CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Reflected Worlds

Post subject: Natural Disasters
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:37 am 
Fallen Hero

Will there be game-altering natural disasters in CoS? I'm thinking of big stuff like hurricanes, tsunamis, earthquakes, wildfires, floods, tornadoes, volcanoes and maybe even comets falling from the skies that would affect all of the RWs at once. My question was inspired by Dutch's video on planet building and the recovery effort after hurricane Sandy. Is the T3D engine capable of reproducing natural disasters (or even normal weather) in real time?

Post subject: Re: Natural Disasters
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:19 pm 
Citadel Recruit

This sounds epic, although it would be cool to have different natural disasters in different RWs. Where one might get affected by a tsunami, another is undergoing a meteor strike; but not necessarily at the same time.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:06 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

I believe you may find your answer already in a post where the quest engine's capabilities are discussed, the example being the generating (not) of a pandemic.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:18 pm 
Fallen Hero

Dunno about natural disasters but I always wanted to see in a game natural elements to a certain extreme. Like playing in the middle of a blizzard and not being able to see a thing, or raining so bad that it would temporarily change the landscape a little.

It is a living world, these one presented to us... So I kind of hope to see that sort of thing.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:39 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

got to agree with you there dragonhand.
also having snow stick to the ground and get deeper if the blizzard persists. Having the snow melt away slowly and leaving footprints in snow for the purpose of tracking.
I would love to see a game that has a water cycle, heat causing clouds to form, wind moving clouds towards mountains and hills then dispersing their water. if rain continues then rivers burst their banks and flood lowlands.
Earthquakes and meteor strikes are a bit rarer, at least on a devastating scale so I would not be bothered about that type of feature. ( unless its in simcity )

live and die on this day

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:48 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

We could populate an entire RW with Jenemos. Now THAT would be a disaster!

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:58 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Neverest wrote:
Will there be game-altering natural disasters in CoS? I'm thinking of big stuff like hurricanes, tsunamis, earthquakes, wildfires, floods, tornadoes, volcanoes and maybe even comets falling from the skies that would affect all of the RWs at once. My question was inspired by Dutch's video on planet building and the recovery effort after hurricane Sandy. Is the T3D engine capable of reproducing natural disasters (or even normal weather) in real time?

This post touches on that... a little bit: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:27 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

calith wrote:
also having snow stick to the ground and get deeper if the blizzard persists. Having the snow melt away slowly and leaving footprints in snow for the purpose of tracking.
I would love to see a game that has a water cycle, heat causing clouds to form, wind moving clouds towards mountains and hills then dispersing their water. if rain continues then rivers burst their banks and flood lowlands.
Earthquakes and meteor strikes are a bit rarer, at least on a devastating scale so I would not be bothered about that type of feature. ( unless its in simcity )

Well, knowing what i do about the erosion system and such, it just seems logical to me that the engine could quite easily (or already does) do things like build up snow, melt it down to form water beds and such. I'm farily certian they bulit this engine not only to do what it does right now, but with "future possibilties" in mind as well.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:48 pm 
Fallen Hero

Lonfer wrote:
This post touches on that... a little bit: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19

Yes, thanks Lonfer, that post does touch on what I was asking about. But I also was curious to know if the technology has progressed to the point where the players can actually experience a natural disaster as it happens. It would be the difference between logging in and finding a town in ruins with all the surviving NPCs saying "there was a great earthquake" but no players experienced the quake because it happened during a server update and logging in and witnessing the earthquake as it happened (shaking, buildings collapsing, panicked NPCs running about) with the ability to react to the event. It's a fine point and not a big deal.

I don't play WoW so maybe I'm wrong in this. When the Cataclysm expansion went live didn't the whole game world change all at once? One day the servers were updated and from that point on everything was just different. Wouldn't it have been more interesting to be able to run around during the upheaval?

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:06 am 
Fallen Hero

Darkgeek wrote:
calith wrote:

Well, knowing what i do about the erosion system and such, it just seems logical to me that the engine could quite easily (or already does) do things like build up snow, melt it down to form water beds and such. I'm farily certian they bulit this engine not only to do what it does right now, but with "future possibilties" in mind as well.

That is what I am hopping, but not sure to what extent they will continue to run that program.

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Reflected Worlds