CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Reflected Worlds




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Transportation
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:52 am 
Offline
Citadel Guardian
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 10:24 pm
Posts: 85
Location: Clown Town
I think there was a thread on mounts in the General game forums, but I'm more interested in the naturally occuring ways to travel. Portals, teleports, Running, swimming, flying (Gargoyles can probably hover at least...), jumping off cliffs (because it's fun), etc.

I'm also interested in how mobs travel themselves (do they have caravans?) as well as the lore on how demons traveled through the RW dimensions.

Last question would be how the mapping skill(set) might improve transportation. Would it give us access to hidden maps of yore that give us underground shortcuts? Would it do something fancy like improving travel times by correcting the pathing used while lower levels keep bumping into brush and trees?

_________________
Image

"Happiness and moral duty are inseparably connected."
~George Washington


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Transportation
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:00 pm 
Offline
Lead Designer
Lead Designer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:00 am
Posts: 1876
Laughing Clown wrote:
I think there was a thread on mounts in the General game forums, but I'm more interested in the naturally occuring ways to travel. Portals, teleports, Running, swimming, flying (Gargoyles can probably hover at least...), jumping off cliffs (because it's fun), etc.

I'm also interested in how mobs travel themselves (do they have caravans?) as well as the lore on how demons traveled through the RW dimensions.

Last question would be how the mapping skill(set) might improve transportation. Would it give us access to hidden maps of yore that give us underground shortcuts? Would it do something fancy like improving travel times by correcting the pathing used while lower levels keep bumping into brush and trees?


Lots of questions here, I'll try to answer at least some of these.

1) Permanent Portals: There are permanent portals in the world, these are of the variety that you must go to one via mundane travel before you can teleport to it in the future.
2) Personal Portals: We also have personal portals, but these only work between an RW and the Citadel. There is a lot of information about how these work, but I can't go into it much right now, I will mention that there is a spell that blocks personal portals in an area, but there is a lot more about these we will release later.
3) Run: Running wears you out, and you might have to walk (though there are methods of extending this, more on those later).
4) Swimming: yes, both surface and underwater. Waerians have gills, so they can do this indefinitely, other races have to use spells, etc. to stay down long.
5) Flying: players won't be flying (like superman), but they will be able to use flying mounts on occasion (though not own them permanently).
6) Air Corridor Flying (continuing answers to the flying question), for long distance travel (since our world is MASSIVE) you can summon a spirit realm creature into the real world and fly. These flying mounts have a special ability that other flying mounts do not have, they can enter air corridors. Once they hit one of these they accelerate to crazy speeds, but cannot turn until they exit the corridor (think wormhole, but you are still seeing the world go by and are in the atmosphere, not space). These are used to travel extreme distances, (thousands of Kilometers sometimes, hundreds at least).
7) Stepping stones: For local fast travel there is a stepping stone system. One stone shunts you to the next, almost instantly, though again, you see the world zip by. These are used for more local travel where the distances are long. You may take your mount (horse, etc.) on Stepping Stones.
8) Mobs: Opponents travel in much the same way players do: portals, stepping stones, mounts, etc. They may move in large groups (armies) or small raiding parties, and sometimes alone.
9) Demons: This is a bit different, since demons come from another universe. They have methods of opening rifts to the RWs, but there are limitations to this that you will need to learn more about as you play. They may also be summoned to the RWs by players, or NPCs opening a Fool's Star and performing a specific ritual (you'll learn more about that as you play as well). Once in the world, Demons travel much the way everyone does as they are not limited by the rules of this universe.
10) Mapping helps you in a few ways, like learning where entrances to Air Corridors are (and exits), mapping the stepping stone systems, and permanent portals. A worse map (lower quality that you might purchase) might be sketchy, not showing all Air Corridors, Portals and Stepping Stones, or worse, showing the wrong locations for these, either by being off, or reporting ones that were destroyed after the map was made, etc.

This isn't a full answer on many of these subjects, some things we aren't releasing yet, and somethings we want you to discover by playing.

_________________
Remember, patience is a virtue, kill them later. - Poison: from Cathexis: Conspirator's Coin.
http://www.philipblood.com


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Transportation
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:16 pm 
Offline
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:58 pm
Posts: 155
Location: main()
Jatar wrote:
1) Permanent Portals: There are permanent portals in the world, these are of the variety that you must go to one via mundane travel before you can teleport to it in the future.
2) Personal Portals: We also have personal portals, but these only work between an RW and the Citadel. There is a lot of information about how these work, but I can't go into it much right now, I will mention that there is a spell that blocks personal portals in an area, but there is a lot more about these we will release later.
3) Run: Running wears you out, and you might have to walk (though there are methods of extending this, more on those later).
4) Swimming: yes, both surface and underwater. Waerians have gills, so they can do this indefinitely, other races have to use spells, etc. to stay down long.
5) Flying: players won't be flying (like superman), but they will be able to use flying mounts on occasion (though not own them permanently).
6) Air Corridor Flying (continuing answers to the flying question), for long distance travel (since our world is MASSIVE) you can summon a spirit realm creature into the real world and fly. These flying mounts have a special ability that other flying mounts do not have, they can enter air corridors. Once they hit one of these they accelerate to crazy speeds, but cannot turn until they exit the corridor (think wormhole, but you are still seeing the world go by and are in the atmosphere, not space). These are used to travel extreme distances, (thousands of Kilometers sometimes, hundreds at least).
7) Stepping stones: For local fast travel there is a stepping stone system. One stone shunts you to the next, almost instantly, though again, you see the world zip by. These are used for more local travel where the distances are long. You may take your mount (horse, etc.) on Stepping Stones.
8) Mobs: Opponents travel in much the same way players do: portals, stepping stones, mounts, etc. They may move in large groups (armies) or small raiding parties, and sometimes alone.
9) Demons: This is a bit different, since demons come from another universe. They have methods of opening rifts to the RWs, but there are limitations to this that you will need to learn more about as you play. They may also be summoned to the RWs by players, or NPCs opening a Fool's Star and performing a specific ritual (you'll learn more about that as you play as well). Once in the world, Demons travel much the way everyone does as they are not limited by the rules of this universe.
10) Mapping helps you in a few ways, like learning where entrances to Air Corridors are (and exits), mapping the stepping stone systems, and permanent portals. A worse map (lower quality that you might purchase) might be sketchy, not showing all Air Corridors, Portals and Stepping Stones, or worse, showing the wrong locations for these, either by being off, or reporting ones that were destroyed after the map was made, etc.

This isn't a full answer on many of these subjects, some things we aren't releasing yet, and somethings we want you to discover by playing.


Nice. It looks like travel was well thought out. Lots of options for different situations.

_________________
Darkgeek: Sneaking into your mind at night planting subliminal messages


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Transportation
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:20 pm 
Offline
Citadel Recruit
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:06 am
Posts: 23
Jatar wrote:
7) Stepping stones: For local fast travel there is a stepping stone system. One stone shunts you to the next, almost instantly, though again, you see the world zip by. These are used for more local travel where the distances are long. You may take your mount (horse, etc.) on Stepping Stones.


So, won't stepping stones cause players to zip around everywhere, missing all the encounters and such between places?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Transportation
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:32 pm 
Offline
Lead Designer
Lead Designer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:00 am
Posts: 1876
Bookkeeper wrote:
Jatar wrote:
7) Stepping stones: For local fast travel there is a stepping stone system. One stone shunts you to the next, almost instantly, though again, you see the world zip by. These are used for more local travel where the distances are long. You may take your mount (horse, etc.) on Stepping Stones.


So, won't stepping stones cause players to zip around everywhere, missing all the encounters and such between places?


Not really. Stepping stones aren't everywhere. In fact, there is a lot about these that we haven't released. They will be an important part of making maps. Even in a place where you may use them, since you can't 'get off' at a place between Stepping Stones, you will need to get close, but then go on foot/mount across the terrain to reach the actual destination, leaving plenty of terrain for ambushes, traps, random encounters, chases, etc.

Our game world is so big that without other types of travel options it could take you months, if not years, to travel some distances. That doesn't work well for story pacing, so we are including ways to get you to the area where the action is, with plenty of travel time for the fun stuff. However, we prefer to actually show you the area over which you traveled so that you keep a perspective of the terrain and your relative location in the world (rather than just always teleport you everywhere). This is a real world out there, so we intend to use it rather than teleport you to a few instances as in some other games.

_________________
Remember, patience is a virtue, kill them later. - Poison: from Cathexis: Conspirator's Coin.
http://www.philipblood.com


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Transportation
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:49 pm 
Offline
Citadel Recruit
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:06 am
Posts: 23
Jatar wrote:
Not really. Stepping stones aren't everywhere. In fact, there is a lot about these that we haven't released. They will be an important part of making maps. Even in a place where you may use them, since you can't 'get off' at a place between Stepping Stones, you will need to get close, but then go on foot/mount across the terrain to reach the actual destination, leaving plenty of terrain for ambushes, traps, random encounters, chases, etc.

Our game world is so big that without other types of travel options it could take you months, if not years, to travel some distances. That doesn't work well for story pacing, so we are including ways to get you to the area where the action is, with plenty of travel time for the fun stuff. However, we prefer to actually show you the area over which you traveled so that you keep a perspective of the terrain and your relative location in the world (rather than just always teleport you everywhere). This is a real world out there, so we intend to use it rather than teleport you to a few instances as in some other games.


Great, though I'm wondering about that map! I think I'm going to like this whole map thing (I've gleaned a few things from reading other posts). I am really looking forward to exploring in a world where I won't run out of areas soon, or a map where I'm able to walk across the entire world in 20 minutes. Most of these MMOs take place in a plot of land hardly bigger than your local amusement park. How you guys are going to manage to develop that much territory is a good question. Regardless of how, I'm looking forward to exploring and map making!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Transportation
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:25 am 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator

Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:47 pm
Posts: 812
Bookkeeper wrote:
Jatar wrote:
Not really. Stepping stones aren't everywhere. In fact, there is a lot about these that we haven't released. They will be an important part of making maps. Even in a place where you may use them, since you can't 'get off' at a place between Stepping Stones, you will need to get close, but then go on foot/mount across the terrain to reach the actual destination, leaving plenty of terrain for ambushes, traps, random encounters, chases, etc.

Our game world is so big that without other types of travel options it could take you months, if not years, to travel some distances. That doesn't work well for story pacing, so we are including ways to get you to the area where the action is, with plenty of travel time for the fun stuff. However, we prefer to actually show you the area over which you traveled so that you keep a perspective of the terrain and your relative location in the world (rather than just always teleport you everywhere). This is a real world out there, so we intend to use it rather than teleport you to a few instances as in some other games.


Great, though I'm wondering about that map! I think I'm going to like this whole map thing (I've gleaned a few things from reading other posts). I am really looking forward to exploring in a world where I won't run out of areas soon, or a map where I'm able to walk across the entire world in 20 minutes. Most of these MMOs take place in a plot of land hardly bigger than your local amusement park. How you guys are going to manage to develop that much territory is a good question. Regardless of how, I'm looking forward to exploring and map making!


They developed a world tech that actually generates a world true to what we know, applying all the rules regarding rock types and so on ... and Biomes for plant growth. Pretty sure someone payed them to develop this for scientific purposes and the ;like. There are some threads which talk of this generating the fauna of the world via biomes and the fact that it is the real size of the world. So in fact no one will ever map it all r even get close.

I am sure i remember Jatar saying they generated multiple worlds and threw the ones they didnt want away!!

Theres also threads that state thatas you get further from the Citadel and encroach on Morphaels lands by default the territory will generate very evil being that will stop you travelling..... But then some of us will be stupid enough to push the boundaries here and see how badly mauled we get.

Great questions and sounds like the world will be of a real size....

_________________
The Signs are in the sky.

Look Down.....


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Reflected Worlds


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron