CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Combat

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:45 am 
Citadel Guardian

Max wrote:
Speaking of newspaper articles and launchers..
This is for future reference obviously, but if i may suggest we make a CoS wiki? Link to which (or perhaps to make it more interactive some form of comment regarding our latest wiki contributor) could appear somewhere within the launcher window?

Been thinking of this yesterday, suggesting a wiki when the time is proper..the more 'links' there are between in-game context and post-game/external internet activities or portals the better i think; merely consider how google algorythms function and you'll get my point..plus, you would have your patrons' work showcasing the game for you! Think it a cross-breed between EQ2 players page (we would make wiki accounts using in-game character names) and FFIV wiki.
And in a game this big, we could use a wiki, especially crafting-wise. Most players start searching for databases even before their game has finished downloading.
Any thoughts?

I just said something about this to my wife yesterday, with the update to the main page.

I noticed there is now a section known as the Knowledge Base, which I was very happy to see. I hate what seems to be a current trend of game makers to set up an "official wiki" and let the players do all the work of presenting all the information in the game, and what's worse is how out of date a wiki can get, due to players not caring about certain parts enough.

I'd rather see that Knowledge Base be the place players are sent for more information.

Not that I am against a wiki, mind you, but I think it should be something the community wants and makes, without need of those official connections, due to it being information that isn't always from the source.

I have played one MMORPG that had a good amount of information by the developer on the site, covering most of the basics, what there is to do, etc. and a fan-made and supported wiki with all the strategies, trivia, deeper parts of game knowledge, drop lists, etc. and it worked out well. You always knew where to go for what kind of information.

I am currently playing another MMORPG that uses only a wiki, the developers helping very little or not at all to maintain it. It's informative, but it's impossible to just get basic information. As an example, I got an item for completing a quest once, and I had to go though 4 pages of reading to know if I wanted to keep it or not, and there is one page I have found...last updated 8 months ago, says it is out of date and requires cleanup, and no one on the talk page is willing to touch it because no one knows what anything on the page means.

Of course, ideally, once "in the world" there will be little need to go "out" for information anyway, but I do hope there is a split between developer and fan provided information, just due to the ease of getting what you want.

On that note, if anyone does start a CoS wiki, let me know. It'd be the first wiki I ever signed up for, but I'd try to learn how to do things so I could add to it...heck, it might be a good idea, since some people come asking the same questions that have already been answered, we could have all the information we have in a big database!

Anyway, long story short, my fingers are crossed that a CoS wiki exists with the blessings of the team, but with them maintaining information on the site while we maintain information on the wiki.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:43 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

I attempt to keep my posts short (and fail) for economy..
I have seen the knowledge base button in the main page, and if that is changed into an actual database in the future, i would be just as happy, but in all honesty i am under the impression it merely serves the purpose of pinpointing some core elements, be they lore or gameplay aspected, for the newcomer to acquaint himself with..
Hence my previous question towards the dev team : ))

Now as far as what you imply regarding effort and time expended from any team about any database, i would have to tell you that I can only name 2 AAA titles that took such an undertaking themselves, rather than passing the data along to a third party to do it. Both titles had a funding of 8-9 figures. Yes?

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:39 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Mattrellen wrote:
Max wrote:
Speaking of newspaper articles and launchers..
This is for future reference obviously, but if i may suggest we make a CoS wiki? Link to which (or perhaps to make it more interactive some form of comment regarding our latest wiki contributor) could appear somewhere within the launcher window?

Been thinking of this yesterday, suggesting a wiki when the time is proper..the more 'links' there are between in-game context and post-game/external internet activities or portals the better i think; merely consider how google algorythms function and you'll get my point..plus, you would have your patrons' work showcasing the game for you! Think it a cross-breed between EQ2 players page (we would make wiki accounts using in-game character names) and FFIV wiki.
And in a game this big, we could use a wiki, especially crafting-wise. Most players start searching for databases even before their game has finished downloading.
Any thoughts?

I just said something about this to my wife yesterday, with the update to the main page.

I noticed there is now a section known as the Knowledge Base, which I was very happy to see. I hate what seems to be a current trend of game makers to set up an "official wiki" and let the players do all the work of presenting all the information in the game, and what's worse is how out of date a wiki can get, due to players not caring about certain parts enough.

I'd rather see that Knowledge Base be the place players are sent for more information.

Not that I am against a wiki, mind you, but I think it should be something the community wants and makes, without need of those official connections, due to it being information that isn't always from the source.

I have played one MMORPG that had a good amount of information by the developer on the site, covering most of the basics, what there is to do, etc. and a fan-made and supported wiki with all the strategies, trivia, deeper parts of game knowledge, drop lists, etc. and it worked out well. You always knew where to go for what kind of information.

I am currently playing another MMORPG that uses only a wiki, the developers helping very little or not at all to maintain it. It's informative, but it's impossible to just get basic information. As an example, I got an item for completing a quest once, and I had to go though 4 pages of reading to know if I wanted to keep it or not, and there is one page I have found...last updated 8 months ago, says it is out of date and requires cleanup, and no one on the talk page is willing to touch it because no one knows what anything on the page means.

Of course, ideally, once "in the world" there will be little need to go "out" for information anyway, but I do hope there is a split between developer and fan provided information, just due to the ease of getting what you want.

On that note, if anyone does start a CoS wiki, let me know. It'd be the first wiki I ever signed up for, but I'd try to learn how to do things so I could add to it...heck, it might be a good idea, since some people come asking the same questions that have already been answered, we could have all the information we have in a big database!

Anyway, long story short, my fingers are crossed that a CoS wiki exists with the blessings of the team, but with them maintaining information on the site while we maintain information on the wiki.

Someone did make a CoS wiki. Its discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=240&hilit=wiki

Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:13 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Thank you, i would not have noticed, title of the post being "can't wait" :P

Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:44 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Yeah, I know. I remembered reading about it, but had to do a search to find the link. There's a lot of good information buried in posts with unusual names. :?

Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:39 pm 

Post seems to have goine way off topic , but as far as I am concerned. Wiki's are what ruin most games these days and seem to fit well with people who would rather use the content of others to progress in game.

A basic Wiki and nothing more is all I would like to see....

I would rather see a community communicating in game , as part of gameplay .....

I believe that the world size , and other features mean that as one example, mapping skills and detail in game don't just get posted on a web page making one really nice in game feature redundant.
Lets hope that key in game feature have to be played and developed while in game, not byu just using a reference site.

Look Down.....

Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:27 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

I would respectfully disagree, as mentionning of newspaper articles and giving a purpose to what little there will be of a wait time prior to logging seems to fall quite nicely in along a players/data page, if it could be somehow linked to those articles..a wiki/database page mind you, as i originaly enquired, made by the dev team, but updated by the players (ie endorsed, but not independent).

But leaving semantics behind..you have every reason to dislike, even refuse to participate or view it. But how would your personal preference also imply that they are 'bad' for the game? In a general, non-personal to you kind of way? Your remark on other people's content, the only one you make, does not apply for CoS..

For starters, people always find the need to contribute to activities they find endearing, usually by ways involving participating. Even better when such a will is turned towards fullfilling something that whether you like it or not, most people have come to expect from MMOs. And they do.
Asides from that, it is a way to attract attention to the game, when having the appropriate links and/or done with such a plan in mind. I mentioned google algorythms for a precise reason. The internet advance has allowed for a variety of ways with which you may advertise. In this case, not only would you be doing so with no charge whatsoever, but you would also be projecting a sense of a "community" to outsiders, who may or not have heard of the game :)

Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:06 am 
Fallen Hero

Jatar wrote:
When you initially enter the game you wait while we check and possibly update your client. While that is going on you may read the CoS daily newspaper, to see what is going on in the world today that is newsworthy. When that ends there is a button to enter the game.

Will there be a way to catch up on news stories for days we aren't able to play? For example, if I'm not able to log in for a week is there some kind of archive where I can find out what happened in the RWs while I was away?

Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:37 pm 

Max wrote:
I would respectfully disagree, as mentionning of newspaper articles and giving a purpose to what little there will be of a wait time prior to logging seems to fall quite nicely in along a players/data page, if it could be somehow linked to those articles..a wiki/database page mind you, as i originaly enquired, made by the dev team, but updated by the players (ie endorsed, but not independent).

But leaving semantics behind..you have every reason to dislike, even refuse to participate or view it. But how would your personal preference also imply that they are 'bad' for the game? In a general, non-personal to you kind of way? Your remark on other people's content, the only one you make, does not apply for CoS..

For starters, people always find the need to contribute to activities they find endearing, usually by ways involving participating. Even better when such a will is turned towards fullfilling something that whether you like it or not, most people have come to expect from MMOs. And they do.
Asides from that, it is a way to attract attention to the game, when having the appropriate links and/or done with such a plan in mind. I mentioned google algorythms for a precise reason. The internet advance has allowed for a variety of ways with which you may advertise. In this case, not only would you be doing so with no charge whatsoever, but you would also be projecting a sense of a "community" to outsiders, who may or not have heard of the game :)

Not sure what you are disagreeing with here , the newspaper element is a catch up of current world events nothing more , if thats part of the game and a really nice idea as discussed by Jatar above. (Part Of the Game)
If the developers deliver content and information via whatever method they see fit , I have no probblem with that either. (Part of the Game)

Spoilers are bad for any game , with respect to gameplay. I'd prefer people play the game that is a personal view and the only one I was trying to make.

The fact that choices are binding in this game (And unique to each player within reason) means that this should not be an issue and the game will flow. So in reality sites full of spoiler information are not going to be as relevant to this game and hopefuilly not needed.

Lots of gameplay elements , in game are about information gathering and knowledge building it will be a real shame if people feel the need to bypass core elements of the game.

I guess some people just want combat and nothing else, all my references here are with respect to CoS and the impact of an external Wiki . Just to be clear. With the Great Library and the Menagerie, ( And all the other locations we don't know of yet ), I hope that thses are the places people congregate to get their information "In game."

I don't want people to end up with a shallow experience because the feel an external webbsite is the only way forward, and the only way to win !!

Look Down.....

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:15 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

What i disagree with is your assuming your personal stance has universal an application. Either conserve the flow of the conversation to your personal tastes and viewpoints, or alternatively, direct it solely to commenting on how things stand for the majority of people (aka others). Objectively. Mixing the two can be diverting.

Wish you well :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Combat