CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Combat

Post Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 3:52 pm 

One thing I would like to see are varying modes of stance between Attack and Defence in combat positions available to all players which allow for the player to trade off attack and damage against defense and reduced damage.

If combat and enemies are to be a tactical battle and not a repeated 1 second kill fest then this would allow for critical strikes or damaging strikes to disable enemies, literally target their legs or weapon arm or weapon. This combined with stances could be very rewarding whilst introducing risk. This would also be nice because NPC Mobiles could go into defensive mode making it hard to attack. Switching these elements about would make for NPCs that are not 100% predictable and have nicely varied attack ranges.

on top of this Stances and targeting abilities all play nicely into skillsets people could improve and focus on to allow stances to proviode more attack and defense depending on how skilled you are. Anatomy skills to help with targeting Knowledge and the like.

Just something I would like to see that probably has been considered, just wondering if any of this is in game in the above or a similar form ?

Look Down.....

Post Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 5:01 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

i heard they tried this with another mmo, possibly age of conan? i never played it, im wondering how confusing/complicated it would be to do this though. I mean do we use one command/key for torso, one for left arm, etc.?

Post Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 7:03 pm 
Citadel Guardian

Elderscrolls did some form of this. Depending on how you were moving at the time you attacked would determining what form of attack you made. Moving in a straight line, back or forward, would produce a thrust attack, good for spears and such. Standing still would produce a chop attack, good for axes and the like. While strafing left and right would create a slash attack. Which is good for swords and other bladed weapons. All the weapons would work with any form, but each weapon produced greater results with their attack form. Spears did great damage with a trust but less than a quarter of the damage any other way, for example.

Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 6:37 am 

Lader wrote:
i heard they tried this with another mmo, possibly age of conan? i never played it, im wondering how confusing/complicated it would be to do this though. I mean do we use one command/key for torso, one for left arm, etc.?

Not that hard fi the combat is not overly fast and i believe it will be tactical.... (hope). Step back instead of swinging you click stance then attack..... Prefferably if you have just stunned someone. Likewise if you are being beat up and have to retreat you go defensive ... lets say 5 stances..... 0% aggressive 25% 50% 75% and 100%. It would also mean in groups if someone has the agro others can risk aggressive attacks..... at the expense of attack.

Simple concept but if done right can be interesting as NPCs of the same type would have different attack and defense ; so for example if you are hated by a certaing group they could be a lot more aggtressive and lethal.....

Look Down.....

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:58 am 
Citadel Recruit

Did Warhammer do something like this??

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:13 am 
Producer
Producer

I played a MUD many years ago that used targeting of body parts with the ability to chop them off. It was a fun concept, but in reality everyone focused on head/torso because it would kill things faster.

A lot of things look good on paper but end up poor in actual game play. For example, we could let you chop at someone's arm but to what end? To cut it off? It would be faster to kill or subdue someone than to cut off their arm simply because we let you.

Also what happens to all of that equipment you had on your arm? Would you be okay if an NPC cut off an arm and you lost all of it? What about losing a leg, where you'd be helpless to get back to town?

I've seen stances in other games such as Horizons and Anarchy Online. Horizons had actual stances you could switch to, which was okay for their system but most people just stayed in the Aggressive/DPS stance. Anarchy Online had a slider that was Defensive to Aggressive where you could set it yourself and it would affect things like dodge and attack speed.

While some of these are fun to play with, they add a lot of micro-management to combat. We haven't released details on our combat system yet but it will already be complex. You will have to think and use tactics in our combat system, so adding in more artificial micro-management would probably make combat too overwhelming for most people. We already have design elements that will cover some things discussed here but I can't talk about them yet (I'd get flogged).

Keep the discussion going, we like to see different ideas from the community!

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:50 pm 

Morphael wrote:
I played a MUD many years ago that used targeting of body parts with the ability to chop them off. It was a fun concept, but in reality everyone focused on head/torso because it would kill things faster.

A lot of things look good on paper but end up poor in actual game play. For example, we could let you chop at someone's arm but to what end? To cut it off? It would be faster to kill or subdue someone than to cut off their arm simply because we let you.

Also what happens to all of that equipment you had on your arm? Would you be okay if an NPC cut off an arm and you lost all of it? What about losing a leg, where you'd be helpless to get back to town?

I've seen stances in other games such as Horizons and Anarchy Online. Horizons had actual stances you could switch to, which was okay for their system but most people just stayed in the Aggressive/DPS stance. Anarchy Online had a slider that was Defensive to Aggressive where you could set it yourself and it would affect things like dodge and attack speed.

While some of these are fun to play with, they add a lot of micro-management to combat. We haven't released details on our combat system yet but it will already be complex. You will have to think and use tactics in our combat system, so adding in more artificial micro-management would probably make combat too overwhelming for most people. We already have design elements that will cover some things discussed here but I can't talk about them yet (I'd get flogged).

Keep the discussion going, we like to see different ideas from the community!

As long as tactics are in then i don't really mind what you do ; If your system is alrady complex to take any more then i have no need to suggest ; what you have will be complex enough. As far as targeted parts go it was more of a damage and reduced efficiency not limb removal.

I have always been a fan of vitality with the last 20% of it being the critical area where you actally start to take wounds and damage beyond a beating....

As long as it isn't whack a mole ....... :)

Look Down.....

Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:52 am 
Citadel Guardian

Lader wrote:

I know ShadowBane had combat stances that affected your damage/defense. Normal,Offensive,Defensive,Precise stances all had their pluses and minuses depending on your type of character.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:25 pm 
Fallen Hero

While I like that CoS is striving for a higher level of detail I'm not sure how I feel about that being applied to create specific injuries and wounds. If a character, for example, lost the use of a hand or foot, wouldn't it make sense to try to get killed as quickly as possible to respawn with a new, and presumably, intact body?

Though it's considerably less realistic, applying short term effects might be a way to place shots that would be tactical and fun. Head shots could give a stun effect, legs could slow a target and arms might temporarily disarm a target.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:14 pm 
Citadel Guardian

Neverest wrote:
While I like that CoS is striving for a higher level of detail I'm not sure how I feel about that being applied to create specific injuries and wounds. If a character, for example, lost the use of a hand or foot, wouldn't it make sense to try to get killed as quickly as possible to respawn with a new, and presumably, intact body?

Though it's considerably less realistic, applying short term effects might be a way to place shots that would be tactical and fun. Head shots could give a stun effect, legs could slow a target and arms might temporarily disarm a target.

Good point. It would really be tough to have a developed character and have him/her lose a hand or foot and potentially, for the lack of a better term, "gimp" a character.

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Combat