CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Reflected Worlds

Post subject: Re: Reflected Worlds?
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:49 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

enceladus wrote:
Hey,

I have a few questions regarding the RW's. I don't exactly understand the whole concept of them. Like do I have to teleport to a RW from a quest hub? or while I'm not out questing do I have the whole world available for me to explore?

I'd appriciate if somone would fill me in on what exactly RW's are and how they will work inside the game.

Sure, I'll give you the short version. A Reflected world is the entire world, reflected. You have the entire world to use in every RW. Read the Lore off the main page and you'll see how they were created in the mythos. However, basically each one is a full world, but they are not exact duplicates. The terrain features are basically the same, and major things are generally the same, but smaller things can be quite different.

All Reflected Worlds once came from the same original world, and so they have a strange connection, an elasticity. When enough people change things similarly in many RWs, chance favors the others headed this way, thus they continue to be somewhat similar. But if you kill a shop keeper in one, he doesn't necessarily die in the others. If you go on a quest on one, and you end up on a similar quest in another RW, and you try to do the same things... it won't be the same, similar, but not the same. In fact, should you attempt to make choices based on what you did before, it will likely hurt your more than help you. Treat each RW as a unique place, and you'll do better.

The game uses two types of Reflected Worlds: Story and Community RWs. Story RWs are reserved for just your group, and have very involved quests that can take days or weeks to complete, like going through an entire fantasy novel story, though it changes based on what you do. Community RWs are fully massive multiplayer and have different types of gameplay options that generally (but not exclusively) involve multiple player groups working together on major war elements.

Anyway, there you go, a very brief look at Reflected Worlds in CoS.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:23 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Jatar wrote:
The game uses two types of Reflected Worlds: Story and Community RWs. Story RWs are reserved for just your group, and have very involved quests that can take days or weeks to complete, like going through an entire fantasy novel story, though it changes based on what you do. Community RWs are fully massive multiplayer and have different types of gameplay options that generally (but not exclusively) involve multiple player groups working together on major war elements.

This is news to me Jatar and while it helped me better understand how game play slightly differs when it comes to the RWs, it also raised some questions.

Can someone choose to spend their game time solely in a story RW?

If they did decide to just play in their story RW, will they ever need a group to finish their quest(s) story lines?

And vice versa, can you choose to only play in a community world or battle world (I think you called them that in another thread)?

Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:59 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Jalitan wrote:

This is news to me Jatar and while it helped me better understand how game play slightly differs when it comes to the RWs, it also raised some questions.

Can someone choose to spend their game time solely in a story RW?
:Yes, they can. But remember that these are not 'solo', you can bring group members with you if you want.

If they did decide to just play in their story RW, will they ever need a group to finish their quest(s) story lines?
:No one ever needs a group in CoS, but there are MANY things in the game that are more fun with groups, so it does promote group play, it just does not require it.

And vice versa, can you choose to only play in a community world or battle world (I think you called them that in another thread)?
:Yes, you can choose to only play in Community worlds, if that is your shtick.

The real answer here is that we are attempting to give players unprecedented amounts of game play choices, but not require them to do anything they don't want to do.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:30 pm 
Citadel Guardian

Just one question, is there a limit to the amount of reflected worlds? or have i taking this in the wrong way?

Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:04 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Roflcopter wrote:
Just one question, is there a limit to the amount of reflected worlds? or have i taking this in the wrong way?

There is no limit to the number of RWs but likely you are taking it the wrong way :P You don't choose to go to a particular RW, you just go, and end up in one. If you don't join another group, but go back and forth to the Citadel, you will stay in the same RW all day. If you join some other group later in the day, you will end up in whatever RW they were going to that day.

Also... you can choose to go into a Community RW or a Story RW. These are different RWs. Simply by selecting your Quest or League Action you will automatically go into a Story RW. However, if you choose a Community RW you will go there, but you can't progress your Quest, Mission or League Action in that case. You will be doing other kinds of game play in a CRW, like Warfare, Campaigns and Incursions.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:04 pm 
Citadel Guardian

This game keeps getting more & more interesting every time i come onto the forums... :D

Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:18 am 
Citadel Guardian

Mage Vizier wrote:
This game keeps getting more & more interesting every time i come onto the forums... :D

Yes, quite the proverbial "sandbox" environment.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:37 pm 
Citadel Guardian

Let me see if I understand this "Reflected Worlds" business:

The Reflected Worlds are essentially all webbed together in a universe of personal worlds meshed into the entirety of CoS.

Each player plays in their own world, that is then a reflection of the actual world. Bringing friends with you onto quests, meshes RW's together of the participating players. However the end results are reflected differently upon each player. Therefore a RW or chapter of that player's life ends and a new chapter begins when they leave that RW and return from whence they came. My questions are:

"Are we all viewing the game in our own RW already?" "Is there a neutral center among these endless reflections?"

Sort of like the never ending mirror illusion.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:47 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Recyrexor wrote:
Let me see if I understand this "Reflected Worlds" business:

The Reflected Worlds are essentially all webbed together in a universe of personal worlds meshed into the entirety of CoS.

Each player plays in their own world, that is then a reflection of the actual world. Bringing friends with you onto quests, meshes RW's together of the participating players. However the end results are reflected differently upon each player. Therefore a RW or chapter of that player's life ends and a new chapter begins when they leave that RW and return from whence they came. My questions are:

"Are we all viewing the game in our own RW already?" "Is there a neutral center among these endless reflections?"

Sort of like the never ending mirror illusion.

Not exactly, each player does not own or play in their own RW. There are a multitude of Reflected World, each being somewhat similar, though not exactly the same. You don't worry about which one you are in, you just travel through a portal and end up in one, it may not be the same one you were in before, though it could be. If you change groups, and then enter another RW, it will VERY likely be a different RW. If you stay in the same group and leave the RW, then return, it will be the same one. The only thing to remember is that if you go to another RW, and happen to take on something that you previously experienced in another RW... it won't be the same. These are not duplicates or instances of the same thing... they are Reflections, something similar, but not the same. In fact, it's best to ignore what you think you know so that you don't make decisions based on incorrect information. Just treat every situation as if it was the first time you had to deal with it, and you will be a lot safer.

Example: You go to an RW, and happen to run into a notorious bandit leader. He invites you to his house and then tries to kill you. Later, you happen to be in another RW and you run into what seems to be the same Bandit leader, he has the same name, looks the same, but when he invites you to his house, you don't wait for him to attack, you kill him because you KNOW what he is going to do... except he wasn't going to try to kill you this time, he was going to offer to help you in your quest. Don't expect people or situations to be the same, treat each RW as a new place and you'll do fine. There is a lot more to this, with elasticity of events, and how your actions could effect all RWs, but this gives you a general idea.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:29 pm 
Citadel Guardian

So I re-read the Lore on RW's. A few things stirred in my brain as I pondered the essence of RW's.

"Will we 'know' we have stepped into a new RW?"
"Will the changing of RW's seem like a twisted version of Inception lol?"
"How vastly different or subtle could the RW's be within a group?"

In my mind. I am thinking of something new. A reflected world, is something I've never thought up. Multiple dimensions sure, twisted dreams and false senses of reality, absolutely. In a sense we will be living in a fun-house, that when one mirror breaks, a thousand more rooms are created from its pieces. And all we see is the changing of ourselves.

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Reflected Worlds