CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Off Topic » The Ratskeller

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:24 am 
Hero of the Citadel

I believe that after aliens will make contact with our planet mages, witch's, vampires, ghosts and many more will be made available or will become available in reality in abundance(as man wont mind vampires, werewolves but will mind the aliens).....

I think it must have been an alien who started mages in games thou......

Must have been an alien who introduced the word and meaning of magic to humans and thus allowed mages and witch's to evolve in our imaginations.....

Post Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:09 pm 
Producer
Producer

gphysalis wrote:
Life existing outside Earth: Definitely
Intelligent life existing outside Earth: Almost Definitely
Other intelligent life in our galaxy: possibly
Intelligent life with interstellar travel within 10000 light years of Earth at some point: unlikely
Aliens with interstellar travel at the same time that we could detect them: no

If aliens exist, we will probably never see them.

Intelligent life existing on Earth: undetermined ;)

Kidding aside.

I think the chance of any alien life with space travel capabilities would exist further towards the center of the universe (they've been around longer :lol: ) and the light that we're seeing now from the creation of the universe has been travelling for millions of years.

It's possible that they have been travelling since then and we just can't see them yet... or we aren't looking in the right place.

Your point of course stands that space is vast. Larger than most people can comprehend, and the chance that an alien space faring civilization would even find us, and then go through all the trouble to hide from us, seems a bit far fetched IMO.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:21 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Even if they're out there, unless they have some revolutionary technology that helps them see planets in real time (rather than billions of years in the past) I doubt they actually know we exist.

Thank you for the Dr. Neil's link. He's one of the people I really enjoy and respect.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:30 pm 
Producer
Producer

Neil is really the next Carl Sagan. Neil actually knew Carl too, and has an excellent story about meeting him that really shows how great of a man Carl was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeqrN3Bfro8
A longer version here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy0K_vOD ... re=related

Cosmos is probably the best science series of all time. I'm interested to see how Neil handles hosting the upcoming reboot (thanks to Seth McFarlane).. on Fox no less.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:00 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Note: everything I say in here are things I read here and there, but I can not be bothered looking for the original on the web :). So I'll likely advance no proofs.

Well, consdering life is only a giant computer simulation, yes, extra-terrestrial life has to exist.

The best way to explain it would be the movie "the Thirteenth floor" and "the matrix" to some level.

I believe I saw an article a couple of months ago, where scientists were advancing the very serious possibility that when a civilization reaches a certain level of technology, they'll develop the mean to create artificial intelligence, and in time, a virtual world based on their own life form (the easiest to replicate, since all know laws are well... known). Based on this, it's not unrealistic at all to consider that we are within that boundaries too, created by some other race as a virtual simulation of some kind. So we could well be living in the most realistic simulation to do date, for us anyway.

If this is accurate, it could explain quite a few things, including the bible. Let's say for argument sake we live in virtual reality, first, we had the bible version. Then, it did not work out, and the great flood and what not was the new patch, with a new history/lore, because the old one was not what was expected. So now, we have dinosaurs, fossil fuels, electricity etc, which are things we can use (you gotta admit that life in the bible was quite boring, and not really prone to massive technological advancements).

As more discoveries are made, our history actually changes, let's take egyptians for example, it's becoming harder and harder to deny they had knowledge they should not have (anti gravity devices, not yet proven, but hard to disprove, and electricity, which has already been proven). Other so called primitive civilization also achieved feats that even nowadays could only be matched by laser cutting technology.

Does extra-terrestrial life exist? It has to. Just look at the oddities of the moon for starters. It is way too big to orbit the earth, it's distance is not right, and the mainstream explanation of the creation of the moon simply makes no sense whatsoever. For starters, if it was a chunk of earth, it's composition would have similarities to earth, which to my knowledge is not the case at all. I have also read somewhere that nasa bombed the moon, for unknown reasons, and it resonated for hours, making it appear as if the moon was hollow.

Next you have people like David Icke, advancing some really really weird stuff, which seems completly insane (I believe the hollow moon came from him), but as time passes, can not be proven wrong, and in many cases have been proven right (hard to debate his NWO conspiracy nowadays), the lizard thing is also getting harder and harder to debate all things considered (ever heard of that little kid that traced the ancestry of all american presidents?).

There are many pieces coming to light, especially in the last century, that do seem to point at some really unbelivable things, but yet again, 500 years ago, the earth was flat, and it was as unbelivable to them that it was round(ish) as it is to us now that we are visited by extra terrestrial beings :).

You also have the more simple explanations of alternate realities, which is accepted by the scientific community. Let's assume what we call extra terrestrials are simply our equivalent, visiting earth from another dimension, where physics laws are different than ours. All of a sudden, it becomes a lot easier to swallow in my opinion :). This explanation removes the boundaries of faster than light travel, and all the things that entails... Then again, there's a warp drive being worked on already, so you know, I think all of this is possible.

The next possible argument, would be the hindu writting, if you remove the mystical aspects, and replace them with technical terms, you get factions of flying machines fighting each others. I think you can get the equivalent from the bible also.

As far as buddhism goes, it would in my opinion, support the virtual reality option, when one awakens, one will be granted incredible powers, and be able to change everything, but will also realize the futility of it. Let's say the game masters spot someone using abilities they should not have, they're likely to undo any changes done by the user, or simply go back to a previous back, and fix the bug (that would explain deja vues in some way).

There was also a comparaison done on that giant stone that was moved, using custom made trucks and lifts. I believe it was moving at 5Mph (possibly lower), can you imagine the egyptian without said truck moving the pyramid's parts, and crossing large part of an entire continent to bring the stones from the quarry... walking in sand on top of that.

I think all options are summed up with this Matrix quote: "What is REAL? if real is what you can see, hear, touch, taste, feel. Then real is only electrical signals interpreted by your brain". If that statement is indeed accurate, it would explain a lot of things from people having supposely done incredible/impossible feats (like the flying fighting monks, behaded in the 13th century if I'm not mistaken).

At the end of the day, reality will be what we choose to believe, and I choose to believe all the above is true :)

Post Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:59 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

I believe in aliens, but not in UFOs (at least any that have been reported so far). Just not enough proof there for me. On the other hand, to believe we are the only life in the universe seems rather arrogant, with the numbers of planets out there (trillions upon trillions). I like how shows talk about how it took a planet hitting earth to create life, or how life had to develop on Mars and then be knocked off and deposited in our oceans to create life (that's a new theory), or how we have to have a single moon of this size, or how far from the sun we have to be, or how we need a planet like Jupiter out there playing goalie for life to last on earth. All of these things can add up to a one in a trillion chance, and there would still be plenty of other 'earths' out there due to the sheer number of planets in the Universe.

That's the science view, if you want the religious view, then think about this, if there is a God, why would he/she/it be so wasteful as to create trillions of worlds if he/she/it only needed earth? I'm thinking anyone that smart would not be that wasteful.

Either way, life is out there on other planets. I'm just not sure that intelligent life has come to visit us without stopping to say 'hi'. It seems a bit silly to come this far and then stay hidden. Or to have the technology to travel the vast distances of space only to crash land in area 51.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:35 am 

Jatar wrote:
That's the science view
well... not really. I'm surprised nobody has tried to see the actual chances of life emerging on its own. It's actually easy enough to calculate. In the perfect environment, the odds of DNA forming on its own is 10 to the power of 110,000. For those that don't understand that number, its a 1, with 110,000 0's after it. There is an average of 50 fully habitable planets per galaxy, an average of 1200 that are close though. even if there is trillions upon trillions of galaxies, you'll still only get maybe a 15 digit number of habitable planets. Which means that you can reset the universe... quite a few times, before its even realistic to get a single life form.

If you want the religious view, then think about this, if there is a God, why would he/she/it be so wasteful as to create trillions of worlds if he/she/it only needed earth? I'm thinking anyone that smart would not be that wasteful.

He may have made them because to be eventually populated. The last commandment adam and eve got was to populate the Earth. After that he probably would have told them to populate the universe.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:12 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

ShadowOfTheAlphaUhm wrote:
Jatar wrote:
That's the science view
well... not really. I'm surprised nobody has tried to see the actual chances of life emerging on its own. It's actually easy enough to calculate. In the perfect environment, the odds of DNA forming on its own is 10 to the power of 110,000. For those that don't understand that number, its a 1, with 110,000 0's after it. There is an average of 50 fully habitable planets per galaxy, an average of 1200 that are close though. even if there is trillions upon trillions of galaxies, you'll still only get maybe a 15 digit number of habitable planets. Which means that you can reset the universe... quite a few times, before its even realistic to get a single life form.

Perhaps you would like to quote where you get these numbers from? Odds of DNA forming, that's just silly. There is no consensus to any of that. Average of 50 fully habitable plants, hah, no data or consensus there either. We haven't looked at a tiny fraction of the planets in just our galaxy yet. All we DO know is that we are finding plants around star systems, and that there are lots of them, and there are billions of stars in just our galaxy. Anything else is pure un-substantiated speculation. All of your numbers are useless and unrealistic to any discussion.

If you want the religious view, then think about this, if there is a God, why would he/she/it be so wasteful as to create trillions of worlds if he/she/it only needed earth? I'm thinking anyone that smart would not be that wasteful.

He may have made them because to be eventually populated. The last commandment adam and eve got was to populate the Earth. After that he probably would have told them to populate the universe.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:14 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Numbers can be quoted by anyone when they are speculating, which is what you are doing. I don't accept any of your numbers, nor do I accept these:

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1525 ... e-universe

Post Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:20 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Quoting you from above:

"He may have made them because to be eventually populated. The last commandment adam and eve got was to populate the Earth. After that he probably would have told them to populate the universe."

Really? You are going to use the bible as your reference and then ignore it in the same sentence? Populate the Earth, not the Universe. So either accept the bible or ignore it, but don't use it as an example and then contradict it as well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Off Topic » The Ratskeller