CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Reflected Worlds

Post subject: Re: Monster respawns
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:58 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Monster don't respawn. Ever. You kill something it stays dead. Remember that you are likely to visit more than one reflected world, each of which has its own population of monsters that breed and recreate. In the "nest" scenario, I'm guessing you wouldn't be wiping an entire nest because some of the monsters living there would be out and about tending to their evil deeds, and could come back and "restock" their population slowly. Even if you did manage to wipe out the entire nest, well.. it might become deserted, or something else might move in. That said, it is possible - though unlikely - that if enough players hunt something heavily on all reflected worlds to drive them to extinction. If that happens, you will be telling old tales to newer players about those creatures which used to roam the land "back in your days".

Post Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:08 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

The thought of contributing to a mass extinction amuses me.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:20 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Likewise, I would assume it similar to "events" in NPC villages in the RW where Tom the butcher was killed by creatures and the town burned down. Poor Tom wouldn't be coming back. MAYBE the village would be slowly rebuilt in the same spot. Maybe a butcher would eventually move in. But, Poor Tom would never be back. (But in a different RW Tom is still there)

Post Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:52 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Good thinking, and all true.

You can't wipe out an area of monsters (for long) simple because other monsters will move into any vacant area, or place where populations are low. This is done by a big system that monitors the populations in the world and starts sending new monsters with new objectives into open areas. Think of it like some evil mastermind, imagine that we had one or two (Morphael, Demon Lords, Horrible geniuses of evil we haven't mentioned) who realize that there are openings where he can send his particular minions to terrorize an available area. It's a nasty place, and when one group loses control of an area, another mastermind wants to take control.

Our monsters (generally) don't live in a place, they go there to do things. If you stop them, or kill them, other monsters will go there to do other things. This is not how other games we know of handle monster populations, but it is how we do it :)

Post Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:06 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Jatar wrote:

You can't wipe out an area of monsters (for long) simple because other monsters will move into any vacant area, or place where populations are low. This is done by a big system that monitors the populations in the world and starts sending new monsters with new objectives into open areas. Think of it like some evil mastermind, imagine that we had one or two (Morphael, Demon Lords, Horrible geniuses of evil we haven't mentioned) who realize that there are openings where he can send his particular minions to terrorize an available area. It's a nasty place, and when one group loses control of an area, another mastermind wants to take control.

Our monsters (generally) don't live in a place, they go there to do things. If you stop them, or kill them, other monsters will go there to do other things. This is not how other games we know of handle monster populations, but it is how we do it :)

As long as I can pick on one mob type, and attempt the wipe that off the face of the planet as my personal quest. That will be my guild goal now, it will be a crusade of sorts. I'm hoping that if you leave up one group of mobs another won't try to move in. So lets say I want to make our guild area a "protected" demon tabbycat zone. as long as I purge everything but them eventually I will have nothing but tabbys all over. I'm sure you have systems in place that would prevent this type of mob manipulation however. No need to go into details and ruin my hopes and dreams before my quest starts Jatar. Just thinking out loud :)

Post Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:33 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Evilbunny wrote:
Jatar wrote:

As long as I can pick on one mob type, and attempt the wipe that off the face of the planet as my personal quest. That will be my guild goal now, it will be a crusade of sorts. I'm hoping that if you leave up one group of mobs another won't try to move in. So lets say I want to make our guild area a "protected" demon tabbycat zone. as long as I purge everything but them eventually I will have nothing but tabbys all over. I'm sure you have systems in place that would prevent this type of mob manipulation however. No need to go into details and ruin my hopes and dreams before my quest starts Jatar. Just thinking out loud :)

You won't be fighting in your Guild area. Guilds are for doing guild things, not battle zones. However, I'll leave your other fantasies alone... who knows?

Post Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:48 pm 
Hero of the Citadel

Will the new mobs and the old ones have a certain way to kill!!!!!
I mean the players have to kill the monsters[mobs] in a certain fashion using sword play or staff ....
If so and they get repeated well i guess its time to start analyzing the mobs and hope that if they come from a certain location then they will get killed in that certain method....
I suppose that will be useful for the new players[if Old players will help] and become again boring for the Old Ones....

Post Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:04 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

devilzxdemon wrote:
Will the new mobs and the old ones have a certain way to kill!!!!!
I mean the players have to kill the monsters[mobs] in a certain fashion using sword play or staff ....
If so and they get repeated well i guess its time to start analyzing the mobs and hope that if they come from a certain location then they will get killed in that certain method....
I suppose that will be useful for the new players[if Old players will help] and become again boring for the Old Ones....

Not quite following you. How can new monsters, with therefore different capabilities, coming to do new objectives, from new locations, taking new paths... get boring? These are thinking opponents who can make decisions along the way to achieve their objective.

By the dead gods, what do you want?

Of course, we could just do it like other MMORPGs if you prefer, same monster, same capabilities, does the same thing, all the time, has no objective, pops back into existence a moment later, stays in the same place and is brainless. :shock:

Post Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:44 am 
Hero of the Citadel

Well i thought no matter how clever or foolish the new monster turns out to be the system will have to define a certain weakness for it?
Finding out that weakness and linking it to a certain area say[for instance] monster A will die with flame attaks and monster B dies with air attaks then the other monsters who meets the area in which the monster A lived will need to have good defense against water and air thou they may be weak in flame defense making it their weak point...... and creating the certain way to kill them....
If monster B lives near a volcano they need to have a strong Flame defense and they may have a weak water defense thus making it their weak point..... Of course in due course of time the monsters due to their intelligence may find a way to live around the volcano and get stronger utilizing the lava from the volcano and thus killing the players more quickly than the players may have bargained for.....

Sorry im letting me imagination run a bit too wild.....

Post Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:30 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

devilzxdemon wrote:
Well i thought no matter how clever or foolish the new monster turns out to be the system will have to define a certain weakness for it?
Finding out that weakness and linking it to a certain area say[for instance] monster A will die with flame attaks and monster B dies with air attaks then the other monsters who meets the area in which the monster A lived will need to have good defense against water and air thou they may be weak in flame defense making it their weak point...... and creating the certain way to kill them....
If monster B lives near a volcano they need to have a strong Flame defense and they may have a weak water defense thus making it their weak point..... Of course in due course of time the monsters due to their intelligence may find a way to live around the volcano and get stronger utilizing the lava from the volcano and thus killing the players more quickly than the players may have bargained for.....

Sorry im letting me imagination run a bit too wild.....

Here you are talking about mobsters living in an area, which we also have. The thing is, in CoS there are different parts of the world controlled by different politics and or creatures. Morphael has his lands, and there some of his monsters live, causing situations at least similar to your post. However, most of a player's time is spent in the vast Citadel controlled lands, where monsters are raiding and infiltrating, rather than living, which is what I was describing in more detail. But there are other areas as well, like Umbra, where the demons live, or the wild, where many things dwell in constant turmoil. Then there is no man's land, which is in a constant state of battle, and no one's lives there, they mostly just die there x-(

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Reflected Worlds