CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Newbie

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:57 am 

my guess is that it would be bad for the economy to go on a murderus rampage though a town killing all the npc shop keepers

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:31 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

mrsideshow wrote:
my guess is that it would be bad for the economy to go on a murderus rampage though a town killing all the npc shop keepers

Well, even worse for the rampager. As we have stated before, we won't stop players from doing things like that, but there will be consequences; we doubt most players will choose to do it twice. Still, I guess some people might enjoy poking out their eye with a sharp stick. :shock:

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:58 am 
Fallen Hero

Jatar wrote:
mrsideshow wrote:

Well, even worse for the rampager.

I don't think it will be too good for the shopkeepers either!

Lack of a denial does not necessarily make an affirmation.

"Stop quoting laws to us. We carry swords."
Plutarch, "Life of Pompey", x, 2

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:17 am 
Citadel Guardian

So this game, in a sense, could turn into a Grand Theft Auto game chase? Lol, I wanna try it...

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:25 am 
Citadel Guardian

Jatar wrote:
mrsideshow wrote:

Well, even worse for the rampager. As we have stated before, we won't stop players from doing things like that, but there will be consequences; we doubt most players will choose to do it twice. Still, I guess some people might enjoy poking out their eye with a sharp stick. :shock:

Jatar, You can bet there will be players who relish the role of being the lone wolf player, or ganker, or griefer if you will. I have played many MMOs ( I know, none have been anything like CoS :) ) and seen players whose sole purpose in the game was to cause discontent and strife for everyone else by disrupting other players game experience.
Recently in Rift, when it first went Live, they had groups of high level Defiants coming into the low level Guardian areas and killing the NPCs so that they were unable to turn in quests. At first it gave us some fun banding together and killing the Defiants and the NPCs would respawn a while later and then we could turn in quests.
Then, it became so frequent players would just log off and turn in quests later. It got to the point that Trion had to make the NPCs more difficult to kill to prevent the "griefing" behavior.
It will be interesting to see what type of game mechanics will be put in place with this type of player in mind in CoS.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:42 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

CenCal wrote:
Jatar wrote:
mrsideshow wrote:

Jatar, You can bet there will be players who relish the role of being the lone wolf player, or ganker, or griefer if you will. I have played many MMOs ( I know, none have been anything like CoS :) ) and seen players whose sole purpose in the game was to cause discontent and strife for everyone else by disrupting other players game experience.
Recently in Rift, when it first went Live, they had groups of high level Defiants coming into the low level Guardian areas and killing the NPCs so that they were unable to turn in quests. At first it gave us some fun banding together and killing the Defiants and the NPCs would respawn a while later and then we could turn in quests.
Then, it became so frequent players would just log off and turn in quests later. It got to the point that Trion had to make the NPCs more difficult to kill to prevent the "griefing" behavior.
It will be interesting to see what type of game mechanics will be put in place with this type of player in mind in CoS.

Ask yourself what keeps you from doing that in real life? You can go try to kill and/or rob people (please don't!). The answer, for most people, is the reward is not worth the punishment. This is the same answer for CoS. We don't stop people from doing evil, we just make them pay, big time. I've gone over this in other threads, you can read up on it more there.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=718

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:32 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

I guess I should give you a bit more than just that players can ignore other players... that still won't stop them from killing shopkeepers...

OK... hmm, how much to tell... alright, I can't go into the actual punishment, not because I don't want to tell you, but because it is part of a system in the game that we are keeping under wraps. Just trust me in that the game will deal out consequences in such a way that players who do that kind of thing will get weaker and weaker, becoming easy prey for bunny rabbits with a bad attitude. No player is going to want to do stuff that will make them die when a monster just breaths on them. There is just no percentage in it, this isn't a PVP game, killing NPCs to get at other players will really only hurt that player that does the deed. First off, you can always just go to a different RW where those same store keepers are still alive. This just isn't an issue in CoS, people who do evil WILL get their comeuppance.

CoS isn't trying to keep you from doing bad things, and many moments during your quests will have very gray choices available. We aren't white washing the world. Some of your choices will result in the death of a good person, but not because you walked in and beheaded a simple shopkeeper for no reason, for that you will pay a heavy price.

On the other hand, so you want to make a bargain with a demon for wealth and/or power... well, that's your business. I would not really recommend it, and I think you may regret it in the end (NEVER trust a demon, even though they will never lie to you... but they will twist things and use every loophole). The point here is... you can choose to do some questionable things, gray areas, choices that aren't all a hero should make. You also live with the consequences, just like real life.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:26 am 
Citadel Guardian

I know you are busy, Thanks for the replies......

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:21 pm 

For me the best system that discouraged gold farmers has been done in Eve. I am assuming the game will be sub based and as such allowing players to buy and sell "time" cards in game for in game currency pretty much eliminates gold farming for real world money.

Basically the developer/publisher sells the time card on their website or whatever channel suits them for real world money. The player then takes that time card and adds it to their account. This would be a different type of time card that people normally buy for their normal subscription. When added to your account this time card then generates an in-game item that can be traded or activated. Once activated in-game it adds game time to whatever account controls the character that activates the card.

So people who have extra Real world money and want more in-game money purchase time cards to sell to players who have lots of in-game money but perhaps not much real world money. This short circuits the gold farming process by giving the players who would use such channels to acquire in-game money a legitimate method of doing so without worrying about getting banned, having their account hacked etc. This also has the side benefit of allowing people who have the extra time to earn in game currency to play for "free" and possibly expand your playerbase by some amount as a result.

The developers lose nothing because every time card is still purchased with real world money at some point in time.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:35 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

pyrith25 wrote:
For me the best system that discouraged gold farmers has been done in Eve. I am assuming the game will be sub based and as such allowing players to buy and sell "time" cards in game for in game currency pretty much eliminates gold farming for real world money.

Basically the developer/publisher sells the time card on their website or whatever channel suits them for real world money. The player then takes that time card and adds it to their account. This would be a different type of time card that people normally buy for their normal subscription. When added to your account this time card then generates an in-game item that can be traded or activated. Once activated in-game it adds game time to whatever account controls the character that activates the card.

So people who have extra Real world money and want more in-game money purchase time cards to sell to players who have lots of in-game money but perhaps not much real world money. This short circuits the gold farming process by giving the players who would use such channels to acquire in-game money a legitimate method of doing so without worrying about getting banned, having their account hacked etc. This also has the side benefit of allowing people who have the extra time to earn in game currency to play for "free" and possibly expand your playerbase by some amount as a result.

The developers lose nothing because every time card is still purchased with real world money at some point in time.

This is a decent system, but CoS uses a new system that we have not seen before, and therefore are not willing to explain yet, that makes our game unable to farm. We will release more on it closer to beta.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Newbie