CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Reflected Worlds

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:53 am 

How much will you be able to change a reflected world? :?
I have heard that it will be possible to change how the reflected world looks :) , to destroy villages and other things, but how much can a world be changed? :? Will you able to destroy huge cities :evil: , burn down forests or even destroy an entire world? :D

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:01 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

3milve wrote:
How much will you be able to change a reflected world? :?
I have heard that it will be possible to change how the reflected world looks :) , to destroy villages and other things, but how much can a world be changed? :? Will you able to destroy huge cities :evil: , burn down forests or even destroy an entire world? :D

Some of this information we're not releasing yet. You will not be able to destroy a world. You won't even be able to see an entire world, ever. Remember, if you play this game for fifty real years you won't explore a fraction of the world, it's a million times larger than any other game world we have ever seen. Planetary destruction is a bit more than you will be capable of doing.

Nor will you likely have the power to destroy cities. Again, too big for your power level. You aren't a god you know, and since we don't have nukes in a fantasy game, I'm not sure how far you and your torch will get.

The changes you make to the world are less about destruction and more about politics. Your actions might cause the fall of a kingdom, or of a ruler of a kingdom. Arsonists will not have a good time, we're not designing the game for them to run around torching things. Even if your actions lead to the destruction of a village, it won't be because you ran around with a torch, but because you failed to stop the raiders who do run around torching buildings. Now, this doesn't mean you won't sack some enemy village over in Morphael's lands at some point, but we'll leave what happens there for another time in the future.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:09 am 

Thanks for replying. :D
I didn't mean if it was possible to destroy a world ;) . I know that the world will be huge :D and that it would be like destroying earth 500 years ago. My question was more to understand how the game will work and if your actions really could affect the world that much. :)

Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 6:18 am 
Citadel Recruit

What I am interested in is how indepth is the game play as far as a real world concept of for example:" When we make a choice in real life there are retributions and consequences." Does a choice a player make in one world carry over to another world or effects that player in other worlds? Like Karma.

Post Posted: Sat May 21, 2011 5:53 am 
Fallen Hero

There is a thread which already describes this. Simply put, if you try to go around killing or committing crimes, the Citadel will arrest you and give you an apropriate punishment (I got the impression it was usually imprisonment.) As well as that, NPCs will remember your actions and react apropriately. If you found a priceless heirloom for them, they will like you (a lot). If you killed all of their descendants, they will either try to kill you themselves, or get the Citadel to do it.

Lack of a denial does not necessarily make an affirmation.

"Stop quoting laws to us. We carry swords."
Plutarch, "Life of Pompey", x, 2

Post Posted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:02 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Yoje wrote:
What I am interested in is how indepth is the game play as far as a real world concept of for example:" When we make a choice in real life there are retributions and consequences." Does a choice a player make in one world carry over to another world or effects that player in other worlds? Like Karma.

Yes, consequences do follow you through the RWs. As for imprisonment (from another post), yes, it is possible to be imprisoned, but don't worry, we won't lock you up... for long. There is always a way out, though some come with other consequences. I don't want to give more about this away, but I didn't want players thinking that they would be locked in some cell indefinitely with nothing to do! Now that would be boring. So we don't do that, we keep things moving, and entertaining.

Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:48 am 

Jatar wrote:
Yoje wrote:

Yes, consequences do follow you through the RWs. As for imprisonment (from another post), yes, it is possible to be imprisoned, but don't worry, we won't lock you up... for long. There is always a way out, though some come with other consequences. I don't want to give more about this away, but I didn't want players thinking that they would be locked in some cell indefinitely with nothing to do! Now that would be boring. So we don't do that, we keep things moving, and entertaining.

You mean we won't be able to scratch our names into the Cell walls .... "Jatar was Here"

Look Down.....

Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:07 pm 
Citadel Guardian

Quote:
You mean we won't be able to scratch our names into the Cell walls .... "Jatar was Here"

Haha, that cracks me up... :lol:

Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:38 pm 
Fallen Hero

Jatar wrote:
The changes you make to the world are less about destruction and more about politics. Your actions might cause the fall of a kingdom, or of a ruler of a kingdom. Arsonists will not have a good time, we're not designing the game for them to run around torching things. Even if your actions lead to the destruction of a village, it won't be because you ran around with a torch, but because you failed to stop the raiders who do run around torching buildings. Now, this doesn't mean you won't sack some enemy village over in Morphael's lands at some point, but we'll leave what happens there for another time in the future.

I think the only experience I've had with politics in an MMO was in the early days of Star Wars Galaxies....and there really wasn't much to it at that. In terms of CoS what are politics going to look like? Are the Fallen Heroes active participants (voting for example) or is our role more about propping up regimes by defending them or questing for them?

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Reflected Worlds