CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Reflected Worlds

Post Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:11 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

From another post, I was told we'd actually meet other players quite often.

I was under the impression we'd mostly spend our time within our reflected world, as if I understood correctly, we're tasked with fighting, with limitted numbers, on several fronts, and as such, we'd virtually be alone within our reflected world.

But it seems we'd actually be meeting a lot. So far I assumed the only place we'd be encountering other players was at the citadel, which unless I'm wrong is unique.

If possible, can we get the numbers of existing reflected worlds so far? And will we get our own personal reflected word for our story? If that is so, appart from inviting other players in it, will they be able to come in our world, and do their things too (potentially disrupt our storyline, by let's say kill one of the important character within our story)?

Or will there be a reflected world automatically created when needed? (this seems nearly impossble considering the space needed to do so datawise, but I'm asking just in case).

If we get a personal reflected world, what will be our incentive, other than social, to head back to the citadel?

Post Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:20 am 

The number of reflected worlds is relative. There are set community worlds that only hold co-operative based objectives, such as castle raids. You do in fact, get an entire reflected world to yourself when you are doing your story. The only way someone can join your story world, is through invitation. There is no way of your quest being screwed over by a random troll.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:55 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

ShadowOfTheAlphaUhm wrote:
The number of reflected worlds is relative. There are set community worlds that only hold co-operative based objectives, such as castle raids. You do in fact, get an entire reflected world to yourself when you are doing your story. The only way someone can join your story world, is through invitation. There is no way of your quest being screwed over by a random troll.

I'll try to rephrase, I am having trouble explaining what I mean recently, my apologizes :).

Is my world persistant? Or is it more like an instance, and then picks up where I left off? Kinda like having a save point when I exit, and then loads from that point. If it's persistant, what kind of servers are we looking at? Considering the size of a world, this would be an absolutely insane storage and power need. I mean, take a credit card company, and see how big their data storage/power needs are, and those are simple operations compared to having millions (if not more) of people to take care of all the time (and I mean just the npc's).

The only thing kinda comparable in size to my knowledge would be eve online, and there's only a single common universe, but if we start talking about actual persistant reflected worlds, well, that's an entirely different ball game here.

From what I understood so far, when I'm away, things still happens in my world, which to me means a persistant world just for me, but I doubt this is the case, I don't think mankind has this kind of technology available yet... I mean if the game got pretty big, we'd probably be looking at several datacenters for the player's worlds alone.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:05 am 

To a degree, It persists until the quests tying you to the world are completed. New quests usually send you to a new world that's tailored to your character's current story.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:30 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

So those worlds are actually generated temporarly on a need basis for each storyline then? But they are temporary?

I assume only situations and npc's are different then? Since there seems to be only a single map.

So basically, unless I am mistaken, our worlds are extremelly large instances then?

Post Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:48 am 

As far as I am aware of, they are temporary. There are potentially millions of reflected worlds that can be active at any moment, if the times call for it. Although, the definition of instance is a single occurrence. The reflected worlds are not the same. The geometry may be the same, but the people and condition of the geometry are dynamic. Each story is completely unique and thus the worlds are all unique. People's attitudes are also dynamic. They may be friendly to you 90% of the time, but a story might make you do something that they don't like. So now you will be hunted by those people, yet they are nice to you on every other world.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:53 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Imagine you're living in a magical world, shattered into reflected pieces. Lets say, you happened to hop into world A. There you were tasked to save a boy. That same boy could exist in world B but not need saving. So you go on your way, battling the baddies and dealing with situations. You decided to you needed to sleep, and used your magical orb to zap yourself back to your house. Next day when you wake up, you know that the boy is in world A, so you don't waste your time going to world B. You hop right into world A and continue where you left off. You save the boy, everyone is happy, you go back home. Next day you decide to do some other good deed and randomly pick a world to do your hero job. It could be world A, B, C or any other random world with its own subtle differences.

In game it's the same, except the game makes the choice for you in a way that makes the most sense to your story (unless you want to go to a particular world where your friend is playing)

So the answer is no, you don't get a whole world to yourself that persists all the time, but you barely notice it because you won't feel a gap in your story regardless of which world you happen to land in.

The difference between those worlds and instances is that instances are an exact copy of each other. These worlds might look the same but are not exactly the same. A town could be totally destroyed in one but survive in another. The same character could be friendly in one and hostile in another, dead in one and alive in another etc...

Post Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:18 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

I know instance was not the right word to use, but since there's nothing else comparable in other games, I could not find a better word to use :).

Let's take another example from another mmo, to see if I finally got it :)

In city of heroes, they had a new starting area, where you could play as two factions.

Each factions had the same maps, but different stories (instead of saving A, you were tasked with capturing A for example). Is it the same here? but on a much larger scale.

You have a finite amount of common reflected words, then a virtually infinite number of temporary generated worlds, with tailored quests to your character that only you can enter, unless you invite someone. Upon your quest completion, that reflected world actually vanish, and you will not ever go back to the same one?

So technically speaking, our words are unique giant instances of the same map, with customized geographical modifications (burned down villages for example), and randomly generated alignement for npc's. Yet the npc's are similar to the main world, and generally speaking, so is the map?

So a village you discovered in a reflected world, will also be there in another, but in a possibly different state? (like overrun by monsters, or with fanatical npc's instead of friendly ones).

If this is the case, what happens to special locations? Like for example, you had a previous quest to find a certain item at a specific spot (let's say a fountain that has whatever properties). Will the fountain on another world be usable by your character?

Another thing I just thought about, what is at the place of the citadel in other reflected words? Is it a randomly generated thing? or simply empty space (like a forest or whatnot).

Post Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:48 am 

squishy wrote:
Each factions had the same maps, but different stories (instead of saving A, you were tasked with capturing A for example). Is it the same here? but on a much larger scale.

Sort of. Every player is on the same faction, so the quest would be for everyone to save A through different means. Have a team distract enemies away while another hides A. Although the actual quests will be on a massive scale. Invasion fleets, castle raids, etc.

You have a finite amount of common reflected words, then a virtually infinite number of temporary generated worlds, with tailored quests to your character that only you can enter, unless you invite someone. Upon your quest completion, that reflected world actually vanish, and you will not ever go back to the same one?

As far as I know at least.

So technically speaking, our words are unique giant instances of the same map, with customized geographical modifications (burned down villages for example), and randomly generated alignement for npc's. Yet the npc's are similar to the main world, and generally speaking, so is the map?

Yes.

So a village you discovered in a reflected world, will also be there in another, but in a possibly different state? (like overrun by monsters, or with fanatical npc's instead of friendly ones).

Yes.

If this is the case, what happens to special locations? Like for example, you had a previous quest to find a certain item at a specific spot (let's say a fountain that has whatever properties). Will the fountain on another world be usable by your character?

Not sure, but I imagine it would.

Another thing I just thought about, what is at the place of the citadel in other reflected words? Is it a randomly generated thing? or simply empty space (like a forest or whatnot).

Also unsure.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:50 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

As I recall, almost all adventures will START in a community RW or the Citadel. Researching an item, talking to a NPC, etc. Your story (quest) continues "mostly" in YOUR RW, although you might want to go to a community RW or Citadel to get information / more research. If Fred the smithy dies in YOUR RW, he would no longer be in any of your story line in your RW. Maybe Ralph would show up and take over his smithy, maybe it would remain vacant.
Fred might still be in your friends RWs and if you teamed up with one to do HIS adventure, you might see him again.
Basically, your personal Story RW will remain consistent with your story from start to end. Your story might cross paths with someone else's story if you help them or they help you but it will only affect the world of the owner of the adventure you are on.

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Reflected Worlds