CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Reflected Worlds

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:23 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Evilbunny wrote:
I don't think this form of griefing would ever be allowed as it breaks the point of selling maps.

Correct.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:19 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

I keep forgetting it's not an open pvp world :)

Post Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:25 am 
Citadel Guardian

Antilurker77 wrote:
So it's my understanding that the game will have a map-making system available to players. What happens if someone posts these maps to an online database? Wouldn't they all become worthless?

Not necessarily. If the map-making system of CoS deals with dynamic data (i.e. enemy movements as charted by the community at the moment, evolving land features as continually mapped by the community, etc.), then posting such stuff on the Internet would not be practical. Plus, depending on the nature of such dynamic data, there could be map-making professions (i.e. cartographers, scouts, etc.) which could gain access to and level up their skills though gaining skill points (through physically making personal maps) and gaining social points (keeping the data on community maps updated and getting their info markers votes). I have some suggestions for this which I can develop, if the CoS staff wants me to.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:39 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

KanedaSyndrome wrote:
Isane wrote:
Oh the joys of having to make a choice...... This is going to cause some people in game having to make decisions ....

Which is probably new to many gamers in this day and age :)

This brings up a question I have, how many players will be turned off to CoS simply because it's not linear and everything is not available to look up in some cheatsheet database? (i.e. how do I proceed in this quest? let me look it up real quick, ah wait. stupid game doesn't give me the answer)

Post Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:32 am 
Hero of the Citadel

This method is to make sure we place an interest and try to solve the mystery of what todo next? It places a thrill and an excitment which never has been seen in any MMO's till now...

For instance if you turn left you will head to a bandit's area which has the one you seek as a prisoner, if you turn right that one's house is available in the village and that village is on fire. (The house may have the item the one you seek may have to give you or not). Where will you go?

Post Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:50 am 

The game makes sure that you are never unsure of what to do. Your quest tracker will also give you a few options. There are many more things that could be done, but a few obvious paths will always be given. "Villagers are disappearing at castle X. You could; ask NPCs for information, visit the last known positions," etc. What you find out will then update with new things to further the epic story.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:13 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

ShadowOfTheAlphaUhm wrote:
The game makes sure that you are never unsure of what to do. Your quest tracker will also give you a few options. There are many more things that could be done, but a few obvious paths will always be given. "Villagers are disappearing at castle X. You could; ask NPCs for information, visit the last known positions," etc. What you find out will then update with new things to further the epic story.

Good answer. Yes, we addressed this awhile back in the design. We don't want a linear game, period. That's been done, endlessly. What we want is a unique unfolding story for each player, that cannot be looked up, because that tells you that you are just doing what every other player has done. Boring.

However, you are also correct in that players do NOT want to be confused, and if they are confused they are also bored and will leave the game. Our solution was to give them a unique quest, where you don't know what is going to happen next, or feel that you just follow the same path as every other player, and yet never have the player confused as to what to do next.

We did this with our Story Box system, which tracks upcoming major possibilities in that players story. As soon as they learn that Merchant Bob is at a local cult, and he has some information the player needs, the Story Box offers, "Seek Merchant Bob at the the Fist of God cult."

Of course, if another player was doing this quest, then the Merchant might be at a castle controlled by Morphael's creatures, and then the story box reads, "Try to rescue Merchant Bob from the Maggotman held Castle."

But being a none linear game, the player might also have the opportunity to do several other things at this stage, and they would also be listed as 'options'. The point is, the player is not confused, they just have to pick an option. Of course, they can just go do whatever they want as well, but those options are always up there, pointing them toward furthering their story, if they need them. They don't have to go off line to some website to look up anything, and they don't have to walk the same path as every other player.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:27 am 
Hero of the Citadel

Letting the players decide what todo indicates that they may get confused as to which option to pick and follow nah? They won't know which option is preferable and they will start getting doubts...

Post Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:42 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

There are no preferable options, there are just a simple list of choices, at any given moment, two to four. This is no different than life, actually it is easier, since in life you are not offered a list of choices.

Regardless, we refuse to make this another boring game where players are all forced to act like lemmings (not that real lemmings act like the old saying). ; )

Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:25 am 
Citadel Recruit

Jatar wrote:
ShadowOfTheAlphaUhm wrote:
...We did this with our Story Box system, which tracks upcoming major possibilities in that players story. As soon as they learn that Merchant Bob is at a local cult, and he has some information the player needs, the Story Box offers, "Seek Merchant Bob at the the Fist of God cult." ...

So, how is a quest "failed" other than dying during it... or even that way. Is there a point where the arch ends or if you start it and just come back a month later to it. Does the Story Box system just keep updating your quest as the NPCs go about their lives... or even die themselves?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Reflected Worlds