CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Reflected Worlds

Post Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:26 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

I understand that as heroes, mining, farming, fishing and what not, are not part of the plan, and that is fine.

However, I am wondering if we can discover ressources (like a mine or whatnot), and sell the informations to a village or a npc, or even offer npc's to set up a shop (which would set the miners, transport and what not), and we just get just a part of the profit, or something similar.

After all, nobody like a poor hero :D

Post Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:45 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Yes, this is possible, though what the NPCs do with the information is up to them. You can tell them, and possibly benefit from the discovery though.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:04 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Thank you for the reply :)

Will we have the possibility eventually, to only tell our shop's employees? So we get a direct benefit from it?

Post Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:29 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

squishy wrote:
Thank you for the reply :)

Will we have the possibility eventually, to only tell our shop's employees? So we get a direct benefit from it?

Not sure what you mean by 'our' shop. CoS really is not a resource game, it is a quest oriented game. Anything that is found in the world that you tell NPCs about will be involved within the Quests, not as a resource that they will then exploit, or that you will exploit. In the case I mentioned earlier, you may benefit in some way by telling NPCs about something you discover, but there will be no ongoing financial benefit to you in the way of harvesting resources. You may gain some good will from a particular village, or person, but only if that is part of the quest.

CoS is about the Epic story, the changing world the extremely variable Quests, uncovering plots, solving mysteries, and generally making your actions matter. What it is not is a resource gathering game. There are no mines, hides, rocks to hammer, wheat to cut, trees to cut down, etc. You will be too busy in the story to be involved in that kind of thing.

Imagine Frodo stopping to harvest wheat, or start a gold mine on his way to Mt. Doom. Sorry, but he has to save the world, not harvest resources. That's what you will be doing, having epic adventures that change the course of the world history.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:40 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

I did not mean harvest them :). I thought we had a player own shop, sort of speak? If so, I thought we got some financial gains from it. Did I misunderstood?

Post Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:33 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

squishy wrote:
I did not mean harvest them :). I thought we had a player own shop, sort of speak? If so, I thought we got some financial gains from it. Did I misunderstood?

Yes, there are player owned stores, but these are service oriented, not resource driven. Your shop can enhance, repair, improve, modify, etc., but your shop does not make things from raw materials (resource gathering).

Post Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:40 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Ah, I assumed ressources were needed to render the services. :)

Post Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:47 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

squishy wrote:
Ah, I assumed resources were needed to render the services. :)

An easy mistake. We decided from the beginning to cut down as much as possible on repetitious game play. Collecting resources is typically one of those time sinks put into games to keep players busy doing a repetitious menial task. With that in mind, we decided to completely do away with collecting resources.

Now, this does not mean that players do not get to create things, they do, but they won't be chopping wood, hammering ore, or any other time sink. We wanted to keep the creative aspect of crafting, but do away with both the resource gathering and the standing at a forge hammering all day, etc.

Even running a store is something that should not be a time sink, players do not have to stay at their store and do any tasks. They setup the store, and manage prices, etc, but they hire NPCs to do the actual work (time sink).

Our simple objective is to keep players how doing epic quests, or other non-repetitive endeavors.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:09 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

So, the only gathering to speak off is for improvement/enchantement, which is also done thru questing, corrrct?

Post Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:19 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

squishy wrote:
So, the only gathering to speak off is for improvement/enchantement, which is also done thru questing, corrrct?

Yes, but 'gathering' will not include seeking raw resources, not like wood, ore, hides, etc. You will instead be finding things through treasure drops, or going to specific locations (which you must 'quest' to reach, or making deals with other races/creatures.

We haven't yet released the key piece of information about this improvement system (still under wraps), but we have talked about the fact that every item you get can start out as Mundane, and then you choose how to turn its potential into a magical, soulbound or Monogrammed set item. The important thing to remember is that every item is potentially something great, and every item can be made into many MANY different things. You make it into what you want through our crafting by adventure system rather than repetitious gathering and standing at a forge, or other device that makes you stand somewhere for some length of time (AKA, a time sink).

Some improvements you get for your item require an artisan to work on the item, a service. For example: you find a Talisman of some unique power and want to work that into your helm. You take the Talisman and Helm to a helm store and pay a small service fee to have the artisan rework the helm. At the same time, you could have the looks of the helm reworked as well, so it matches the rest of your armor, or turns a Tyven helm into something that fits a Gargoyle head.

You do not have to wait for this, (no standing around), they do the work, you just have it done. These services can be offered by player run stores.

Of course, adding Charms or Talismans you find is just one of many different ways to improve your item. Some improvements do not require an artisan, these usually involve completing a relic and journeying to a special location (all part of quests) so that you can add the relic to your item through some magical means. Again, all done through a story driven quest, not a repetitious hammering session.

The reason we even took out the resource gathering (along with the forge hammering) is simply that in other MMOs we experienced (and I'm sure you have as well) a situation where we were headed on a quest to do something fun and some member of the team suddenly stops to hammer on a rock, or to skin some goat or something. The rest of us are standing there going, "Damn it, let's GO!"

With our quests being much deeper than what you are typically used to in other MMO games, these interruptions to the story would be even more annoying. So we wanted our players to have the ability to be creative, to make items into what they want, and have the opportunity to sell their creation, or to have their name attached to a particularly great item they made, all without resorting to things that made you stand still and interrupt the quest.

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Reflected Worlds