CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Reflected Worlds

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Reflected Worlds?
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:02 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Recyrexor wrote:
So I re-read the Lore on RW's. A few things stirred in my brain as I pondered the essence of RW's.

"Will we 'know' we have stepped into a new RW?"
"Will the changing of RW's seem like a twisted version of Inception lol?"
"How vastly different or subtle could the RW's be within a group?"

In my mind. I am thinking of something new. A reflected world, is something I've never thought up. Multiple dimensions sure, twisted dreams and false senses of reality, absolutely. In a sense we will be living in a fun-house, that when one mirror breaks, a thousand more rooms are created from its pieces. And all we see is the changing of ourselves.

I like the twisted version of Inception thing... :lol:
However... Yes, you will know you have changed RWs. The reason for this is how we send you to one. When you enter the CoS game and go through a portal to an RW, the game assigns one to that player (at random). This is not the same one you were in last time you were here. However, for the duration of your stay in the game, any time you are the leader of a group, or solo playing, you will go to the same RW.

If, however, you join another player, you will go into their assigned RW (for that session). If you then leave their group, and go back as a solo or group leader it will be back to your original RW. If you leave CoS, and return, now you will go into a new RW, even if you are the leader or solo.

In addition, you can choose to go to a community RW (which will again be a different RW). Also, if you go on a group mission, and the group decides to postpone that Mission to another time/day, when they all reassemble to play they will be returning to that same RW, even if this is on a different day, and after leaving the game and returning.

There you go... how you know when you are in a different RW, if you want to keep all that straight. ;)

Generally, it just doesn't matter. Our only warning to people is to understand that though the world you enter may seem eerily familiar... it may not be the same. Things that give you deja vu in the game, are just something that is like a bad memory... if you expect things to unfold the way you remember, you will likely be unpleasantly surprised. Just treat each quest/adventure/mission, etc. as if you have never seen it before... because you really haven't. It won't be the same, because this is a Reflected World, not a copy.

As for how different? That is all relative, there is no easy way to answer that. There is variance, sometimes subtle, sometimes dramatic. The king's brother might be a traitor in one, and the king' s best ally in another, or dead in another. So.. when you hear about the King's brother in a story, try to figure out his involvement by what you can discover and learn right now, not by what you remember from the past.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:51 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Hmm, what if we made friends with an NPC in a particular RW? Will we be able to find the correct RW in which they are a friend? Also, I was wondering about our reputation with villages and other groups of NPC's. Will we need to keep track of which ones are friendly and in what RW they reside?

Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:28 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Lonfer wrote:
Hmm, what if we made friends with an NPC in a particular RW? Will we be able to find the correct RW in which they are a friend? Also, I was wondering about our reputation with villages and other groups of NPC's. Will we need to keep track of which ones are friendly and in what RW they reside?

No, as I said, you guys are getting too concerned with the 'which' Reflected World thing. It's not something you track in any way, or care about in any way. Just go adventuring, you'll be on an RW, everything will be fine. There is no way to mark, name, tell or know which one you are on, ever. Just treat them all as the same... my only warning was that if you happen to end up on some story element that gives you deja vu, ignore what you remember and just act as though you don't know what's coming, you'll be better off.

All other elements are handled by the elasticity of the RW system, it won't matter which one you are on when it comes to who you know, and who remembers you. This is all transparent to the game. As I said, don't get wrapped up in 'which' RW, just go have fun, it really won't matter which one you are on.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:49 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

I don't get how you can be thrown into an alternate dimension each time you log on, yet your actions are consequential. I mean, if I burn down some castle and kill my arch nemesis, does it really make sense that his castle would be there the next day? I just feel like you can't truly feel like you're impacting a world that's constantly being "reset."

Will we see other players in story RWs?

If we see other players in community RWs, can we have opposing goals? If my understanding is correct, there isn't open world PvP, so how would conflicts like this be resolved? What if someone follows my group around and just slaughters everyone relevant to our quest? Is that even possible?

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:58 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

cerdom wrote:
I don't get how you can be thrown into an alternate dimension each time you log on, yet your actions are consequential. I mean, if I burn down some castle and kill my arch nemesis, does it really make sense that his castle would be there the next day? I just feel like you can't truly feel like you're impacting a world that's constantly being "reset."

Will we see other players in story RWs?

If we see other players in community RWs, can we have opposing goals? If my understanding is correct, there isn't open world PvP, so how would conflicts like this be resolved? What if someone follows my group around and just slaughters everyone relevant to our quest? Is that even possible?

Let's see, lots of issues to resolve here.

Yes, this is an MMORPG, so the world must go on, and keep other players from messing things up for you to the point where the game isn't fun to play. Yet, we also want you to have the experience of being able to affect the world with your actions, or be with other groups if you want. Can we? Yes. Do we, yes. Am I going to tell you all the ways we make this happen? Not a chance. This is YEARS of game design, we're not handing out how we accomplish everything. Now...

Are these alternate dimensions... no, just other planets that are reflections of the one you were in.

Can you burn down a castle, ah, no. However there will be times when you do something that impacts the world, and in those cases, it will influence ALL Reflected Worlds. Again, not going to explain in detail out the elastic connection between RWs works, it just does.

Does the world reset? Not really. During each session you play the world will remain consistent (unless you join some other group and go to another RW). If you leave your session and come back to take up your quest, the world will still remain consistent. It does not reset. This idea of 'resetting' is not part of our system. Our worlds do the opposite, they move forward, and change. The one thing you can count on is that the world will change, because of things you do, and more importantly, because time is moving forward and the world is evolving... always.

So you want to kill your arch nemesis... go for it, though he's not going to be easy to kill (what arch nemesis worth anything is?) Still, let's say you have a VERY heroic moment and manage it... well, he's gone, dead, done, never to return, not on this RW, not on the next. Dead is dead, (with a few caveats, like was he Of the Blood? Or, can he return as a ghost?)

Community RWs are there for players who WANT to deal with other players messing up their action. Or, more importantly, for players who want to take on large war efforts that require multiple groups to cooperate on the same goal. Whether that cooperation works or they mess you up, well, that's the life of dealing with other live players.

If that's not your bag, we offer the Story RWs, where you and your group can have the entire RW just for you and your massively epic quest. No one can mess you up, and all our Quests take place in those worlds. Community worlds offer a different set of game play elements, like Campaigns (many many players taking on a big goal), or Warfare, where multiple groups each take on an objective of a bigger battle, or Incursions, where multiple (or single) groups attempt to claim enemy strongholds, and hold them for as long as they can. And more... It is your choice (based on your current mood) which type of world and game play you wish to do at the moment.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:45 pm 
Citadel Recruit

Jatar wrote:
However there will be times when you do something that impacts the world, and in those cases, it will influence ALL Reflected Worlds.

I'm going to name my guy Doctor Who and butterfly effect the **** out of the RWs :D

But the concept of joining different RWs with different groups and how your own storyline ties into your personal RW that you get when you log on makes a lot of sense. I cant wait to play some campaigns on a community RW though, that sounds so epic!

Post Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:07 am 
Citadel Guardian

Once you start carving out your own legacy in a reflected world, then is there any way in which you can label it as your own Reflected World, save it, and maintain it for yourself? If so, then are there going to be special player controls for this?

Hey, if I start working to change and shape a Reflected World, then you'd better believe that I want to keep it as my own. :lol:

And, as far as group and community activities go, will there be a reflected world list, where one can see what's going on in each reflected world at the moment, select which reflected world to pop in as permitted, and get right into participating in the desired activities in question?

Last edited by Lunging Wolf on Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:45 am 
Hero of the Citadel

You won't be able to keep a RW for your own, especially as you will have to fight a huge number of mobs and do PvP against other players who will want to have that RW(maybe cause they find most of their quests taking lplace there,....), also the size of the RW is unimaginably big, and your just a speck in that mega sized RW. You will have a very big headache if you try to own one and you won't be able to cover all the areas in the same second with multiple NPC's asking for help or plotting bad things against you,....

Post Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:46 am 

RWs aren't numbered or named. You get your own RW for story quests, but quests take place on different worlds. Once all that is tying you to a specific RW is complete, you will then be going to other worlds. The amount of work that would be needed to make any significant change to a world, would take a community, a long time. So there is 1 world dedicated to that. Devil has a point though, even on this 1 community RW, i don't doubt that there will still be vast amounts of land and sea, unexplored by anyone for many years.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:36 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Many, many years. Players are not used to the size of our world. It is best to just think of Earth (since our world is about the same size), and how long it would take you to walk or ride a horse to see it all.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Reflected Worlds