CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Newbie

Post subject: Loot and enemy size
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:28 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

This may be a dumb question and sorry if it's too early to ask this, but will enemies drop loot? Since this game isn't going to be like regular mmos I'm wondering if loot drops will still happen. Also will the loot drops be realistic? In other mmos you can kill a fiery demon wearing nothing and wielding no weapons and when you kill it, it drops gold, a sword, some potions or other things it wouldn't have. Or if you kill a wolf in a forest in some mmo's it has a shield or armor. I hope this isn't the case in CoS. Also will some enemies be unrealistically huge in size. Some bosses in other mmos are the size of skyscrapers or massive buildings and players simply attack its feet to damage it. I understand if this is kind of out of the question but I was just wondering since it usually takes away from the immersion of the fights somehow.

Post subject: Re: Loot and enemy size
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:13 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Jatar wrote:
We will not drop inappropriate items from monsters, it was always planned that way. What you see them using is what they will have. If we want them to have rewards that would not be appropriate for that creature, there will instead be some kind of nest or other method of finding treasure. Example, some wasp creatures might not have treasure on them, but near their nest there might be corpses of other adventurers who died trying to kill them, and those bodies might have 'gold'. Or, a monster might use treasure to make their nest, like a bird using sticks and string. Thanks like that. Anyway, we're trying to make a logical world where you can get lost in this as a real/fantasy place, rather than a game.

Still searching for the other part of your question. I know I have seen it -_-

Post Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:18 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

oh! thank you for the answer and sorry that it was already asked earlier:(

Post Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:24 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

That is what I am here for so I really don't mind. Besides I have access to some stuff from the Devs which we are supposed to use to answer questions like yours. Though in some cases the search function does help. ;)

As to the size of monsters I can't find the info atm to back it up. I think Monsters will be similar to real life and realistic. That is what this game is all about in the end though I will send Isane a message in a moment to try and see if he knows the answer. He is away from his comp though so it may take a while till he answers.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:27 am 

Post not a lot that I can add you got the bit about nests and lairs close to monsters to create a genuine loot cycle.

As for size some of the monsters will be off the scale with respect to Humans, but that will be based on the creature how or what has modfied it .... What the Demons or Morphael has done to the pool souls. I think in general the approach of the Dev team is that of realism with respect a fantasy setting.

On top of that you have the wildlands and who knows what is out there. So it would be sad if there weren't any large foes within the general, Giant/Elemental/Dragon/Titan categories somewhere out there obviously most of these will have a CoS spin on them and be called. Theres a few threads knocking about with respect to Monster types.

Look Down.....

Post Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:32 am 
Producer
Producer

If they are carrying a visible piece of equipment then that's likely what they will drop. Some other things may be in their inventory but wolves won't be carrying shields (unless it looks like someone tied a shield to it I suppose? :P)

We don't have trash loot, but nothing that drops is worthless. That's al I can say until Alpha.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:36 am 
Hero of the Citadel

Morphael wrote:

We don't have trash loot, but nothing that drops is worthless. That's al I can say until Alpha.

Dont trust those words....
Morphael is definitely bluffing....

Post Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:40 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Morphael ALWAYS says what he means!
But, what you thought you heard him say may not be what he means at all!

Post Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:47 am 
Producer
Producer

As strange as it sounds.. our loot system is so innovative that we can't talk about it until after it's already in the game where Alpha testers will see it anyway. Like everything else it fits into the lore and the world and isn't just tacked on. It's logical to our game.

Innovation doesn't always come in massive leaps.. sometimes the smallest ones are a "duh" moment.

There.. Merry Christmas :P

Post Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:49 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

What we think he said... Wait I remember seeing almost this exact same thing in the original developer updates that happened every could of months or so. Almost word for word. Therefore it must be the truth. Anyway loot with meaning is an excellent concept and I would love to see the execution, but alas we must wait.

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Newbie