CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Reflected Worlds

Post subject: Maps and the Internet
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:19 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

So it's my understanding that the game will have a map-making system available to players. What happens if someone posts these maps to an online database? Wouldn't they all become worthless?

Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:18 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Antilurker77 wrote:
So it's my understanding that the game will have a map-making system available to players. What happens if someone posts these maps to an online database? Wouldn't they all become worthless?

There is no need to post them on the net, you can sell maps right in the game, or give them away. Besides, anyone who gets a map on the net has no way to integrate that into their game map, they are better off to get it in game. So, after someone posts all the maps (in game) that's it right? Ah... full planet? There will be new territories and wilderness explored... for many years to come. You could have every map there is, and someone will explore some new area today.

Then there are the map qualities, how do you know how good that map is you are getting on the net? Could be crappy one, might be a good one, but in either case it won't integrate into your in game map system that is used to explore and build your personal map set.

So, end answer, we are unconcerned.

One more thing... this is like someone asking us, what is to keep someone from reading the last page of a book before they start? Well, nothing, they are only ruining the book for themselves. So if that's what you want to do... knock yourself out.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:12 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Wait, so if I understand this succesfully you could potentially be a cartographer?

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:37 pm 
Producer
Producer

Liefde wrote:
Wait, so if I understand this succesfully you could potentially be a cartographer?

You may want to read the knowledge base on the website or search around the forums. Here is some information on maps from the knowledge base:

http://www.citadelofsorcery.com/faq/our-world

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:40 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Morphael wrote:
Liefde wrote:

You may want to read the knowledge base on the website or search around the forums. Here is some information on maps from the knowledge base:

http://www.citadelofsorcery.com/faq/our-world

Oh my, that is absolutely brilliant! Sorry for making you link it to me instead of me finding it myself.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:16 pm 
Fallen Hero

It is a nice thing, better then getting the maps out of the ass. Exploration becomes also part of the game, something I always found funny in old games but totally disappeared on the past years because the maps were offered or because some addon would reveal the map instantly.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:40 pm 

Dragonhand wrote:
It is a nice thing, better then getting the maps out of the ass. Exploration becomes also part of the game, something I always found funny in old games but totally disappeared on the past years because the maps were offered or because some addon would reveal the map instantly.

Now wouldn't it be nice if your in game mapping and understanding of surrounding areas in game. Reduced Encounters or allowed you to build more beneficial camps or even travel faster.

Artificial methods would then maybe show you a route but , you would get no benefit whereas a real explorer/cartographer in game would. Endless possibilities for suce a simple mechanic.

Look Down.....

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:07 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Isane wrote:
Dragonhand wrote:

Now wouldn't it be nice if your in game mapping and understanding of surrounding areas in game. Reduced Encounters or allowed you to build more beneficial camps or even travel faster.

Artificial methods would then maybe show you a route but , you would get no benefit whereas a real explorer/cartographer in game would. Endless possibilities for suce a simple mechanic.

Makes me wonder if marking is also a possibility.. say there's a current interest in flying self-detonating hydra leather but they're very hard to spot.. what if you go to one of the further regions, map out a region and come across a pack of them.. obviously flying self detonating hydras are incredibly hard to kill so you track them and add markers on your map, that you can then sell along with your map as some sort of.. hunting information. Ofcourse it might collide somewhat the with menagery quests that are planned but there really are endless possibilities for it!

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:23 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Liefde wrote:
Isane wrote:
Dragonhand wrote:

Makes me wonder if marking is also a possibility.. say there's a current interest in flying self-detonating hydra leather but they're very hard to spot.. what if you go to one of the further regions, map out a region and come across a pack of them.. obviously flying self detonating hydras are incredibly hard to kill so you track them and add markers on your map, that you can then sell along with your map as some sort of.. hunting information. Ofcourse it might collide somewhat the with menagery quests that are planned but there really are endless possibilities for it!

Hand marking your maps is already part of our system. ;)

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:26 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Where's that LIKE button?
We need a LIKE button badly!

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Reflected Worlds