CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Reflected Worlds

Post subject: Natural Landmarks
 Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:07 pm 
Citadel Guardian

As read from the Dev blogs about the terrain generator, we should be getting some spiffy natural canyons and mountain ranges scattered throughout the worlds.

My thought is, how will these landmarks be reflected across the worlds (would they be in the same place/other similar landmarks be named the same) and would they be interactable with players (blowing up/digging in/staking mountains for Guilds/factions/fun/etc)?

"Happiness and moral duty are inseparably connected."
~George Washington

Post subject: Re: Natural Landmarks
 Post Posted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:00 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Laughing Clown wrote:
As read from the Dev blogs about the terrain generator, we should be getting some spiffy natural canyons and mountain ranges scattered throughout the worlds.

My thought is, how will these landmarks be reflected across the worlds (would they be in the same place/other similar landmarks be named the same) and would they be interactable with players (blowing up/digging in/staking mountains for Guilds/factions/fun/etc)?

Unlike games such as Diablo 2, which varied the map, but left the story the same, in the RWs of CoS the terrain mostly remains the same, since they are reflections of each other, but there are sometimes subtle, sometimes obvious differences in things going on in that world vs. another. We keep the shape of the world, but change the story.

This is how you can go on one involved Quset with a group of people in one RW, then switch to another group, visit another RW and go to the same village, but have a different Quest. However, there are also some things that ARE reflected... so these are semi-duplicated worlds... but not classic game instances. An instance is a way to have several groups going through the same exact area. We don't really do that. Reflected Worlds are similar enough to be familiar, and different enough to be unique (at times). The moral of the story being, just because you were at this location on another RW a few minutes ago, doesn't mean you should expect the same thing... be on your toes... there are differences... and they could bite you in the gluteus maximus.

When it comes to Guilds, your guild will have a piece of an RW. You get to survey and choose your location from MANY choices (CoS is not land challenged). You lease that land from the Citadel and may start constructing a Guild Hall (this can be expanded almost indefinitely). You may lease land out to your guild members around the Guild hall. This also means that you can do a MINOR bit of terrain modification to flatten areas for town/building construction. Players who lease land from their guild may then build player housing/businesses. A town may naturally form around the Guild Hall offering services run by players. These towns are accessible by any player (even those not in your guild) but the Guild Hall is only for guild members, though the outside can be seen by other players visiting the town.

However, any other terrain modification by players is more Quest based. This means that you can't just go modifying the world anytime any place. But... sometimes you may have a choice in a story to do so. Example: you discover a first age ruin buried and decide to excavate the entrance to get inside. This could happen in a Quest, but we don't want you running around digging holes everywhere in the game to no point. ;)

Post Posted: Fri May 13, 2011 9:43 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

awww i cant go buy a metal detector and make the world look like a craterfield??

Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 2:42 am 
Fallen Hero

Jatar wrote:
This also means that you can do a MINOR bit of terrain modification to flatten areas for town/building construction. Players who lease land from their guild may then build player housing/businesses. A town may naturally form around the Guild Hall offering services run by players. These towns are accessible by any player (even those not in your guild) but the Guild Hall is only for guild members, though the outside can be seen by other players visiting the town.

What about different landscape options. Could I build my guild hall up a tree, and then have the rest of the town up these trees accessible by rope ladders (or magic)? Or in a cave?

Lack of a denial does not necessarily make an affirmation.

"Stop quoting laws to us. We carry swords."
Plutarch, "Life of Pompey", x, 2

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:12 pm 
Citadel Guardian

Jatar wrote:
We keep the shape of the world, but change the story.

Good to hear as constantly changing landscapes are very frustrating, especially for people, like me, that travel by landmarks and not directions.

Jatar wrote:
Players who lease land from their guild may then build player housing/businesses. A town may naturally form around the Guild Hall offering services run by players. These towns are accessible by any player (even those not in your guild) but the Guild Hall is only for guild members, though the outside can be seen by other players visiting the town.

Very interesting way of supporting Guilds within a game. This will definitely be the one thing that would make me consider joining/creating one instead of playing alone as usual.

Jatar wrote:
However, any other terrain modification by players is more Quest based. This means that you can't just go modifying the world anytime any place. But... sometimes you may have a choice in a story to do so. Example: you discover a first age ruin buried and decide to excavate the entrance to get inside. This could happen in a Quest, but we don't want you running around digging holes everywhere in the game to no point. ;)

Ahh, this was what I was expecting. Limited landscape modification is definitely better than full-blown "turn a lush forest into a desert in 5 mins" options given to everyone on the server (a lot of my old sandbox builders lost me when some punk joins the server and resets everything I was working on).

I'm curious, would the game recognize our excavation or finding of landmarks? Nothing too big, but a little signpost or a plaque recognizing the player(s) who founded the landmark/guild town would be nice.

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Reflected Worlds