CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Off Topic » CoS Website

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:50 am 
Fallen Hero

I will be blunt: It sucks.

The background image is very important, it sets the theme for the game, the quality of the image displayed is the first thing a new visitor is going to look... and the current one looks taken from a browser low quality game.

Now I know that is not true, and the game aims to be a AAA, but the visitor does not know and does not care. Adding to pre alpha images displayed, it is a major turn down. You see, when some one checks those images they wont care if it is alpha, pre alpha what ever, they look crappy, they are not good to sell a product.

I know you don't have a marketing staff to take care of that stuff and my words may sound a bit harsh, but the true is... the way you have it, it is a major turn down to a new viewer.

Try to check Tera website, I know it is a finished product, but even before it was finished, the quality was high.

Try to start with concept art, something attractive that looks good really good. In the Media department, there is no concept art, but I saw some in your videos. So you have concept art, you have pics and stuff to display.

In the races the same thing, the images displayed look bad, until you have higher quality why not use concept art? It is more appealing then the current pics.

I am truly sorry if I am being too harsh, or even inconvenient and incorrect, I do know the game is still pre alpha, but when some one visits your website searching for an idea of what the game will look like, most of the times that person wont give a rats ass about what stage the game is. If it looks bad he will discard it without a second thought.

I hope the best for the game and I'am only talking out of concern, so keep my words and address them as you can and as you see fit, as I am light years away to understand how much work you have on your hands right now.

With my best regards

Maffer Dragonhand

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:05 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Actually, I have to agree. Especially in the video done for Kickstarter. If you have better graphics of in game activity, you might want to break them out so you can quickly get the attention of more people. Its a shame, but people do judge a game rather quickly based on initial movies and screen shots.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:01 pm 

Lonfer wrote:
Actually, I have to agree. Especially in the video done for Kickstarter. If you have better graphics of in game activity, you might want to break them out so you can quickly get the attention of more people. Its a shame, but people do judge a game rather quickly based on initial movies and screen shots.

The point about concept art is good, that combined with the toolsets and the approach may turn heads. That said you can only do the best with what you have now. I think the additional interviews and the dedicated UTube site helps as well.

Look Down.....

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:07 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Isane wrote:
Lonfer wrote:

The point about concept art is good, that combined with the toolsets and the approach may turn heads. That said you can only do the best with what you have now. I think the additional interviews and the dedicated UTube site helps as well.

I know. That's why I said if they have better graphics available. If not, then it does have to be considered that they are pre-alpha graphics.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:12 pm 

Lonfer wrote:
Isane wrote:
Lonfer wrote:

I know. That's why I said if they have better graphics available. If not, then it does have to be considered that they are pre-alpha graphics.

To be honest the CoS team seem very genuine to me and people will understand , the pull of decent gameplay is just too appealing. And theres a while to go two more videos today ...

Look Down.....

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:34 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Thanks for the feedback. If you think this website is awful, you probably missed out on the previous 3 websites we had :P

Short Answer: We'll update the website when we can, and this is not by any means considered our final product - just like every other piece of art that we have released thus far.

Long Answer:
One thing we'd like to point out is that we are an independently developed pre-alpha MMO.

Have you ever seen any of those online? Ever? Let alone releasing videos, screenshots, and design information? Probably not. We're taking a risk going public at this stage, but we recognize that we are at a point where we don't really have a choice. We are trying to do something so completely different than what is on the market currently, that people just won't believe what we say unless we show them. We have to try.

Most Triple A MMO's do not put up a website at this stage, and when they DO put up a website, they have a publisher and a team of web designers.

Our website was made by two people (with the team contributing some of the content).

I'm not trying to make excuses, I completely agree that we need to present the best face possible to the world. The reason those screenshots are there is because we don't want to lie about where we are. We need funding, artists, programmers, writers. This project is a labor of love and dedication, but at the end of the day, money eventually wins out.

Hopefully people understand that we're honest, hard working, and doing everything we can to take our game to the next level - whether that be finding the funding to self publish, or getting a publisher interested now that we have more to show them.

"Purging is at last at hand. Day of Doom is here. All that is evil, all their allies; your parents, your leaders, those who would call themselves your judges; those who have lied and corrupted the Earth, they shall all be cleansed." ~Thulsa Doom

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:27 pm 
Citadel Guardian

Just my 2 cents.

I think the website looks very nice actually. Could it use a bit of spit and polish? Yeah, sure, but on the other hand it has a nice clean look, it's easy to find what you're looking for...I like it overall. I can think of a couple of long standing MMORPG's that have front pages that look worse, and I don't even know too many to choose from!

As for the current pictures, for me, personally, it's as much as I'd need in a finished game. I do know a lot of people judge a game by graphics quite harshly, however. I'm not sure how many of those people would appreciate CoS and how many would expect more of the same and not really love a game that goes a different direction, but regardless, I think what is important is to always put the best foot forward.

No matter if what you see is placeholder or final, it's what exists right now, and I am thankful that the people working on this game are proud enough of their work to show it now. I'll be honest that in looking at what we have seen from the home page and kickstarter video, I was actually happy looking at the graphics, smiling to myself and saying "heck yeah, a game that won't require me to buy a new computer (or so it appears...maybe)!" :oops:

Kinda funny how two people can look at something and think different things about it. :lol:

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:12 pm 
Fallen Hero

Raevyn wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. If you think this website is awful, you probably missed out on the previous 3 websites we had :P

Short Answer: We'll update the website when we can, and this is not by any means considered our final product - just like every other piece of art that we have released thus far.

Long Answer:
One thing we'd like to point out is that we are an independently developed pre-alpha MMO.

Have you ever seen any of those online? Ever? Let alone releasing videos, screenshots, and design information? Probably not. We're taking a risk going public at this stage, but we recognize that we are at a point where we don't really have a choice. We are trying to do something so completely different than what is on the market currently, that people just won't believe what we say unless we show them. We have to try.

Most Triple A MMO's do not put up a website at this stage, and when they DO put up a website, they have a publisher and a team of web designers.

Our website was made by two people (with the team contributing some of the content).

I'm not trying to make excuses, I completely agree that we need to present the best face possible to the world. The reason those screenshots are there is because we don't want to lie about where we are. We need funding, artists, programmers, writers. This project is a labor of love and dedication, but at the end of the day, money eventually wins out.

Hopefully people understand that we're honest, hard working, and doing everything we can to take our game to the next level - whether that be finding the funding to self publish, or getting a publisher interested now that we have more to show them.

I have taken all that into consideration and again I am sorry for my bluntness. But at the end of the day you are trying to sell something.
I am not saying for you to disregard what you have accomplished so far, far from it with much respect for your honesty, what I am saying is that visually it will not attract much ppl. If you have nothing better to show at these point it's understandable, but in the kickstarter video there was some concept art that looked nice. Why not use it or display it along side with what you already have.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:23 am 
Team Member
Team Member

So just to be clear... Are you talking specifically about the screenshots we are using on the home slider?

"Purging is at last at hand. Day of Doom is here. All that is evil, all their allies; your parents, your leaders, those who would call themselves your judges; those who have lied and corrupted the Earth, they shall all be cleansed." ~Thulsa Doom

Post Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:21 am 
Fallen Hero

I am talking about the atrocious goblin+zombie (they look like that sorry) planted in a lifeless form on a black background that dismantles any appeal the original images had. And the chick I can only see her eyes because there is a News panel in front of her face, so you show the ugly dudes but hide the hot chick (-.-)". Not only the disposition seams lifeless as the colors used do not do there best to add appeal to the images but half of that could be fixed if I could see the hidden face, as for a wile I did not noticed it was the same image that was planted on the beginning of the Kickstarter video.

Nothing against the screenshots, if they don't look too good it's because of the game stage. That does not remove the fact that they don't feed the eyes of the viewer. You want to be honest and show in what stage things are? Good for you, honest guys, but show something else as well.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Off Topic » CoS Website