CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Combat

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Combat styles
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:01 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Thanks, we appreciate that. It is my hope that we can give you a game you enjoy playing, and I hope we can go on an adventure together in the Reflected Worlds in the future. Also, during testing, we will be glad to get your feedback.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:19 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Honestly I will just be VERY happy if CoS combat makes everyone have fun...instead of causing people to become jerks.

I played a certain themepark mmo recently, and did an instanced pvp match. Everyone on my team was dead at the moment, or on a far away corner of the map, and I was faced by two players on the opposing team. I held them off as best I could, but unfortunately I've just never been very good with the old rotation based combat system, so I always end up sucking a lot worse, and never being as effective as others that I may be working with.

Needless to say I died against those two players very quickly. As soon as I died, I guess the leader of our team decided to say that I suck...very much. This made me feel more bad than it should have, but I guess it just made me feel bad that I can't master the very complex and apparently very important rules of rotation based combat of MMO's. I'm hoping very much CoS can change that.

I'm hoping that in CoS, I will be able to just use the abilities that I feel should be appropriately used in accordance to my tactics and strategy, not because I have to use some sort of very specific rotation of skills and numbers that I didn't read enough into to win. I want to be able to provide valuable support to my allies in fights and actually feel like I know what I'm doing, not like a confused child who gets yelled at because he didn't memorize a rotation or whatever and use it properly.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:28 pm 
Hero of the Citadel

Its the same as riding a geared bike... You will learn which speed of the bike is for which gear gradually. Same way you will find out which skill suits you and which skills wont gradually. You may find a certain type suits you in one place and a different type suits you in another... Its all in the way we learn them and get used to combating with them.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:03 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

I hear ya. I just hope I don't need to have a huge understanding of how traditional MMO combat works in order to be good at CoS combat, even though I know it wont be similar at all.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:15 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Well, that is an interesting conundrum, will combat be like other MMOs, or not? The answer is both yes and no. The thing is, in the end you are doing similar things, hitting someone with a weapon, or blasting them with a spell, etc. So in that sense we will have things in common. You can even go further and say that the overall method of control will be similar, since there are really only two methods used traditionally, twitch or icon. No matter which we pick we will be similar to some other games.

So what sets us apart? Well, the devil is in the details they say. Our combat is designed to reward the player that adapts to the situation. This includes what has happened to your buddies, what your team is doing, what the opponents are doing, what the terrain is like, and how you are handling the very nature of our world (which is the area we haven't yet released).

Even without know the details of that last bit, there is plenty to weigh, and lots of strategy to consider. In the end what will hopefully set CoS combat apart is the fact that one strategy will not work for all situations, in fact, you will constantly have to devise new ones as you progress through the game, because your opponents will be doing that very thing.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:45 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Smolgen wrote:
Honestly I will just be VERY happy if CoS combat makes everyone have fun...instead of causing people to become jerks.

Unfortunately no matter where you go you you are going to run into people with the "killer" mentality. No matter how they set up the combat system, these players will seek and find exploits, advantages and inherent imbalances to take advantage of other people. They get gratification from their ability to interfere with other people in the game. Why would someone walk into an area and kill the flighmaster or destroy the transportation hub, just to mess up other people in the game.

The point is, no matter what they try to do to mitigate these people, they will always be there looking for another way. It's up to you to remember that it's just a game, and have fun with it.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:06 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

I understand that and I agree. But I meant how if you are in a group, in a traditional themepark MMO for example that has rotation based combat, and you and your group engage in combat with another force, if you lack as much understanding of how the combat works, and the group fails and everyone is killed, then all eyes fall on you.

I'm hoping that that will change with CoS combat. It will not be about rotations and all that jazz, it will be about actual tactics, strategy, positioning, planning, coordination and understanding your abilities and using them at the right time. It will be challenging, from what I can see, and just because it's not crazy rotation based combat does not mean it will be easy at all. I am looking forward to that challenge. But I want to be ridiculed by my allies for a bad strategy or tactic that failed...not because I didn't know how to work a stupid rotation or whatever.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:34 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

OH NO! NOT STRATEGY!
My PnP (pen and paper for non-real-rpgr's) group is GREAT at coming up with strategies.
Once the action starts, though, nobody follows through.
It will no doubt be that way in CoS also. There will always be someone in the party that forgets his/her job. LOL

Post Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:56 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

In CoS, there will be group strategy, sure, and your buddies might forget to do their part, but don't forget individual strategy as well. Things like using the terrain to your advantage. Get above your opponent by standing on a big boulder, then use a long reach weapon, put your back to a wall so fewer opponents can attack you at once, move into a confined space where long weapons are obstructed and switch to a dagger. Move to high ground and increase the damage of your missiles while shooting down at your opponents. Just some examples.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:58 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Jatar wrote:
In CoS, there will be group strategy, sure, and your buddies might forget to do their part, but don't forget individual strategy as well. Things like using the terrain to your advantage. Get above your opponent by standing on a big boulder, then use a long reach weapon, put your back to a wall so fewer opponents can attack you at once, move into a confined space where long weapons are obstructed and switch to a dagger. Move to high ground and increase the damage of your missiles while shooting down at your opponents. Just some examples.

That is EXACTLY what I am looking forward to :)

Combat that does not revolve around rotation bull crap and feels real. Combat where I can use tactics that I would actually use in real life if I were in such a situation...

You NEVER see anyone use these tactics at all.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Combat