CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Newbie




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: multiple characters
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:53 pm 
Offline
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:58 pm
Posts: 155
Location: main()
Raevyn wrote:
Remember, though!

In our game, you CAN change your race :) it takes some effort, but you can do it.


But what if i don't want a race at all. Perhaps I just want to take my time.... booo hisss i know :roll:

_________________
Darkgeek: Sneaking into your mind at night planting subliminal messages


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: multiple characters
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:55 pm 
Offline
Lead Designer
Lead Designer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:00 am
Posts: 1876
Darkgeek wrote:
Raevyn wrote:
Remember, though!

In our game, you CAN change your race :) it takes some effort, but you can do it.


But what if i don't want a race at all. Perhaps I just want to take my time.... booo hisss i know :roll:


You are a race by definition, unless you don't exist. Do you exist?

_________________
Remember, patience is a virtue, kill them later. - Poison: from Cathexis: Conspirator's Coin.
http://www.philipblood.com


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: multiple characters
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:56 pm 
Offline
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:58 pm
Posts: 155
Location: main()
Jatar wrote:

You are a race by definition, unless you don't exist. Do you exist?


I think, therefore i am....evil :twisted:

_________________
Darkgeek: Sneaking into your mind at night planting subliminal messages


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: multiple characters
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:50 pm 
Offline
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:40 am
Posts: 349
Location: MA
Raevyn wrote:
Wyndyn wrote:
Although I can see your point, I want to be able to see the world from the viewpoint of both a Jenemos and a Tyven. I'm sure the story lines for each would be diverse as would be the interactions with others.


Remember, though!

In our game, you CAN change your race :) it takes some effort, but you can do it.


Ahhh, but if you merely change it, you miss the interim story. I will probably change my mind several times on the subject.
(or maybe I won't?)

_________________
If the world ended today, a Jenemos would be there.
"All the world is queer save thee and me, and even thou art a little queer"
---Robert Owen 1828


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: multiple characters
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:53 am 
Offline
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:53 am
Posts: 8
If you have multiple characters, is their map shared? Or do you have to give other characters on your account map parts like you would do for characters of other players.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: multiple characters
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:09 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator

Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:47 pm
Posts: 812
Nedar wrote:
If you have multiple characters, is their map shared? Or do you have to give other characters on your account map parts like you would do for characters of other players.


Nedar , there are threads about this I will dig out but the way the game is designed it is reccomended you have a single charachter , as they can pretty much learn any ability no restrictions...

I haven't seen a shared map question answered and I would guess the answer is no ... But you're most skilled charachter in mapping could always draw your other charachter a map on the cheap.....

_________________
The Signs are in the sky.

Look Down.....


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: multiple characters
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:43 am 
Offline
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:53 am
Posts: 8
I'll probably use multiple characters for role-playing reasons. I think I do even prefer to have a different map for each character as a reminder where each of my characters has been.

Even if I don't find roleplay, I like to have different characters with different strengths and abilities. Let's say sometimes I want to play more melee (specialized in the Hero League and one other League less specialized) and sometimes I want to be more a caster (specialized in the Magic League and a little bit in the Hero League to deal with enemies in melee). If I have only one character who has points in all Leagues, then I could change League, abilities, etc. but it would be not the same as changing a character, because I still have the same charakter (the same look, the same abilities (just not all used at the moment)). And if I just changed abilities my "mage" would be as good in melee as my "melee", because they share the Hero League.

Short version: With just one character, I miss the weaknesses and the differences. I want to be able to say: Now I want to play Thann, my warrior, who is not good at magic and now I want to play Davian, my Mage, who can some melee, but not so good. With one character it would be: Now I play Thavian who can all, but does melee/magic this time.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: multiple characters
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:35 am 
Offline
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:30 am
Posts: 125
Role playing wise, i can see why the need for having multiple characters, that is self evident, am with you on that one :)
However I noticed that you additionally mentioned races, and the individualities of each. Which makes me think that perhaps there has been a bit of confusion in regards to this..a few facts as Jatar has related them to us up to now (you can skip to 4 for races):

1) All CoS abilities can be learned by a single character (and from various, different avenues, some can even drop as a form of 'loot'). Emphasis on learned. Not improved. (i.e. to their max efficiency).

2) All of them can be improved upon / maximised as long as the character is an active member of the respective League they touch upon, and only for as long as that character is a member of their respective League. Emphasis on active. Disassociating from a given League will instantly cause a sort of an internal "hard cap" on 'x' League-related ability, rendering it impossible to improve it further. It may still be used however.

3) A character's switching Leagues is also possible (see n1 as to the reason behind this), at any time whatsoever. That will involve a monetary cost, with the addition of possibly other forms of prerequisites such as quests, tasks, et cetera.

4) A character's race may also be changed within the game. We are meant to understand, though it has not be touched upon, that it would entail a significant amount of effort, but it is possible.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: multiple characters
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:22 am 
Offline
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:53 am
Posts: 8
Good overview Max. This emphasized my points. Sometimes I want to quickly change from one "type" of character to another and therefore I would use multiple characters. In this case "type" includes race, used abilities and active Leagues (thus trainable abilities). If you have only one character, it is comparative easy to change used abilities, as you just use others of them. But to train them further, you also need to change Leagues, that means at least you have to pay something to the Leagues. And with multiple characters I can also quickly change between races (as soon as one character has already changed race from human).


Just as an example: If I have the time to get 100 ability points in a certain time and want to play 2 types of characters (Davian: mage/hero, Thann: hero/spirit), I would rather distribute them to two characters
Davian: 40 mage / 10hero
Thann: 40 hero / 10spirit
than to only one character
Thavian: 45 mage / 45 hero / 10 spirit
even if Thavian would be better in both the mage/hero type and the hero/spirit type, because in the case of two characters I need to use some points for hero abilities twice. But I would have the advantage, that I can change quickly between mage/hero and hero/spirit, because I just have to login with another character.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: multiple characters
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:31 am 
Offline
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:30 am
Posts: 125
I can more than relate with that, don't worry :)
I function similarly too, the above was just so you are made aware of what our limitations, or in the case of CoS, lack of limitations are. Should be sporting a variety of characters myself !


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Newbie


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron