CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Newbie

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: multiple characters
 Post Posted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:19 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

this may be too early to talk about, but are there plans for multiple character slots? i know im probably going to be crazy busy on one character's story to try to get another storyline started, but i do like to try out different abilities and see how the stories change based on different decisions.

Post subject: Re: multiple characters
 Post Posted: Mon May 09, 2011 1:37 am 
Citadel Guardian

There will be multiple character slots (what kind of MMO wouldn't have that :) ) :lol:

Post Posted: Mon May 09, 2011 4:06 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Hmm, I'm not so sure. Even an army of writers can only create so many unique quests for each individual character. But, maybe they have that covered as well.

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:42 am 

Lonfer wrote:
Hmm, I'm not so sure. Even an army of writers can only create so many unique quests for each individual character. But, maybe they have that covered as well.

Lots of variables; And a stonking quest generator..... I hope it is one charachter per account or only one active char per account.

Look Down.....

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:05 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

why do you say that isane? alexis said theres multiple, which could change i guess, but id just like to know your position on it why you would like only 1.

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:55 am 
Citadel Guardian

Lader wrote:
why do you say that isane? alexis said theres multiple, which could change i guess, but id just like to know your position on it why you would like only 1.

Isane's probably more worried about the incredible amount of data that would need to be stored on the servers for there to be more than one character, and, therefore, storyline, per account.

What would be interesting is if we can have multiple characters per account, but they would be incorporated into the already running storyline of our starting avatar.

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2011 2:28 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

I do not want a split personality

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:57 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Lader wrote:
this may be too early to talk about, but are there plans for multiple character slots? i know im probably going to be crazy busy on one character's story to try to get another storyline started, but i do like to try out different abilities and see how the stories change based on different decisions.

The answer is... never simple. Yes, there will be multiple character slots, and yes, some people will use them, but the game is being designed so that you don't have to, and in some ways, it will slow you down if you do.

Remember, in most games (not all) you choose a Class, then get the abilities they give you at each level. In CoS you have no Class, except what you make. You pick which Abilities you take. So... at any time, with any character, you can just decide, "Hey, I want some Magic Abilities!" And then go get them. Why start a new character? If you do you're just losing all the time and effort you already put in. There is no penalty for starting later in a character's life to get new Abilities. There is no 'Fast' period at the beginning where you get them faster, and then slow with time. Your rate of progress in CoS is near constant, so when you want something new, just go get it.

So why even have extra slots? Lots of reasons. The first is, people will freak out on us if we didn't, just because they are used to having them. Second (and far more important than the freaking out issue), some players are true role players. They ACT differently with a different character. For them it isn't about how fast and powerful they can build a character, it's about how they play 'Bob the Knife' vs. 'Joe Bruiser'. So, for the, character slots.

But... if you are like me... and just want to make the baddest dude you can make in the shortest time... stick with one PC, you can always change him (or her) anytime you want into what you need, and retain all their previous skills, Abilities, HP, etc.

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:08 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

for me its that i want to experience different stories. if i get a quest to kill someone early in my career on one character, its going to affect me for the rest of my play, which quests i can get in the future, who views me favorably vs who hates me. a second character would lead a completely different life, even if i made the same ability choices, i would see different quests and have to make different choices.

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:36 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Lader wrote:
for me its that i want to experience different stories. if i get a quest to kill someone early in my career on one character, its going to affect me for the rest of my play, which quests i can get in the future, who views me favorably vs who hates me. a second character would lead a completely different life, even if i made the same ability choices, i would see different quests and have to make different choices.

CoS is not the rigid. If you do something that angers a town, just do something to change their opinion of you later. Nothing will take you down the kind of harsh path that you are supposing. Even though a second character could make new enemies (for example), an existing character can also make those same enemies the same way, without starting a new character.

Everything in the game is designed to allow you to keep playing the same character. Starting over will not get you new things that you cannot experience with your original character. I believe that you are thinking that this is Star Wars or something, (in yoda voice) "Once you go down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny."

Except, in CoS, it won't. The game is designed around the concept of balance. You will tip that balance either direction at times, but it can be tipped back to balance again with the right actions. There is never really any need to restart a character because you made 'bad' choices.

We're trying to make this a more realistic world. In the real world if you make an enemy tomorrow, you can't start a new body, you have to deal with it, one way or another. In CoS you can deal with whatever you have done or any choice you made, and the reward for doing so it you will make a more powerful character faster if you solve your issues rather than start a new character (who will no doubt have other issues anyway).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Newbie