CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Combat

Post Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:43 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

So, for those who don't know the term stat sticks, let me elaborate before I pose my question. A stat stick is a weapon for a mage, that isn't really used. There are loads and loads of games that feature mages, and a mage's biggest friend is his staff (Wyndyn, no. Not that kind.) yet in most fantasy games, and especially so in MMO's a mage just ties a staff (or wand, or both) to his or her back and leaves it there.. forever.

Now, before I continue.. it is my understanding that superstition will touch on magic in Citadel of Sorcery.. but humour me either way.

Now what I understand from the fantasy books and stories I've read or experienced is that a mage's staff is a channeling tool and the source of magical output for a mage. In other words, sure mages can cast with their hands, or fingers if they want.. but if they channel their energies through a staff the energies become amplified and pack a wilder punch.

What are your thoughts on stat stick vs channeling tool?

Post Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:58 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Liefde wrote:
So, for those who don't know the term stat sticks, let me elaborate before I pose my question. A stat stick is a weapon for a mage, that isn't really used. There are loads and loads of games that feature mages, and a mage's biggest friend is his staff (Wyndyn, no. Not that kind.) yet in most fantasy games, and especially so in MMO's a mage just ties a staff (or wand, or both) to his or her back and leaves it there.. forever.

Now, before I continue.. it is my understanding that superstition will touch on magic in Citadel of Sorcery.. but humour me either way.

Now what I understand from the fantasy books and stories I've read or experienced is that a mage's staff is a channeling tool and the source of magical output for a mage. In other words, sure mages can cast with their hands, or fingers if they want.. but if they channel their energies through a staff the energies become amplified and pack a wilder punch.

We'll go into more of this soon, but in the new Rewards being offered in our Crowd Funding (starting tomorrow) you will notice things called Locus Items.

A Locus Item is exactly that you are talking about, something that channels your Ability into something greater. However, we are extending this beyond a Mage, to all Abilities in CoS. For a member of the Heroes League, a Sword, Axe, Knife, etc. is a Locus Item. Sure, you can hit someone with your fist, but most of the time that's not going to do much damage compared to stabbing them with your sword.

As for a Mage, there are several choices of Locus items, but each one must be equipped to do you any good (not just in your backpack).

Each of the Five Leagues have Locus Objects, and there are some that work for multiple Leagues. That's as far as I'm willing to go today :)

Post Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:59 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Liefde wrote:

OK, first .... DANG! You cut me off before I could ... whatever!

That taken care of, my other first ... A stat stick, or stat sword or stat boots all make about the same sense ... some, as long as they confer the bonus that might be appropriate for the item they enhance. Boots might be speed or jump, armor or pants ... strength maybe, a crown or helm .. intelligence or wisdom? I don't agree with staff or wand for a stat, I do agree with it to enhance channeling (unless you consider channeling as a stat)
Carried items might also confer an aura granted by the item to do certain things (attack modifier, defense modifier, etc.) without actually modifying a stat.
An item not used as intended, weapon in a sheath, sword or staff slung on your back, an item in a pocket, should not confer any bonuses.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:58 pm 
Fallen Hero

I totally Agree

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Post Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:22 pm 
Citadel Guardian

As for as staff and wonds go I like the channelling idea better. Makes you more like Gandolf. Now there's a wizard.

As for armor I think it should only raise your armor lvl. A weapon should only increase damage.
Jewelery should manage your regens health, mana, stamina if you have that stat. Maybe elemental proctions as well. But the only way to increase stats would be to either lvl, spends xp, and/or maybe spell buffs. I don't think should at all raise run stats like str agility ect... Make it old school. If you do have them raise stats make them appropriate to the piece of armor like Wyndyn was saying. Boots raise speed/jump, gloves raise str, chest piece health or constitution, leggings agility i guess. Helm intel,wisdom,charisma.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:28 am 

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:
As for as staff and wonds go I like the channelling idea better. Makes you more like Gandolf. Now there's a wizard.

As for armor I think it should only raise your armor lvl. A weapon should only increase damage.
Jewelery should manage your regens health, mana, stamina if you have that stat. Maybe elemental proctions as well. But the only way to increase stats would be to either lvl, spends xp, and/or maybe spell buffs. I don't think should at all raise run stats like str agility ect... Make it old school. If you do have them raise stats make them appropriate to the piece of armor like Wyndyn was saying. Boots raise speed/jump, gloves raise str, chest piece health or constitution, leggings agility i guess. Helm intel,wisdom,charisma.

One of the Interesting concepts in CoS is Item development , and as has been disucssed these consist of locus/focus (hand held weapons/items, mentioned in the kickstarter campaign rewards) to allow for the chanelling and empowerment of different league abilities. As well as most equipment items being able to be developed to their potential through questing and improvement. Also note that one of the key NPC shop functions is to convert and modify items to suit class/race or cosmetic view so items can be moulded and developed as people see fit. The only catch is time and effort, dod you really want to sell that item you have fought and quested to develop or use it to survive.

I think you will be getting a good a good ammount of variation and it will feel Old School but with a good dollop of the Uniqueness that CoS system will bring. The parts of this system that are interesting is that as you find more and more items with greater and greater potential you can move on develop and upgrade what you have.

The key element here is that questing and playing the game will give access to places and locations that allow for the upgrade and improvement of items, so weather it is defence , attack , resistances , stats or whatever as long as everyone has choice to me it doesn't really bother me what you can do.

One thing you will notice about most of the systems that have been discussed in the forumns is that they are all developed with a good dose of common sense.

i.e Oh look at the Rabbit it just dropped a longsword; Whereas the sensible approach would be oh look at the Rabbits lair and the pile of corpses , did something gleam over there .... !!!!

Look Down.....

Post Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:22 am 
Patron Herald
Patron Herald

Liefde wrote:

For me the channeling tool is the most logical approach.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:01 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

KanedaSyndrome wrote:
Liefde wrote:

For me the channeling tool is the most logical approach.

And it is our approach. We call them 'Locus' items. These are needed to do pretty much anything, but we extend this far beyond magic. We look at a wand as a tool that enables you, just like a sword enables a melee attack, or a bow a ranged attack. These are all Locus items in our world. You can still do things without them, like cast a spell without a wand, or do conjury without an Idol, or psionics without an orb, or hit someone without a sword, or throw a rock at them without a sling, but in all of these cases, the effect is much reduced.

We wanted equality (as much as possible) across the Leagues of Knowledge, and so, all Leagues use Locus items.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:36 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

I can't think of very many if any games that feature a mage as using a staff as if he was a monk. It takes get dedication getting your muscles to the point of being able to swing a weapon as naturally awkward as staff properly. Wizards spend their time studying different kinds of magics and stuff. It makes more sense that they would imbue their weapon with a spell before a battle, and use the staff later to fire it with a greatly shortened cast timer or something.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:49 pm 
Fallen Hero

But you cant rely solely on magic. Even Gandolf had a blade.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Combat