CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Reflected Worlds

Post Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:04 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Heo Ashgah wrote:
On that topic, do you have any systems in place to stop a 'Super Guild' (i.e. a guild which the majority of COS players join) from controlling the outcomes of Reflected Worlds and creating their own paradise in game, much to the chagrin of the other players who only joined the guild because they wanted a large guild to join? I realise that this is totally unrealistic and unlikely, but it is possible. One day that guild will be mine... Mwuhahahaha. Tee hee hee.

Sorry, all you megalomaniac wanna be Guild dominators... but yes, there are things in place to keep this from happening. We didn't want the world to become one big guild you had to join. However, players CAN change the world, and Guilds will have their part in affecting the world (as will any large group of organized players). But this should only help other players, not hurt them. CoS is not a PVP game, all players are on the same side... their own! Er... wait, I should say, on the side of the Fallen Heroes, which they are all part of. This puts the players together against everything else, the Citadel, the Demons, Morphael, Grim Spirits, Fay races, and much more, but... not against each other.

It doesn't take a large guild to change the world. In fact, what's to keep a half million players (from many guilds and solo players) from cooperating on an idea and actually changing the course of all Reflected Worlds? Nothing. Go for it, and why not? Of course, it would take an amazing amount of cooperation... something I'd love to see, but knowing the way of humans, it's hard to get that much cooperation going. I can't even get three people to decide on where to go for dinner ;)

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:07 am 
Citadel Guardian

The exciting thing is that CoS is making it possible for players to make changes in the world they live in. Be it large or small.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:12 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Elderos wrote:
The exciting thing is that CoS is making it possible for players to make changes in the world they live in. Be it large or small.

I agree. I just hope that this game has a bit more perspective on the degree of change a player can make. I like that we can act heroically and better our characters in many ways that we best see fit. But, I have to admit that I don't care for the thought of gameplay allowing our players to become godlike in the world. The world as a whole should always be much bigger and more dangerous than the players can ever become.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:06 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Pellagren wrote:
Elderos wrote:

I agree. I just hope that this game has a bit more perspective on the degree of change a player can make. I like that we can act heroically and better our characters in many ways that we best see fit. But, I have to admit that I don't care for the thought of gameplay allowing our players to become godlike in the world. The world as a whole should always be much bigger and more dangerous than the players can ever become.

That is exactly our aim. To paraphrase Merlin, "There is always someone out there more cleverer than yourself."

On one player making god like changes... players can make changes, but it is more like in real life, you can make a change in the course of a democracy by voting... and your vote counts, and as a consequence of a lot of people voting the same way as you, there is change. But one person can't be a god, they only get their vote.

This is how the game world is changed by players, you vote by your actions, but one person's actions have little affect on the gargantuan world... but when enough players take similar action, yes, they can move the behemoth in some direction. Now, of course you have full control of what happens to your character, and your actions will matter personally and dramatically depending on what you do (like if you piss off a ruler of some country, he WILL remember you, and not fondly).

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Reflected Worlds