CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Reflected Worlds

Post Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:59 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

So, clearly I'm new and I did dig some for answers to all of these but may have failed. If so just don't answer it and I will dig more.

Map size sounds amazing and so does the non scripted NPC's. It's the huge disappointment in Elder Scrolls that brings me to this game. So, onto the question!

The map is huge and my name is Double C. (Christopher Columbus) I load into the game and have no care whatsoever about the quest you have for me, I turn a random direction and run for 3 hours. So far so good, right? Well when I get to my random destination what will be there? Will there be a cave with big baddies ready to eat my face off with loot hiding in the corner? Or will it be baddies with no loot? Or will it be anything at all but empty area that hasn't been populated by you guys yet? Will it be a town? Can I kill everyone in the town if I feel like it? (I would never do that.) Do their warm bodies have loot? *Grins* (Ok, I might kill a town of people.)

I mean, I know I seemed overly concerned with loot, but I'm not. I just want to know that if I decide to just start running like a mad man in one direction with a shoe on the 'W' button while I sleep that when I wake up, if I'm not dead, I will find something interesting, not just an empty wasteland. I want this to be true more than anything. I wouldn't care if you only had 10 skills. As long as the answer to this question is, all of the above. :D

(Edit) Also, I'm a bit OCD. Can the you alter your user name in anyway? The 'I' in Rikus shouldn't be capitalized and it's annoying the hell out of me. :roll:

Post Posted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:01 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

RIkus wrote:
So, clearly I'm new and I did dig some for answers to all of these but may have failed. If so just don't answer it and I will dig more.

Map size sounds amazing and so does the non scripted NPC's. It's the huge disappointment in Elder Scrolls that brings me to this game. So, onto the question!

The map is huge and my name is Double C. (Christopher Columbus) I load into the game and have no care whatsoever about the quest you have for me, I turn a random direction and run for 3 hours. So far so good, right? Well when I get to my random destination what will be there? Will there be a cave with big baddies ready to eat my face off with loot hiding in the corner? Or will it be baddies with no loot? Or will it be anything at all but empty area that hasn't been populated by you guys yet? Will it be a town? Can I kill everyone in the town if I feel like it? (I would never do that.) Do their warm bodies have loot? *Grins* (Ok, I might kill a town of people.)

I mean, I know I seemed overly concerned with loot, but I'm not. I just want to know that if I decide to just start running like a mad man in one direction with a shoe on the 'W' button while I sleep that when I wake up, if I'm not dead, I will find something interesting, not just an empty wasteland. I want this to be true more than anything. I wouldn't care if you only had 10 skills. As long as the answer to this question is, all of the above. :D

(Edit) Also, I'm a bit OCD. Can the you alter your user name in anyway? The 'I' in Rikus shouldn't be capitalized and it's annoying the hell out of me. :roll:

The answer is, there will be a town, baddies and loot. However, you will not reach them because you will be dead. Running unattended for three hours is not possible. Everything outside of Citadel lands is in the 'Wild', and that makes it extremely dangerous. Secondly, if you attempt to murder everyone in an innocent town, you will also be killed, and worse. You may kill a few innocents before you die, but you will die. The game punishes evil behavior, and becoming a serial killer or mass murderer would carry extreme punishments, including things far worse than just dying.

One other note, traveling for three hours in one direction (which would be unlikely due to stopping to fight) would BARELY start you into the wild. That is the equivalent of going about 40 miles, travel another 3000 and you might cross a single continent. With battles, this would likely take six months of real time.

And sorry, but no, we can't change your user name. You would have to sign up a new account, and we would delete your old one.

Post Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:24 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

I also saw that there was some hinting at building and running your own shop. Could I build a town out there in the wild? Maybe around a large mine that I found? Or grow crops and actually make a living breathing town? Hire guards and the like. Develop trade routes?!

On the same topic will there be mines and/or crops in the real life sense or will it be like wow's (tink, tink, tink, next mine...) It would be pretty amazing to be able to have a radius for mines that couldn't be settled close'ish to the citadel and those further out could be settled by players.

Alas, I think I'm getting ahead of myself. How epic would it be to run off like crazy sometime shortly after release and found a mining town and just become a filthy rich baron who can pay for tier progression with gold instead of combat prowess! Money is often times more powerful than the weapons it can purchase! I did also see that the monetary system in this game is super hush hush so I know this probably isn't going to work. It's fun to think about though.

This game and it's ideals, premise, and promised deliveries give me so much hope for the future of MMO's. If I had 10K I would give it to you, alas, I'm poor. I do think I will scrounge up 250 though because this game sounds like the best thing to happen since the freaking wheel!

Post Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:15 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

No you can not. You can lease/rent from a guild or a citadel run garrison. You can have a house or open your shop there, you can even hire a NPC to work your shop for you. A garrison will have many of the amenities that a guild town would like shops, auction house and whatnot.

Post Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:26 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

RIkus wrote:
Alas, I think I'm getting ahead of myself. How epic would it be to run off like crazy sometime shortly after release and found a mining town and just become a filthy rich baron who can pay for tier progression with gold instead of combat prowess! Money is often times more powerful than the weapons it can purchase!

Shouldn't ever really be able to pay for tier progression. At least I suspect you're talking about skills. No matter how rich Bill Gates is, he can't just drop money off somewhere and know Kung Fu. He still needs to invest the time, training, etc to learn it.

Now... maybe if you could drop money in order to hire a better mentor... Maybe that could lower the time/cost to advance in tier. But I suspect that can't be the case for game balance reasons.

-Sal

Post Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:08 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

From what has been said you don't really pay for tier progression, however signing up for a league costs more and more money.

Quote:
The cost per week goes up exponentially depending on how many leagues you are currently enrolled in. This is to prevent people from just joining every league and never making a decision between learning skills quickly and the monetary cost to do so.

I do not know if this is realtime week, or ingame week, its probably real time as needing to pay money twice a day, depending on how long ingame days are, would get annoying quick. So yes if you are rich chances are you will be able to gain and level existing skills quicker then someone who never pays money for a league and sticks with one at a time.

Post Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:28 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Evilbunny wrote:
So yes if you are rich chances are you will be able to gain and level existing skills quicker then someone who never pays money for a league and sticks with one at a time.

That is not necessarily true, remember you need to use an ability to gain practice and study points to skill up your abilities. You can't practice the abilities from all the leagues at once, if you try you won't be powerful in any of them, you will need to concentrate on specific groups to make them stronger.

Post Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:53 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

I guess that's true, I was just imagining the system more like you gain generic "points" in each league you do quests for or use abilities in that school. Its not like oh hey I want my fireball to be stronger so I will cast fireball 100 times on random low level things until it skills up.

However lets say you are on a quest where you and 4 other friends are with you. Well you are being attacked by a demonically enhanced tabby which uses pounce, well you are a "wizard" with a massive kite shield equipped because you are a coward like that. Well this shield lets you use "cower in fear" which puts point in your shadow league because I imagine its more of a shadow type ability. You avoid the attack and proceed to cast fireball because you love that spell gaining points in the magic league.

In the same battle your "druid" friend casts "commune with nature" and summons a pixie with his spirit league element twig he covers he found on the ground moments before. He has a brief moment of wit and throws his Holey Boot belonging to the marksmen league at the tabby, which will be orange because demons like that color, because he doesn't believe in metal weapons. He proceeds to not gain any points in the marksmen league because he is poor due to living among the deer and can't afford proper schooling.

The coward of the wizard would be gaining ability skill ups at effectively twice the rate. However if the druid only stuck to using spirit only abilities maybe he would effectively keep up in combat prowess, but lose a lot of his utility.

Now yes this may not be how this system works, but it is what I have gathered from these quotes from Jatar:

Jatar wrote:
Hyperjudge wrote:
As I got it, you need to gain the practice point on the said level, you cannot gain two practice points in one level because the level before you didn't.
If you are level 3, if you used the said skill, you might have had the 3 practice points in it.
On another character, if you are level 3, but did not use said skill until now, you cannot earn 3 PP during your 3rd level. You will earn maximum one point.

You do not get these points automatically, and at any given level you can only practice up one point worth. If this is not done during this level, it can not be recovered later. There is nothing stopping you from practicing all your Abilities every level though, but this gets more difficult the more Abilities you accumulate. Remember, there are over 2,000 Abilities (if you include Uber Abilities).

Jatar wrote:
Sort of true, but let me clarify. It is ONLY expensive to join multiple schools simultaneously. But there is nothing stopping you from joining them one at a time and getting abilities from all the schools. There are NO level caps in CoS (who thought it was realistic to say you cannot continue to learn?). So yes, over time you can accumulate a lot of Abilities. But again, with so many, and each one of them can be improved, even someone at level 500, or 1000, will still likely have only a portion of the total Abilities available, though I'm sure that way down the line there will be some player who gets all 1890 (though this will likely mean that most of their Abilities won't be built up to be all that powerful).

Now, back to the simultaneous Leagues... the reason it is desirable, but expensive, to belong to multiple Leagues simultaneously, is that you can only improve an Ability that you have while you belong to the League. Once you leave the league you retain what you have already learned, but cannot progress that Ability further unless you rejoin the League from which you got it. Therefore, if you could afford to belong to multiple Leagues at once, you could improve the Abilities from those Leagues at the same time. Most players can likely afford two Leagues, but each League you add causes the price to jump significantly.

Please note, the following example numbers are not the real values, but they will illustrate what I mean. Let's say it cost 5 gold a month to belong to a League. To join a second League at the same time would now cost you 50 gold a month. To add a third would now cost 500 gold, a fourth 5,000 and a fifth 50,000 gold a month. Hmmmm, belonging to five Leagues would be nearly impossible, unless you were the Rockefeller of CoS!

The point is, most people will belong to one or two Leagues, a few rich ones, three, but it is extremely unlikely anyone will belong to four or five all at once.

Ok a couple things we do not know is what it takes to advance from lvl 1 -> 2 or even to go from 499 -> 500. We also do not know the limit of how many study points you will get per level. For instance if you get 8 study points per level, and through the course of "studying" 4 skills to cap before you advance to the next one you effectively wasted 4 of your study points by not belonging to a second league.

Post Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:58 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

You are correct that we do not know how many study points we will get per level. But, you will not waste or lose your study points, you can bank them if you wish. I copied a quote from knowledge base below.

- Can players bank study points to use later?

Yes, you can bank study points. These represent study hours reading a Tome. You decide when and what you study based on when and where you spend the points.

- Are there any drawbacks to banking study points?

If you bank points it just means that you're weaker as a player while your study time sits unused. Though we don't stop you from banking points, one thing we do is make your points spent at lower levels also improve higher level Abilities along a particular line of study.

Maybe when Jatar is on he can clarify, but he may have been referring to "skill points", which are earned from leveling, and separate from "study points", which are earned from practicing your abilities.

Post Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:47 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

You might be able to bank study points yes, but study points and practice points are two completely different things. Study points from what I gather are gained by leveling or doing quests for learning where tomes are. Practice points are gained by actually using abilities. I was only talking about practice points.

Jatar wrote:
Once they have an ability, they can study it to improve the spell / ability, this is done by spending 'Study tokens' earned during leveling. Or, they can improve it through practice, by using the spell.

This is what leads me to believe there is no banking system for the practice system. Either you managed to level up that ability with practice for that level or not. If you miss out on leveling fireball though casting it from 7 -> 8 and not being part of the magic league at the time you can never regain that lost level of fireball. However since there are unlimited levels this doesn't really matter in the long run.

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Reflected Worlds