CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Reflected Worlds

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:56 pm 
Citadel Guardian

As the Devs reveal more and more about how the NPCs in-game will have their own lives and proceed to live them even when the player has logged, I find myself becoming intrigued by their own impact on the Reflected Worlds as opposed to the changes players can impose themselves.

For example, imagine there being a village where deforestation has happened to make clearings for farming. What would be the extent to which the NPCs continue this deforestation as they go about their daily lives (more so for the people whose job it is in the village to clear land for new farming and housing plots)? How much would the village advance, both culturally and technologically, on their own as time goes by? And how much of an impact would this have across the Reflected Worlds on that one particular village? Mind you, this is barring any and all storyline choices that a player can make to affect such a village and its surrounding area as well as a targeting from some of Morphael's creations or from other aggressive factions (Citadel included).

I may not be understanding how resources are implemented in the World as well as whether or not NPCs actually have an effect on their surroundings while asking these questions, but that does not deter my interest in how the Reflected Worlds naturally change with the systems planned without player intrusion.

"Happiness and moral duty are inseparably connected."
~George Washington

Post Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:46 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Since these worlds are reflections, if one village makes a change this is reflected across all RWs. When players change something its a bit different since being 'of the blood' they are an outside force, but even then the elasticity of the RWs will work to bring all RWs toward what the most Fallen Heroes accomplished.

But back to your main question, can NPCs change the world? Absolutely. The most fundamental difference between COS and other MMOs is that time moves forward, and things change, everyday.

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Reflected Worlds