CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Reflected Worlds

Post subject: Wildlife and Ecosystems
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:20 pm 

One question I have been waiting to ask is whether there will be more thought put into handling creatures in the wild?

It has been hinted at in the developer logs but the entry seem to veer more in the direction of NPC mobs rather than wildlife.

I was curious as to how much you were planning to program rules for animal behaviour, for example predator/prey relationships, hunger and hunting patterns and seasonal migration. One game the did this really well was Saga of Ryzom and you actually felt like you were in a living world. It was possible to simple sit and watch the world in action with prey avoiding predators, predators hunting when they are hungry and some creatures getting curious and gathering around the player. It made for a really vibrant world.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:39 pm 
Producer
Producer

Having migration patterns in Ryzom was almost required because of the sandbox nature of the game. For the most part, you spent your time hunting and killing those animals.

Most likely you won't see this type of activity in CoS for a couple of reasons. First, to do that well would take a lot of CPU time for the AI in a world our size. We'd rather use that processing power to provide better NPC interaction and more robust stories.

Second, we're moving away from the model that most MMOs have fallen into with killing wildlife for pieces of their flesh or insides. You're a Hero, we'd rather have you hunting down a cult or saving innocent villagers than wasting time watching some elephants eat grass in a field.

We're going to have wildlife, but it will be more for the eye candy in the world than actual game reasons. What did that deer ever do to you, anyway?

There are some additional game mechanics we can't release just yet that would cause very bad things to happen if you were just to go out ruthlessly killing things, including innocent wildlife.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:48 pm 

Interesting.

I can understand the reason why although I was thinking about it more for adding a feeling of life to the world than for grinding. I never actually thought about that as the background reason for having the ecosystem but then again I don't design MMOs ;)

You do realise you've now made me want to go kill wildlife sometime just to see what happens :)

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:58 pm 

Morphael wrote:
Having migration patterns in Ryzom was almost required because of the sandbox nature of the game. For the most part, you spent your time hunting and killing those animals.

Most likely you won't see this type of activity in CoS for a couple of reasons. First, to do that well would take a lot of CPU time for the AI in a world our size. We'd rather use that processing power to provide better NPC interaction and more robust stories.

Second, we're moving away from the model that most MMOs have fallen into with killing wildlife for pieces of their flesh or insides. You're a Hero, we'd rather have you hunting down a cult or saving innocent villagers than wasting time watching some elephants eat grass in a field.

We're going to have wildlife, but it will be more for the eye candy in the world than actual game reasons. What did that deer ever do to you, anyway?

There are some additional game mechanics we can't release just yet that would cause very bad things to happen if you were just to go out ruthlessly killing things, including innocent wildlife.

Well I for one am interested in a backlash system for people who abuse the reflected worlds , maybe we should compose a list of nasty things that could happen to people; On e thing I am interested in are illnesses and Diseases that last more than just one fight it would be nice to see people suffer a little. With crippling injuries to different body parts that impact the player until properly healed.

The latter not being common, anything interesting along those lines ?

Look Down.....

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:02 pm 
Producer
Producer

Isane wrote:
Well I for one am interested in a backlash system for people who abuse the reflected worlds , maybe we should compose a list of nasty things that could happen to people; On e thing I am interested in are illnesses and Diseases that last more than just one fight it would be nice to see people suffer a little. With crippling injuries to different body parts that impact the player until properly healed.

The latter not being common, anything interesting along those lines ?

You're free to speculate ;) Since it's an integral part of the game design I can't really go into it yet.

Unrelated to that mechanic, you will see things like you mentioned above. The world can be a nasty place and Morphael's creatures (my cute little minions) aren't pulling any punches.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:21 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

We do have migrations... of a sorts. Migrating monsters. To be more precise, killing parties coming out of Morphael's lands and then out of No-Man's-Land into the soft belly of the Citadel. They will travel across headed for some objective, a village, town, castle, etc. to kill, loot, pillage and kill (yes, they like to kill so I said that twice).

You will notice these raiding parties by coming across their tracks, or running into them, or being ambushed by them, but in any case, you will be dealing with real time movement of creatures that have their agenda in the world, which might be hunting you down specifically. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:32 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Seriously Jatar, when will you listen.. as long as you have me in your party you never need fear being ambushed by Recreated... I can smell them from miles away.. even down wind!

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:50 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Rogon222 wrote:
Seriously Jatar, when will you listen.. as long as you have me in your party you never need fear being ambushed by Recreated... I can smell them from miles away.. even down wind!

You do have an incredible smell... not a good one, just incredible... must be all that wet fur Rogon. :D

Those Tyvens, you can't make a rug out of 'em, and you can't invite them over (they tend to take things).

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:28 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

elfazard wrote:

I was curious as to how much you were planning to program rules for animal behaviour, for example predator/prey relationships, hunger and hunting patterns and seasonal migration. One game the did this really well was Saga of Ryzom and you actually felt like you were in a living world. It was possible to simple sit and watch the world in action with prey avoiding predators, predators hunting when they are hungry and some creatures getting curious and gathering around the player. It made for a really vibrant world.

When you have a whole world that's dynamically interacting from sophisticated ever changing environment system, to NPC AI, to constantly evolving stories, I believe we will have a lot of opportunities to watch the world in action. Personally, I've been thinking about that for a while.. To pick and NPC and just follow him around to see how he likes to spend his day! I've played Ryzom and I'll have to admit that they've put a lot of work into that part, but then again it was the community that made the game what it is, since it's a very bold example of a sandbox and you would run out of things to do pretty soon if it wasn't for the great community.

From what I've seen so far I have a feeling this game will have a good community as well in addition to a truly vibrant world where nothing stays the way it is.. I really can't wait.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:38 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Jatar wrote:
Rogon222 wrote:

You do have an incredible smell... not a good one, just incredible... must be all that wet fur Rogon. :D

Those Tyvens, you can't make a rug out of 'em, and you can't invite them over (they tend to take things).

I'm sure there are some Tyven rugs lying around somewhere (pun intended). Just a matter of collecting enough fur....

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Reflected Worlds