CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Reflected Worlds




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:10 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator

Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:47 pm
Posts: 812
A few question about generic localles with personal reflected worlds;

Just for clarification really, are all towns cities ruins and dungeons located in the reflected world ?
Do Major cities exist outside of the Citadel ?
And I can't remember but do you get some lands and a base to develop a home from in the wilderness, and do you have a choice as to where this is ?
And can you have multiple homes? or just the one

Any insight appreciated if its common knowledge...

I really want a couple of rooms piled high with loot, ah thats another one treasure piles that look like treasure piles are a must.....

_________________
The Signs are in the sky.

Look Down.....


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:27 pm 
Offline
Producer
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:00 am
Posts: 352
Your personal world is an exact copy of the normal world but customized to your background history. If you failed to save a town then it will be destroyed in your world until it's rebuilt.

The locations will be the same in all worlds, however the residents of that location could be different. A castle in one region could contain Morphael's minions for one person and a cult for another. The massive portals build by the Citadel will exist in what you would consider "major" cities in each territory.

While the worlds are all separate, they tend to have an "elasticity" to them. In simple terms, most things will exist in every world but will have slight differences. To make this more complex, with the Adventure system sections of the entire world can be changed depending on what players do. If a majority of players fail to save a town during a daily Adventure, the "elasticity" of the Reflected Worlds causes the town to somehow be destroyed in the other worlds. It could be a freak accident, a different raiding party after you save the first one, or any other strange thing. The Reflected Worlds try to align themselves whenever possible. It's pretty complex.

As for your personal house, all players will have a free one in the Citadel Barracks which is controlled by the Citadel. Guilds can choose their own guild locations, terraform their area, decide housing placement, and other features. These guild housing locations will exist in their own private RW.

What can you do with your house? Well, you can setup a shop to enhance/repair items, collect trophies of your adventures and other things that we're still working on in design.

_________________
"It's like no other system you've seen before." - Me


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:02 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator

Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:47 pm
Posts: 812
Morphael wrote:
Your personal world is an exact copy of the normal world but customized to your background history. If you failed to save a town then it will be destroyed in your world until it's rebuilt.

The locations will be the same in all worlds, however the residents of that location could be different. A castle in one region could contain Morphael's minions for one person and a cult for another. The massive portals build by the Citadel will exist in what you would consider "major" cities in each territory.

While the worlds are all separate, they tend to have an "elasticity" to them. In simple terms, most things will exist in every world but will have slight differences. To make this more complex, with the Adventure system sections of the entire world can be changed depending on what players do. If a majority of players fail to save a town during a daily Adventure, the "elasticity" of the Reflected Worlds causes the town to somehow be destroyed in the other worlds. It could be a freak accident, a different raiding party after you save the first one, or any other strange thing. The Reflected Worlds try to align themselves whenever possible. It's pretty complex.

As for your personal house, all players will have a free one in the Citadel Barracks which is controlled by the Citadel. Guilds can choose their own guild locations, terraform their area, decide housing placement, and other features. These guild housing locations will exist in their own private RW.

What can you do with your house? Well, you can setup a shop to enhance/repair items, collect trophies of your adventures and other things that we're still working on in design.


Sounds good.

_________________
The Signs are in the sky.

Look Down.....


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:41 pm 
Offline
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:00 am
Posts: 493
Location: Denver, CO, USA
That does sound like it will be interesting. A city would suddenly go up in flames for no apparent reason leaving people to ask "which reflected world screwed this up?!"
Although I have to admit, it would've been kinda cool if the worlds didn't reflect what happened to each other so that over time each world would become completely different. But then they wouldn't be called reflected worlds, would they? ;)


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:51 am 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator

Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:47 pm
Posts: 812
Lonfer wrote:
That does sound like it will be interesting. A city would suddenly go up in flames for no apparent reason leaving people to ask "which reflected world screwed this up?!"
Although I have to admit, it would've been kinda cool if the worlds didn't reflect what happened to each other so that over time each world would become completely different. But then they wouldn't be called reflected worlds, would they? ;)


I have a feeling that from a tech perspective a lot of us will be in the same world but with flags set so taht you only see NPCs and your group; some of the larger cities I think someone mentioned large regional capitals may have shared access so we may all be able to see a game go up in flames together. And then back out into the larger world. I guess with 900 000 000 Square Kilometers of space all the cities in the world will take up a mere 0.000001% of the total area it may even be less.

The common impacts may be more subtle around politics and taxes , or factions taking over cities i,e, macro politics which may make life hard if you are of an opposite faction . It would be nice if you could get all your friends of a certain faction together and vote them off the council or whatever the goverment structure is. To make life easy again lower taxes and cheaper good.

I need to calm down I like the idea of this MMO too much I must calm down.

_________________
The Signs are in the sky.

Look Down.....


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:01 am 
Offline
Lead Designer
Lead Designer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:00 am
Posts: 1876
Isane wrote:
Lonfer wrote:
That does sound like it will be interesting. A city would suddenly go up in flames for no apparent reason leaving people to ask "which reflected world screwed this up?!"
Although I have to admit, it would've been kinda cool if the worlds didn't reflect what happened to each other so that over time each world would become completely different. But then they wouldn't be called reflected worlds, would they? ;)


I have a feeling that from a tech perspective a lot of us will be in the same world but with flags set so taht you only see NPCs and your group; some of the larger cities I think someone mentioned large regional capitals may have shared access so we may all be able to see a game go up in flames together. And then back out into the larger world. I guess with 900 000 000 Square Kilometers of space all the cities in the world will take up a mere 0.000001% of the total area it may even be less.

The common impacts may be more subtle around politics and taxes , or factions taking over cities i,e, macro politics which may make life hard if you are of an opposite faction . It would be nice if you could get all your friends of a certain faction together and vote them off the council or whatever the goverment structure is. To make life easy again lower taxes and cheaper good.

I need to calm down I like the idea of this MMO too much I must calm down.


For a little more clarity on the idea of Reflected Worlds... they are not an 'exact duplicate', so what Morphael wrote earlier in this thread could be misunderstood. What he meant was that the Reflected Worlds have the same geography and general locations of towns and castles. However, these RWs are in no way exact duplicates of each other. They are not 'instances' as you see in other games. Nor do they instantly reflect what happens in another Reflected World. In fact, Reflected Worlds can be extremely different in many ways. They are certainly similar, and that is the strongest word I would use in describing their relationship.

For example, say you go on a quest to overthrow a government of some kingdom that is throwing in with Morphael instead of the Citadel. Now, later, you join up with another group going on a quest and they go to a different RW to overthrow the same government... it won't be the same. It may feel familiar, but as you progress through the quest you will realize that you can't trust what you saw in the other RW, because that was a different reflection of this reality, and this one is not the same. In fact, if you try to use what you know from that quest in the other RW, it will more likely harm you than help you. Example, in that other RW the king's brother was in league with Morphael, and you had to kill him. In this one if you go kill the king's brother, because you think he is a traitor, you may find he was on the Ctiadel side, and now you are wanted for killing an innocent man!

If a town burns down in one RW, it will not burst into flames in other RWs. If you kill a shop keeper, he does not drop dead or disappear in the other RWs. However, there is an elastic effect that will favor change in the direction of the majority. This means that over time, what players change in multiple RWs, will effect other RWs, but in subtle ways, making chance favor the general majority.

I know that this may sound confusing, but you don't really need to worry about it. The only thing you really need to know is that when you go to an RW, expect the unexpected, expect things to be different, treat this as a different world, not an instance of the same world. People and what is happening at places WILL be different. You may experience a feeling of deja vu, but this is not Kansas anymore, Dorothy. Each world is a different reflection of the rest, not a duplicate.

_________________
Remember, patience is a virtue, kill them later. - Poison: from Cathexis: Conspirator's Coin.
http://www.philipblood.com


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:35 am 
Offline
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:11 pm
Posts: 41
I think it is amazing that you are able to write code that allows for a castle to be inhabited by a certain group in one RW, and in another be inhabited by an entirely separate group. Amazing. That alone is a major step forward from traditional MMO's where you can expect the exact same group in the castle, and in fact you learn to know exactly where they stand and how they path. Good

There is a part of reflected worlds I can never get my head around though. In the standard MMO model we all see other PC's runing around doing quests or harvesting or crafting...but if I have my own personal RW, am I alone? Do I never see other PC's (apart from the citadel)? I just think that having other players around makes the world more alive...


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:30 am 
Offline
Lead Designer
Lead Designer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:00 am
Posts: 1876
Pellagren wrote:
I think it is amazing that you are able to write code that allows for a castle to be inhabited by a certain group in one RW, and in another be inhabited by an entirely separate group. Amazing. That alone is a major step forward from traditional MMO's where you can expect the exact same group in the castle, and in fact you learn to know exactly where they stand and how they path. Good

There is a part of reflected worlds I can never get my head around though. In the standard MMO model we all see other PC's runing around doing quests or harvesting or crafting...but if I have my own personal RW, am I alone? Do I never see other PC's (apart from the citadel)? I just think that having other players around makes the world more alive...


Two things...
The first is that a personal RW will still seem alive, unlike some other MMO's you may have played, our NPCs are fully active, living their lives, not standing around. So the world is fully populated with moving 'living' people. However, you will not see other players who are not part of your group. Other players could adversely affect the depth of quest we are attempting to achieve in these worlds.

Second... for those who really want to see and work with other players (for whatever reason) we have community RWs, where many other players are in the same world with you. But we wanted to make these other players more than just eye candy, so much of the game play in these Community RWs is tailored around PC cooperation, where more than one player group can and will work together toward common goals (far more so than a simple Raid concept).

_________________
Remember, patience is a virtue, kill them later. - Poison: from Cathexis: Conspirator's Coin.
http://www.philipblood.com


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:34 am 
Offline
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:11 pm
Posts: 41
Sounds great. I know your NPC's will be alive. I think it is really astounding that you can use AI/software to make NPC's have actual lives and not always stand in the same place offering their services 24/7.

So, by the sound of it, there will be reflected worlds where a guild can live? I think that makes a lot of sense. Make the entire guild responsible for that world and how it evolves/devolves depending on their actions...


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:05 am 
Offline
Fallen Hero
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:47 am
Posts: 100
Location: South Gloucestershire, England
Pellagren wrote:
So, by the sound of it, there will be reflected worlds where a guild can live? I think that makes a lot of sense. Make the entire guild responsible for that world and how it evolves/devolves depending on their actions...

On that topic, do you have any systems in place to stop a 'Super Guild' (i.e. a guild which the majority of COS players join) from controlling the outcomes of Reflected Worlds and creating their own paradise in game, much to the chagrin of the other players who only joined the guild because they wanted a large guild to join? I realise that this is totally unrealistic and unlikely, but it is possible. One day that guild will be mine... Mwuhahahaha. Tee hee hee.

_________________
There is no such thing as normal behaviour, only sensible.

Lack of a denial does not necessarily make an affirmation.

"Stop quoting laws to us. We carry swords."
Plutarch, "Life of Pompey", x, 2

Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Reflected Worlds


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron