CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Off Topic » The Ratskeller

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:51 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

One of our forum members was asking me about the latest novel I am working on, so I thought I'd start a new thread about this subject so that it wasn't buried in a different thread.

To tell you about my novels I have to tell you something you could have already have figured out about CoS, and my job here. In case you haven't guessed, I'm the Lead Designer of CoS (hence all the posts answering game design questions). As a fantasy novelist and game designer, both of many years, I wrote the story and original game design for this project several years ago. Since then a team of writers and designers have poured over that story and design and it continues to evolve, though I am still the keeper of the overall vision.

My name is Philip Blood; you will need to know that if you want to find any of my books. Here are some places you can read about my novels, or keep up on what I'm doing on future books:

http://www.philipblood.com
http://philipblood.blogspot.com/
philipblood on Twitter

I currently have two series out there, one Trilogy is complete and is called, NexLord, but the four book series I was referring to in the original 'Royal Wedding' thread is called Cathexis: Sorcerer's Ring. It is the third novel in the Cathexis series (the first two already being available as ebooks).

If you want to get a feel for the style of my stories, and the CoS epic storyline is definitely one of those, I humbly suggest you read one or both of my fantasy book series. I'd love to discuss them with you while you are reading them or when you are finished, though we would need to make a 'beware spoilers' thread.

Here is a picture of the cover of the forthcoming, Sorcerer's Ring:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2011 10:37 am 
Citadel Recruit

Dude, that guy is ugly! I went and checked out your Blog and web site. I'm a big reader, (hence, Bookkeeper, I'm not an accountant, I like to keep a lot of books around me :) ) I've read the Belgariad too, great series, though it did piss me off with the ending (the prophecy stuff you mentioned in your Blog).

I'll have to check out your books. I have a Nook, I assume they are for sale at Barnes and Noble as well as Amazon (for those Kindle guys)?

Which series do you recommend I read first?

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2011 11:08 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Bookkeeper wrote:
Dude, that guy is ugly! I went and checked out your Blog and web site. I'm a big reader, (hence, Bookkeeper, I'm not an accountant, I like to keep a lot of books around me :) ) I've read the Belgariad too, great series, though it did piss me off with the ending (the prophecy stuff you mentioned in your Blog).

I'll have to check out your books. I have a Nook, I assume they are for sale at Barnes and Noble as well as Amazon (for those Kindle guys)?

Which series do you recommend I read first?

Well, Nexlord is the obvious choice, as the entire series is already out, but I'm going to release Sorcerer's Ring, the third novel in the Cathexis series, in six to ten weeks, so it depends on how fast you read. Not sure when I'll get to the last book, Desecrator's Sword.

Cathexis is a bit more traditional Fantasy, with some truly epic evil characters (the one on the cover is SCorcH, a Necromancer) and great heroes in a grand saga where the entire world hangs in the balance.

NexLord is a little less traditional, but I don't want to spoil any surprises.

You chose.

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:19 pm 
Citadel Guardian

Damn your online novels! I would def buy+ read if there were on paper, im old fashioned lol. I've read through the first chapter on the done series, cnt remember the name. I like it, will def carry on reading (will buy it as soon as i get some funds lol)

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2011 5:04 am 
Citadel Recruit

Oh my, i didn't know...
Lead designer writing fantasy novels? No wonder the game seems to be so exciting.
The books could ease the pain of waiting for the game i guess :D

Post Posted: Sat May 07, 2011 3:27 pm 

Lohain wrote:
Oh my, i didn't know...
Lead designer writing fantasy novels? No wonder the game seems to be so exciting.
The books could ease the pain of waiting for the game i guess :D

The game is like dozens of Novels ; Mish mashed together I would guess , Jatar has given the game away and it makes a lot of sense now....

Look Down.....

Post Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 3:18 am 
Citadel Guardian

fianlly i have free time! I will start to read one of your books

You cannot make another post so soon after your last. :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted:

Post Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:35 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

The re-write of Sorcerer's Ring has been slow going, most of my time has to be spent on CoS, but I am closing in on the final edit of this third novel from the Cathexis double trilogy. Yes, double trilogy, it's kind of two stories intertwined, the first story starting in book one, and climaxing in book three, while the second story begins in book two and climaxes in book four. Not that you will really notice this, other than the fact that book three has a major climax and so does book four. Both use the same characters, and in many ways it is also one big story... hard to explain because I can't give anything away, but that's what it is, a double Trilogy. :)

So, Sorcerer's Ring, book three of Cathexis, and one of the big climax novels... will soon be finished and epublished. Not sure how fast I'll get book four done, though the novel is written, it needs a lot of re-writing. I'll find time somewhere, after all, who needs sleep?

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:49 am 
Citadel Guardian

I'm about a quarter of the way though Necromancer's Dagger. So far, it's really good! :D Although you should tell your editor to do a better job. :( I'm about to dive back into it for a while, Probably get another quarter done before I quit. :)

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:16 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

AngelofChaos wrote:
I'm about a quarter of the way though Necromancer's Dagger. So far, it's really good! :D Although you should tell your editor to do a better job. :( I'm about to dive back into it for a while, Probably get another quarter done before I quit. :)

I'm glad you are enjoying the book. The series is a building story, it gets better the deeper you get. I didn't want to overwhelm the reader, so it reveals the deeper plots slowly. As for my editor... there is a reason there are still some typos and such here and there... I don't have an editor. These are straight off the old noggin. Editors are expensive (about $30,000 to edit this series), and these novels are not my job, just my hobby. Making games... that's what I do for a living, writing novels is just for fun. Eventually I might have an editor go through them (and that would clean up a few of these small errors) but it won't change the story. So look at it this way, you get the full story, a few typos, but I don't have to charge $8.95 for each novel trying to pay for that editor. :)

But if you like book one, you are going to love two and three and four. To quote one of my favorite characters from Sorcerer's Ring:

"It could be quite a show; I almost hate to miss it," he gloated, "dying priests flying every which way! Kirnath aura blasts sizzling the air, priests howling for their hairy god and turning their bodies into horrible creatures. Death, destruction and utter mayhem... now that's entertainment!"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

Board index » Off Topic » The Ratskeller