CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Off Topic » About these Forums

Post subject: Official forums?
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:01 pm 
Citadel Recruit

I was wondering if there were any plans to code official forums for the game upon its release. Doing so would improve the aesthetics and allow for more control over everything. Also, will the main website be coded professionally?

Post subject: Re: Official forums?
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:35 pm 

Justice wrote:
I was wondering if there were any plans to code official forums for the game upon its release. Doing so would improve the aesthetics and allow for more control over everything. Also, will the main website be coded professionally?

Interesting question, I think you will find if you read a lot of Jatars responses that the group developing this are industry professionals with many years of mainstream development behind them. They also explain that placeholder content is in use at this stage of development .... which makes sense. I find it hard to believe they wouldn't do a professional job. Sounds like you are after work.

Look Down.....

Post subject: Re: Official forums?
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:29 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Justice wrote:

Please understand that some of the things you are asking (in this post, and others) are questions for a publisher.

We know some of you game players don't understand all the ways that games are made, so we will try to explain it to you. Many games you have played (especially MMO games, due to their high cost to develop) are made internally at a publisher, but this is NOT the only way games are made. There are also developers, who are not the publisher.

Developers design a game and then sell that game to a publisher, who then hires them to complete the game. The publisher then markets and supports the release of the game, and handles the ongoing maintenance and marketing of the game, as well as player complaints, error reporting, moderation, etc.

Case in point, official forums and game websites are handled by the publisher, which we are not.

So, what does a developer do? We make the game. Period.

So, to answer your question, will MMO Magic, Inc., be coding our own forum? Absolutely not, in fact, you are lucky we even started this one.

Will we be hiring some outside company to build a web site? Absolutely not. We are not involved with marketing the game.

Will the publisher decide to do either of these things? Probably, but you would need to talk to them about that (and many other things), not us.

We just make the game, and hope to make you a good one.

Board index » Off Topic » About these Forums