CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Newbie




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:50 pm 
Offline
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 9
Hello all.
After finding out about the amazing things CoS is doing in game development and basically breaking all the boring rules of about every other MMORPG on the planet I soon donated at the $250 level. But I do have a few questions still. Will there be flying mounts? What other types of transportation will be available to explore such a vast game world? How about teleports and teleport spells? It would be a total shame to have the most amazing, incredibly massive, non static game world of any MMORPG without flying mounts to explore it. From what I see the CoS world will be MUCH bigger than any other MMORPG to date. So any info someone can provide on these questions would be great thanks in advance, and keep up the good work CoS team!

CWB


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:00 pm 
Offline
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:41 pm
Posts: 100
No flying mounts (at least no controllable ones).

As for traveling, that's actually the subject of the next webcast.

_________________
Citadel of Sorcery Wiki


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:55 pm 
Offline
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:00 am
Posts: 493
Location: Denver, CO, USA
Jatar commented a little on mounts in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2027&start=10 .

Since you donated at the $250 level, you can attend the webcast Antilurker mentioned on June 29th. I hope more people can make this one. Last time Antilurker and I were the only non-developers who attended.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:21 pm 
Offline
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:40 am
Posts: 349
Location: MA
Dang, I hate my schedule .... Saturday afternoons (east coast) are my gaming group. Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay at the moment. I might be able to attend if I show up to the game late .....

_________________
If the world ended today, a Jenemos would be there.
"All the world is queer save thee and me, and even thou art a little queer"
---Robert Owen 1828


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:13 am 
Offline
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 9
Antilurker77 wrote:
No flying mounts (at least no controllable ones).

As for traveling, that's actually the subject of the next webcast.




No flying mounts at all?...in a game world that completely dwarfs any other game world in all gaming history?...wow thats not good...


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:53 pm 
Offline
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 12:07 pm
Posts: 134
CWB wrote:
Antilurker77 wrote:
No flying mounts (at least no controllable ones).

As for traveling, that's actually the subject of the next webcast.




No flying mounts at all?...in a game world that completely dwarfs any other game world in all gaming history?...wow thats not good...

I see one very large problem with player controlled mounts on release. Flying mounts would allow you to explore and travel large distances without ever needing to worry about the dangers of traveling. This would make the whole point of exploring very trivial on release. It would probably take a long time to incorporate arieal battles into the engine, and this is not worthspending time or resources on developing. Also I imagine lots of people wouldn't enjoy the idea of their mount dying in the air with them plummeting to their death. Which would happen if you are flying on something slow like a pegasus, and are attacked by a wyvern so you have no chance at escaping.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:24 pm 
Offline
Lead Designer
Lead Designer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:00 am
Posts: 1876
CWB wrote:
Antilurker77 wrote:
No flying mounts (at least no controllable ones).

As for traveling, that's actually the subject of the next webcast.




No flying mounts at all?...in a game world that completely dwarfs any other game world in all gaming history?...wow thats not good...


I never said there wouldn't be flying mounts, I have said you will not own one. There will be aerial battles, and all kinds of flying mounts. These included very fast ones to very maneuverable ones. There are places you can't even reach without one. However, we don't want players flying over all of our ground based adventures, so you will obtain flying mounts at the times they are best for the situation at hand.

_________________
Remember, patience is a virtue, kill them later. - Poison: from Cathexis: Conspirator's Coin.
http://www.philipblood.com


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:13 pm 
Offline
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 9
Jatar wrote:
CWB wrote:
Antilurker77 wrote:
No flying mounts (at least no controllable ones).

As for traveling, that's actually the subject of the next webcast.




No flying mounts at all?...in a game world that completely dwarfs any other game world in all gaming history?...wow thats not good...


I never said there wouldn't be flying mounts, I have said you will not own one. There will be aerial battles, and all kinds of flying mounts. These included very fast ones to very maneuverable ones. There are places you can't even reach without one. However, we don't want players flying over all of our ground based adventures, so you will obtain flying mounts at the times they are best for the situation at hand.



Ok so the only real flying mounts are restricted flyers for these aerial battles and the situations where one might be required to access other parts of the game only accessible through a non player controlled flyer...wow I wasnt expecting that hehe. I just thought for sure with a game world as incredibly massive as CoS's, the player would have the option of owning a flyer. Even with fully player controlled flying mounts for travel the task of exploring every nook and cranny of a record breaking insanely massive game world, would still be basically impossible without multiple years of time dedicated specifically to that task. Im a big fan of flying mounts, I think just having a mount that can fly is an amazing experience in a MMORPG. It allows travel without being forced to fight every single mob along the way. I also like screenshotting lots of cool places I go in my adventures, and the best screens I get are always from the air on a flyer. On the other hand I guess I also understand not wanting the player to fly over lots of good adventures in the form of quests etc., but ultimately I think it should be the players choice to fly where he wants, find a neat place to land/explore, then do his adventures there. Either way thanks for the feedback and good info Im looking forward to trying CoS. I think its going to be unlike all the other boring MMORPGs Ive seen in many years.

CWB


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:59 pm 
Offline
Lead Designer
Lead Designer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:00 am
Posts: 1876
CWB wrote:
Ok so the only real flying mounts are restricted flyers for these aerial battles and the situations where one might be required to access other parts of the game only accessible through a non player controlled flyer...wow I wasnt expecting that hehe. I just thought for sure with a game world as incredibly massive as CoS's, the player would have the option of owning a flyer. Even with fully player controlled flying mounts for travel the task of exploring every nook and cranny of a record breaking insanely massive game world, would still be basically impossible without multiple years of time dedicated specifically to that task. Im a big fan of flying mounts, I think just having a mount that can fly is an amazing experience in a MMORPG. It allows travel without being forced to fight every single mob along the way. I also like screenshotting lots of cool places I go in my adventures, and the best screens I get are always from the air on a flyer. On the other hand I guess I also understand not wanting the player to fly over lots of good adventures in the form of quests etc., but ultimately I think it should be the players choice to fly where he wants, find a neat place to land/explore, then do his adventures there. Either way thanks for the feedback and good info Im looking forward to trying CoS. I think its going to be unlike all the other boring MMORPGs Ive seen in many years.

CWB


Except CoS isn't like every other MMORPG, and you don't have the same kind of fighting monsters on the ground every few feet. The size of the world seems like it would lend to flying mounts, but it doesn't. The opposite in a lot of ways. Most flying mount games (hell, ALL of them) are in tiny fish bowls when compared to CoS. They don't have to worry about you flying out of the area you are questing in, because you CAN'T. Games like WoW, as a simple example, which their entire 'continent' (really, they call that a continent?, It's more like a suburb) is exactly three pixels by three pixels on our full map of the world. Due to this you are trapped in a tiny area.

With a full size planet you can literally go too far on a flying mount, traveling over the top of all the game play that we put in for players, seeing none of it. This turns what would be a grand adventure into a boring flight over endless terrain.

Anyway, sorry you are disappointed, but in truth players of other MMORPGs have no real understanding of what this game world will be like simply because they have not played in a world like this, ever. I can easily say this because there is no game world like CoS. Not just the size, though that is part of it, but the way that your adventures and opponents work. There are no monsters to fight along the way, not like you are used to. You gain information, you act on the information in a logical (or illogical, that's up to you) manner. But what you never do while traveling the world is run into monsters standing around in the next area waiting for players to get into agro range. We just don't have that.

Finally, you think you will be limited by the fact that you don't own a mount, when I'm telling you that you will have FAR more world to explore by air than you have EVER had in another game. We give you a mount at times, and during those times you might be in an area 100 times larger than the entire game in any other MMORPG. But there are just times when we need you on the ground because that's what the story requires. It would have sure been great for Frodo to have just gotten on a giant eagle and flown to Mt. Doom. That way there wouldn't have been a book/movie we need to see. Right?

_________________
Remember, patience is a virtue, kill them later. - Poison: from Cathexis: Conspirator's Coin.
http://www.philipblood.com


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:52 pm 
Offline
Team Member
Team Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:07 am
Posts: 292
Jatar wrote:
It would have sure been great for Frodo to have just gotten on a giant eagle and flown to Mt. Doom. That way there wouldn't have been a book/movie we need to see. Right?


This ^^

In order to put flying into the game and have the game still function properly would probably mean years more of work for us. At this point in development, we've got so many innovative, new things planned that you won't worry about flying :) When we do it, we're going to do it right - so be on the lookout for our Space-based game ( http://mmomagic.com/Games_InDevl.php ) in the future :)

_________________
"Purging is at last at hand. Day of Doom is here. All that is evil, all their allies; your parents, your leaders, those who would call themselves your judges; those who have lied and corrupted the Earth, they shall all be cleansed." ~Thulsa Doom


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Newbie


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron