CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Reflected Worlds




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Jatar
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:48 pm 
Offline
Citadel Guardian

Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:59 pm
Posts: 28
Jatar wrote:
Well, you won't have to worry about eco terrorism. Our game play is based primarily on the massive stories and plots in the world, not chopping down trees. Players won't be able to do that kind of thing as terrorism. If there is a story reason for it, then it may be possible, or in the example you used of a Guild, if they wanted to clear some trees they may, but another player coming in will not be able to do that. However, outside forces will not be able to mess with their Guild area foliage. Changing the environment is just not something players are capable of doing.


Jatar wrote:
Just imagine if we let players do things like start forest fires. There would be no trees left! Players would run amok in the world destroying everything.


Well, there is a difference between letting players cut down trees individually and letting them start massive fires. No individual player--or even a group of players--would have the patience to travel a great distance to a guild hall and then, one-by-one, cut down a massive amount of trees. That should be time consuming, tedious, very risky, and relatively unrewarding, if it is not done for the purpose of crafting.

Players should be able to do things like cut down trees individually. This is because interactivity with the environment is essential to perfecting immersion. For instance, crafters should rely on harvesters of all types. And harvesters of all types, respectively speaking, should take their material straight from the environment, as in picking things from plants, cutting down trees, mining minerals, and so on.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that you are dealing with a massive world based on formidable programming. I get that. But striving towards perfection always requires those extra miles, as painful as they may be.

And, in the current MMO market, players do want perfection. I'm not being sarcastic--they are one tough bunch.


Jatar wrote:
We have a full physics engine in CoS, but it won't be used in 99% of the world for the same reason. Imagine if players could go into any room and move/destroy the furniture. There wouldn't be any furniture, it would all be wiped out. We have to limit the places where players can interact with such objects to story related elements, most taking place in Story RWs where one group of players cannot ruin it for next.


I don't know. Your point does sound logically sound, but, at the same time, I do recall that The Elder Scrolls Online will be featuring moveable objects. Either the developers at Zenimax Online Studios did something horribly dumb or there is a way to handle such physics properly.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monster respawns
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:14 pm 
Offline
Lead Designer
Lead Designer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:00 am
Posts: 1876
As we stated, we will have movable physics objects. We are just honestly telling you that the numbers of these objects will be limited. I dare say that you will find that the same things are true in the games you mentioned.

_________________
Remember, patience is a virtue, kill them later. - Poison: from Cathexis: Conspirator's Coin.
http://www.philipblood.com


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monster respawns
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:37 am 
Offline
Patron Herald
Patron Herald

Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:51 am
Posts: 34
RIkus wrote:
I'm gonna take a stab at actually asking the question this thread is about...

Monster re-spawn times? Is this still a secret type of deal or do monster actually re-spawn? I mean, eventually we will wipe them all out if they have to breed. If they do re-spawn is it something like a a tree falling in the woods with no one around?

I assume they will have "nest" of monsters that you can wipe out, but will it fill itself back up eventually or stay clear? Or will something else just move in, in a couple weeks? Just curious, I can move this to programming if you like, sounds pretty technical now that I'm typing it out. :roll:


It's true that a breeding system in a traditional sized MMO wouldn't work, but we're talking about a game world the size of Earth, here a breeding system can easily work. I do think that there needs to be in-fighting among the "monsters" to keep them from reaching exponential growth. Also a breeding system should be based on consumption of ressources. This would result in a self regulating creature replenishing system, much like in the real world. I actually prefer this system to an artificial spawn system.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monster respawns
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:30 am 
Offline
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 15, 2013 12:15 pm
Posts: 182
Back to the monster's nest if I may.

Since the mobs do not respawn, I assume there's a set number of monsters of each kind at the beginning of the game. If that is so, considering that time actually has a value in COS, and that new monsters don't just respawn, this tend to imply new monsters are the product of whatever currently exist in COS (be it sexually, asexually, or magically I guess). I also guess it's not an instant operation, but some time will be needed for new monsters to be created (otherwise, we can easily imagine the hordes that could arise everywhere).

You mentionned in this thread that complete extinction of a race, although improbable, is possible. This tend to suggest there's indeed some limitation at how quickly new mobs can be created (otherwise, extinction would be impossible).

Since extinction is possible, and the AI sends new mobs to do things whenever a camp is free or whatnot, I'll assume that to avoid completly emptying areas, new mobs have to come from somewhere to keep a steady population in as many areas as possible, and not end up with a camp of 5 mobs or some similar situation?

So, can you tell us about the birds and the bees in COS? :D. How are new monsters born/created in COS? Or is that something that can not be discussed at the moment?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monster respawns
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:05 am 
Offline
Lead Designer
Lead Designer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:00 am
Posts: 1876
squishy wrote:
Back to the monster's nest if I may.

Since the mobs do not respawn, I assume there's a set number of monsters of each kind at the beginning of the game. If that is so, considering that time actually has a value in COS, and that new monsters don't just respawn, this tend to imply new monsters are the product of whatever currently exist in COS (be it sexually, asexually, or magically I guess). I also guess it's not an instant operation, but some time will be needed for new monsters to be created (otherwise, we can easily imagine the hordes that could arise everywhere).

You mentionned in this thread that complete extinction of a race, although improbable, is possible. This tend to suggest there's indeed some limitation at how quickly new mobs can be created (otherwise, extinction would be impossible).

Since extinction is possible, and the AI sends new mobs to do things whenever a camp is free or whatnot, I'll assume that to avoid completly emptying areas, new mobs have to come from somewhere to keep a steady population in as many areas as possible, and not end up with a camp of 5 mobs or some similar situation?

So, can you tell us about the birds and the bees in COS? :D. How are new monsters born/created in COS? Or is that something that can not be discussed at the moment?


Well, the first issue is, each monster race propagates in its own way, so there is not one method. Maggotmen, for example, propagate by killing some creature, then placing their young maggots on the corpse. These eat the dead flesh and grow into a half maggot, half (whatever they ate). For some reason a few of the races are not palatable for them, so they don't eat those corpses.

Now Recreated, well, by their vary name you can get a little idea. They kill folk, then take the body (or parts of it) away with them to a place where they magically assemble new Recreated from stolen body parts.

Infestlings crawl into a living person's brain and take control of their body. When two infestlings get in the same brain they can copulate and breed a new Infestling, but the birth pretty much kills that host and then all three must seek new bodies.

These were just three to give you an idea of the vast differences in the way monsters propagate.

As to your other question, how do monsters repopulate an area. There are again multiple ways rather than one. Sometimes they are just assigned an objective in the area, and travel to that objective from various locations. These can be a secret camp hidden away in a valley, cave, under a pond, behind a waterfall, etc. Or, they can be coming from across No-Man's'Land. They can also portal in if one of their kind can open a portal and is in the area already. They can fly in or ride in. It is also said that Morphael has his own method of transporting his troops, but little is currently known of how he is doing it, so you'll have to try to figure that out. Because it is a secret, he tends to try to use it sparingly so that the secret isn't discovered, and drop his troops some distance from their objective in a hidden location in the wilderness. They then have to travel to their objective, but not as far compared to coming across No-Man's-Land. But, there is no doubt that Morphael can send in new squads deep into Citadel lands when the time seems right.

_________________
Remember, patience is a virtue, kill them later. - Poison: from Cathexis: Conspirator's Coin.
http://www.philipblood.com


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monster respawns
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:14 am 
Offline
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 15, 2013 12:15 pm
Posts: 182
This all sounds quite fascinating :).

How do humans do not become extinct in unexplored areas? I mean, it sounds like there are a lot of dangers, and fallen heroes are pretty much the only thing that can help humans to survive. Will there be some safety in place, so far away places do not get completly over-run by super intelligent mobs? Since they are far, it'll take us a longtime to even get there, which could increase the chances of facing some sort of super hordes of evil things.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monster respawns
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:18 am 
Offline
Lead Designer
Lead Designer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:00 am
Posts: 1876
squishy wrote:
This all sounds quite fascinating :).

How do humans do not become extinct in unexplored areas? I mean, it sounds like there are a lot of dangers, and fallen heroes are pretty much the only thing that can help humans to survive. Will there be some safety in place, so far away places do not get completly over-run by super intelligent mobs? Since they are far, it'll take us a longtime to even get there, which could increase the chances of facing some sort of super hordes of evil things.


Fallen Heroes are not the only protection. The Citadel has created a series of Imperial Forts that come to the aid of those that, (A) request aid, and (B) offer up recruits to the Citadel for those very forts.

There are also other armies of local kingdoms, or the protection of a powerful spirit, or bargain with a Fay race, etc. Fallen Heroes are just one power, one of many in this world.

Even with all this, at times places will be overrun, but something always fills a void.

_________________
Remember, patience is a virtue, kill them later. - Poison: from Cathexis: Conspirator's Coin.
http://www.philipblood.com


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monster respawns
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:28 am 
Offline
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 15, 2013 12:15 pm
Posts: 182
Thank you :)


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Reflected Worlds


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: