CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Newbie

Post Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:22 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

I'm not sure if this is explained or touched upon somewhere, but I just wanted to ask about the speed of combat a little bit. I know that combat will be very challenging and strategic and we will have to use a variety of different tactics in each battle to overcome enemies. I love this and am REALLY looking forward to this.

But how fast will the battles be though? Will it depend on the enemies we face? I'm pretty weird when it comes to this. With some enemies, such as common, weaker foes, I usually prefer the fights to happen quickly. Against considerably stronger enemies though, since these will be tough opponents, I usually prefer the fights to have a slower pace, allowing me to observe my enemy, or maybe allow them to make the first move so I can observe them and formulate a proper strategy against them. In these types of battles, I like the fight to seem more like a drawn out chess match.

I know this is a strange question but I'm just wondering basically how fast some enemies will attack us. I notice in most if not all mmo's that mobs all have a similar speed and pattern of attacking. In CoS will different enemies attack at different paces? Will some enemies blindly rush in, attacking fast and trying to kill? Will some enemies not rush in right away and instead fight at a slower pace to observe and formulate their own strategies to undermine us? Or will it not matter and will enemies all just be unique and surprise us? Any answers would be very helpful! :)

Post Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:21 am 

Its not a strange question at all. Yes, all of what you mentioned will happen. The weaker monsters will be not much to handle, but when it comes to an even match, you really need to slow right down and observe. There are no health bars nor stat screens, showing you how strong your foes are.

The AI will stop and think, use terrain, group and guerrilla tactics against you. Each individual monster has its own personality and stats, along with skills. The way small scale battles seem to be explained so far, makes it sound similar to a fencing match. A stand off at the start, 1 person makes the first move, 3-5 pokes and blocks, then both stand back again, think and examine. Just off those few strikes, you can get a good sense of how strong they are, assuming you were paying attention.

Battle length will typically be determined by motor skill and brain, not just by stacking health and defence. The combat is what I'm looking forward to the most of CoS. :)

Post Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:13 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

That's great to hear!:) Combat is also something I'm really looking forward to as well. I'm glad even weaker, more common enemies will provide a challenge if we're not too careful. I'm glad all enemies will keep us thinking and constantly on our toes and it won't be as simple as simply attacking the enemy till their health runs out. It looks like I'll be able to have those kinds of fights that I want, where me and my opponent slowly observe and plan using different tactics to win, just like in a game of chess.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:24 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

ShadowOfTheAlphaUhm wrote:
There are no health bars nor stat screens, showing you how strong your foes are.

Man this is going to be hell trying to deal with. Its bad enough when you are playing DnD and you don't know the hp of something you are killing(while staying in character, or when the DM gives it 10x its hp because why not...). I can only imagine how this will make battles in an MMO. I still remember me kiting around a raid mob solo that was around 10 levels above me in vanguard, and it taking me like an hour and a half to kill. The only thing making me even attempt such things was watching the HP progress bar tick down like back in the good ol days of kazaa :\

Post Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:18 pm 

It's not as bad as it sounds. Bosses aren't just regular mobs with 10x hp and dmg. Also it's a great mechanic, having to assess you'r enemies, not just know everything about them. There are ways to do research on mobs in game, and they have tells aswell, that's the point. A big mob, is going to be slow, a plant mob will have a weakness to fire. Research, assess, plan. This is meant to be a simulation of what it would be like if we were really in a fantasy world, and i relish the challenge. :twisted:

Post Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:52 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

A few corrections here :)

Monsters don't show stats BEFORE a battle. This is so that they can hide in bushes, etc., without a neon sign over their head. However, once you 'discover' them (various ways) you can get some stats by highlighting the foe. There are also Abilities you can run on them to tell you more. There has to be a way to see when something is being damaged. Now, we don't like to put it ON your Foe, but instead show an opponent U.I., just like your own. See Hairy Spider below to see what shows up when you have targeted that spider.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:12 am 
Hero of the Citadel

Woody, Celimah,... are players?

Post Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:13 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Man, my friend and I were getting so excited at this no HP bars thing. Was going to add such a huge element of surprise to PvP where you could viably build something like a really low HP/high regen skill set. Leaving you vulnerable to coordinated spike damage from two players killing you in 3 seconds, but 7 sustained damage players beating on you would never be able to kill you.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:45 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

devilzxdemon wrote:
Woody, Celimah,... are players?

Yes.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:02 pm 

Sorry for that, Bunny. The comment was made that "Mobs don't walk around with hp bars above their heads," and i just assumed. Didn't think to ask if we had UI for it. My bad!

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Newbie