CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Reflected Worlds




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:53 am 
Offline
Newbie

Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:20 am
Posts: 9
How much will you be able to change a reflected world? :?
I have heard that it will be possible to change how the reflected world looks :) , to destroy villages and other things, but how much can a world be changed? :? Will you able to destroy huge cities :evil: , burn down forests or even destroy an entire world? :D


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:01 am 
Offline
Lead Designer
Lead Designer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:00 am
Posts: 1876
3milve wrote:
How much will you be able to change a reflected world? :?
I have heard that it will be possible to change how the reflected world looks :) , to destroy villages and other things, but how much can a world be changed? :? Will you able to destroy huge cities :evil: , burn down forests or even destroy an entire world? :D


Some of this information we're not releasing yet. You will not be able to destroy a world. You won't even be able to see an entire world, ever. Remember, if you play this game for fifty real years you won't explore a fraction of the world, it's a million times larger than any other game world we have ever seen. Planetary destruction is a bit more than you will be capable of doing.

Nor will you likely have the power to destroy cities. Again, too big for your power level. You aren't a god you know, and since we don't have nukes in a fantasy game, I'm not sure how far you and your torch will get.

The changes you make to the world are less about destruction and more about politics. Your actions might cause the fall of a kingdom, or of a ruler of a kingdom. Arsonists will not have a good time, we're not designing the game for them to run around torching things. Even if your actions lead to the destruction of a village, it won't be because you ran around with a torch, but because you failed to stop the raiders who do run around torching buildings. Now, this doesn't mean you won't sack some enemy village over in Morphael's lands at some point, but we'll leave what happens there for another time in the future.

_________________
Remember, patience is a virtue, kill them later. - Poison: from Cathexis: Conspirator's Coin.
http://www.philipblood.com


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:09 am 
Offline
Newbie

Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:20 am
Posts: 9
Thanks for replying. :D
I didn't mean if it was possible to destroy a world ;) . I know that the world will be huge :D and that it would be like destroying earth 500 years ago. My question was more to understand how the game will work and if your actions really could affect the world that much. :)


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 6:18 am 
Offline
Citadel Recruit
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 11:23 am
Posts: 10
Location: U.S.A. North Canton, Ohio
What I am interested in is how indepth is the game play as far as a real world concept of for example:" When we make a choice in real life there are retributions and consequences." Does a choice a player make in one world carry over to another world or effects that player in other worlds? Like Karma.

_________________
"Be Good Or Be Good At It"
Game Designer in Training


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sat May 21, 2011 5:53 am 
Offline
Fallen Hero
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:47 am
Posts: 100
Location: South Gloucestershire, England
There is a thread which already describes this. Simply put, if you try to go around killing or committing crimes, the Citadel will arrest you and give you an apropriate punishment (I got the impression it was usually imprisonment.) As well as that, NPCs will remember your actions and react apropriately. If you found a priceless heirloom for them, they will like you (a lot). If you killed all of their descendants, they will either try to kill you themselves, or get the Citadel to do it.

_________________
There is no such thing as normal behaviour, only sensible.

Lack of a denial does not necessarily make an affirmation.

"Stop quoting laws to us. We carry swords."
Plutarch, "Life of Pompey", x, 2

Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:02 am 
Offline
Lead Designer
Lead Designer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:00 am
Posts: 1876
Yoje wrote:
What I am interested in is how indepth is the game play as far as a real world concept of for example:" When we make a choice in real life there are retributions and consequences." Does a choice a player make in one world carry over to another world or effects that player in other worlds? Like Karma.


Yes, consequences do follow you through the RWs. As for imprisonment (from another post), yes, it is possible to be imprisoned, but don't worry, we won't lock you up... for long. There is always a way out, though some come with other consequences. I don't want to give more about this away, but I didn't want players thinking that they would be locked in some cell indefinitely with nothing to do! Now that would be boring. So we don't do that, we keep things moving, and entertaining.

_________________
Remember, patience is a virtue, kill them later. - Poison: from Cathexis: Conspirator's Coin.
http://www.philipblood.com


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:48 am 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator

Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:47 pm
Posts: 812
Jatar wrote:
Yoje wrote:
What I am interested in is how indepth is the game play as far as a real world concept of for example:" When we make a choice in real life there are retributions and consequences." Does a choice a player make in one world carry over to another world or effects that player in other worlds? Like Karma.


Yes, consequences do follow you through the RWs. As for imprisonment (from another post), yes, it is possible to be imprisoned, but don't worry, we won't lock you up... for long. There is always a way out, though some come with other consequences. I don't want to give more about this away, but I didn't want players thinking that they would be locked in some cell indefinitely with nothing to do! Now that would be boring. So we don't do that, we keep things moving, and entertaining.


You mean we won't be able to scratch our names into the Cell walls .... "Jatar was Here"

_________________
The Signs are in the sky.

Look Down.....


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:07 pm 
Offline
Citadel Guardian
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:15 pm
Posts: 56
Location: Earth!
Quote:
You mean we won't be able to scratch our names into the Cell walls .... "Jatar was Here"




Haha, that cracks me up... :lol:

_________________
With knowledge comes power. When that knowledge is gained, the power unleashable is devastating.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:38 pm 
Offline
Fallen Hero
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:26 am
Posts: 141
Jatar wrote:
The changes you make to the world are less about destruction and more about politics. Your actions might cause the fall of a kingdom, or of a ruler of a kingdom. Arsonists will not have a good time, we're not designing the game for them to run around torching things. Even if your actions lead to the destruction of a village, it won't be because you ran around with a torch, but because you failed to stop the raiders who do run around torching buildings. Now, this doesn't mean you won't sack some enemy village over in Morphael's lands at some point, but we'll leave what happens there for another time in the future.



I think the only experience I've had with politics in an MMO was in the early days of Star Wars Galaxies....and there really wasn't much to it at that. In terms of CoS what are politics going to look like? Are the Fallen Heroes active participants (voting for example) or is our role more about propping up regimes by defending them or questing for them?


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Reflected Worlds


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron