CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Combat

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:49 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Am I the only one who feels like it's the job of the game designers to design a game so that as you're playing it, you have a pretty clear idea of where you should be going and what you should be doing?

The game should let you know how to equip yourself properly, give you tools that make equipment easy to understand, but complicated enough to really invest your time in.

The game should let you know about your abilities, and about other abilities, so that you can make well informed decisions about how to use them and how they might be useful to you.

The game should never make it so that you get something in your bags you don't know what to do with and you have to go to some outside website to look it up.

It should be designed so that if you want to know how to do something, like use the auction house, or interact with the merchants, that you can easily learn how to do it right in the game.

I know I'm not the only one who feels this way, because I work with a team of designers who think that if you're playing a game, you shouldn't have to have two monitors, or a laptop standing by, so you can do a quick search on how to beat a boss or how to best equip your character...

Now, I'm sure some players are going to want to make wiki's, try to min/max, and do everything they can to "figure it all out" - but rest assured, as Jatar stated, we're doing our darndest to make it so that when you're playing Citadel of Sorcery, you are PLAYING Citadel of Sorcery.

"Purging is at last at hand. Day of Doom is here. All that is evil, all their allies; your parents, your leaders, those who would call themselves your judges; those who have lied and corrupted the Earth, they shall all be cleansed." ~Thulsa Doom

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:56 pm 
Fallen Hero

Jatar, I'll make a suggestion.

Having that sort of library is obviously a method to keep that information in game without spoiling the fun for the players, making that idea and ideal to the player may not be easy.

If you have some sort of cinematic in game these can be easy, like introduction cinematic or End of Quest cinematic. Make the player at early lvl go to the library, by some sort of tutorial quest and show him around it, because the player can review his past videos he will fell compelled to that place, other stuff that can be available is unlocked ost. These could work as a form of propaganda, so the player wile listening to the ost, he could consult the extent library available to all players.

Showing that the library exist and the way you show it is fundamental, in my point of view. These is one idea out of many, but I rly hope you can manage to make the library a place of reference for the players, so they can gather information spoil free.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:22 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

@Dragon
I have a feeling that the Library figures into more than one of the first tier starter quests. Just a hunch that it's already been thought of.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:21 pm 
Fallen Hero

Wyndyn wrote:
@Dragon
I have a feeling that the Library figures into more than one of the first tier starter quests. Just a hunch that it's already been thought of.

Yes but even that may not be enough, there is an extensive tutorial for Assassins Creed but you spend 90% of the game doing counter strike right? (if not you should it's absurdly effective). Just becouse it is on the tutorial it does not mean players will follow to the idea.

Giving the players extra reasons to go there, like collectionable stuff that can be accessed there, print screans, osts, videos, etc, etc... Giving extra reasons is nice, its like hey I can spend some time cheeking the game wonderful music (something at the lvl of Kajiura Yuki or Nobuo Uematsu would be so sweet, keep dreaming) wile checking the info, or just checking the videos unlocked and "btw lets check some info about that place I wanna go".

It's just an idea, dunno what they have planed and what kind of resources they can spend on such "details" when so much has already been done in other parts.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:27 pm 

Dragonhand wrote:
Jatar, I'll make a suggestion.

Having that sort of library is obviously a method to keep that information in game without spoiling the fun for the players, making that idea and ideal to the player may not be easy.

If you have some sort of cinematic in game these can be easy, like introduction cinematic or End of Quest cinematic. Make the player at early lvl go to the library, by some sort of tutorial quest and show him around it, because the player can review his past videos he will fell compelled to that place, other stuff that can be available is unlocked ost. These could work as a form of propaganda, so the player wile listening to the ost, he could consult the extent library available to all players.

Showing that the library exist and the way you show it is fundamental, in my point of view. These is one idea out of many, but I rly hope you can manage to make the library a place of reference for the players, so they can gather information spoil free.

They have already said that they will have some clever in game features and that the Library provides a lot of the info. And as you learn certain skills and abilities you will improve knowledge.
I got the impression from some posts that they won't have vast ammounts of cinematics.

The ammount of thought they have put into most of the features I am hoping the same Dragon ...

Features like the LIbrary , Templated Builds if you want to follow them (sets of abilities that align to what we may call classes). Must involve some NPCs imparting info or even handing th odd book or two over. Mapping as wel will be an explorers dream , we can only hope.

Look Down.....

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:11 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Raevyn wrote:
Am I the only one who feels like it's the job of the game designers to design a game so that as you're playing it, you have a pretty clear idea of where you should be going and what you should be doing?

The game should let you know how to equip yourself properly, give you tools that make equipment easy to understand, but complicated enough to really invest your time in.

The game should let you know about your abilities, and about other abilities, so that you can make well informed decisions about how to use them and how they might be useful to you.

The game should never make it so that you get something in your bags you don't know what to do with and you have to go to some outside website to look it up.

It should be designed so that if you want to know how to do something, like use the auction house, or interact with the merchants, that you can easily learn how to do it right in the game.

I know I'm not the only one who feels this way, because I work with a team of designers who think that if you're playing a game, you shouldn't have to have two monitors, or a laptop standing by, so you can do a quick search on how to beat a boss or how to best equip your character...

Now, I'm sure some players are going to want to make wiki's, try to min/max, and do everything they can to "figure it all out" - but rest assured, as Jatar stated, we're doing our darndest to make it so that when you're playing Citadel of Sorcery, you are PLAYING Citadel of Sorcery.

It feels pointless to go into details on your post, simply because I couldn't agree more with the philosophy shown. Your post has made me a happy camper!

One thing I do wonder, with the thought of a newspaper.. will user generated articles be a thing you would consider?

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:14 pm 
Producer
Producer

The Library isn't just an optional place that replaces a Wiki.

It has major integration with many game elements. The Library is where the knowledge of the world is stored and people are able to access it.

The Library isn't fluff in CoS. You WILL be using it no matter how long they've been playing the game. The information isn't just static stats.. it's very much part of the game.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:22 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Morphael wrote:
The Library isn't just an optional place that replaces a Wiki.

It has major integration with many game elements. The Library is where the knowledge of the world is stored and people are able to access it.

The Library isn't fluff in CoS. You WILL be using it no matter how long they've been playing the game. The information isn't just static stats.. it's very much part of the game.

it sounds fascinating! I've read about the menagery and how you can do certain quests to aide in the expansion of it's knowledge base.. are there similar things for the library? I'd quite fancy a carreer as a researcher!

Sir Francis Bacon wrote:
Libraries are as the shrine where all the relics of the ancient saints, full of true virtue, and all that without delusion or imposture are preserved and reposed."

Post Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:56 pm 
Fallen Hero

You can do the research... and I'll be the one who blow up the stuff you find! :twisted: :lol:

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Post Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:20 pm 
Citadel Guardian

Mystic wrote:
You can do the research... and I'll be the one who blow up the stuff you find! :twisted: :lol:

Verdurens *sigh*...always wanting to do some mischief to make a human feel inferior. Hire a Waerian, I've heard they are excellent listeners and intelligent researchers as well in many cases.

(sarcasm cap on)

Not that I am a Waerian in any way...and I would NEVER say this to make my self seem superior to my fellow green tree hugger here.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Combat