CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Combat

Post Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:45 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Hello again CoS developers! I have another question. Again, sorry if something like this has already been asked. I was wondering if a wide variety of weapon types will be available to us in are adventures?

In most mmos and single player fantasy RPGs, the norm is swords, axes, daggers, hammers, and bows. While this is great for players who prefer those types of weapons, it isn't that great for players who have another preferred weapon type. It's like just because not as many people use less popular weapons such as polearms for example, they should just not be included. Some MMOs do include other weapon types, but usually they only have very few types of that weapon, while the game has hundreds of different kinds of swords, axes, or other "mainstream?" weapons.

People have different kinds of weapons they will enjoy using, and it just adds more variety to the game and lets people play the character just as they imagined. Thank you for any answers:)

Post Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:22 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

I think staves will also be present, but to be fair, aside from polearms (which can cause issues, since there's a longrange melee weapon, this can cause potential balancing issues for classes imo), there aren't that many medieval weapons to be added. Unless you add asian weapons.

I think the only weapons usually missing from medieval style in game are flail, halbards, polearms and crossbows. Spears (or various element of that family) are sometimes present, although far from being the most efficient weapons in a game, or the most enjoyable, since they can only be used once, then they need to be recovered.

I recon most of those weapons are missing, due to balancing issues. A halbard, on a self healing heavy armor wield can probably cut thru entire legions of enemies around him, due to the range and damage those did.

Flails, if memory serves, are usually reserved for mounted combat, and it is a very slow weapon, on the ground, most people can just dodge it, and it ends up unbalancing the attacker. Although I could be wrong on that.

Polearms are usually present as a defense against mounted attacks, but aside from their use in martial arts movies, they are not really supposed to be a melee weapon per say. They are intended to be used in formations, and not by a single person. Only a few armies used them as offensive, middly effectively.

I believe it was Aion that had spears as possible weapons, and honstely, as beautiful as the game was , the spears/polearms looked completly ridiculous in a fight. There's no way to use those logically, and have animations fitting, because the fighting style only exists in martial arts movies, where they are used as long swords or quarterstaff, rather than actual polearms.

Here's an example of what a polearm fight looks like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eT6kUUh6WdI As skillful as the wielder is, you can see that if you manage to get close, the fight is over. While the idea of not being able to get close is nice in a way, do you really want to one shot everyone, or die? Or have mobs/people waiting on front of you for 24hours before trying to land a blow? :)

Post Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:44 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

A lot of MMOs have polearms squishy: Wow, ffxi/xiv, eq2, DDO, tera, gw, vanguard, Hell I can't think of any MMOs I have played that do not have the ability to equip a polearm. I could list a ton of ftp MMOs like wakfu or lunia as well but I don't really count those.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:06 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Oh, I did not notice the polrarms in those when I played them. I did not play eq/eq2 or ddo though. What were the animations like for those? Swords like?

Post Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:21 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Smolgen wrote:
Hello again CoS developers! I have another question. Again, sorry if something like this has already been asked. I was wondering if a wide variety of weapon types will be available to us in are adventures?

In most mmos and single player fantasy RPGs, the norm is swords, axes, daggers, hammers, and bows. While this is great for players who prefer those types of weapons, it isn't that great for players who have another preferred weapon type. It's like just because not as many people use less popular weapons such as polearms for example, they should just not be included. Some MMOs do include other weapon types, but usually they only have very few types of that weapon, while the game has hundreds of different kinds of swords, axes, or other "mainstream?" weapons.

People have different kinds of weapons they will enjoy using, and it just adds more variety to the game and lets people play the character just as they imagined. Thank you for any answers:)

We plan a WIDE variety of weapons, and all of them will be equally useful, not just swords and such. We are even creating special versions of weapons for each of the playable races.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:14 am 
Hero of the Citadel

Wont be a bit surprised if we start using a new variety of weapons...
Looks like there's gonna be the kinda weapons we have never seen or used afore also....

Post Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:18 pm 
Citadel Recruit

To above posts about polearms/spears: generally, polearms/spears are classified as melee weapons, not ranged. That fixes the balancing issues.

('sides, polearms historically are overrated to begin with. I've no problem disarming anyone with a polearm.)

Jatar wrote:
We plan a WIDE variety of weapons, and all of them will be equally useful, not just swords and such. We are even creating special versions of weapons for each of the playable races.

Since this is being brought up, I'd actually like to know about a few specific weapon types myself: Greatscythes & Chainwhips. Only one MMO has even provided either of those weapon types (Greatscythe, also known as 2hd Scythe to many), and the other is far rarer (obviously).

Yes, they are my favorite weapon types (only 'normal' weapons I like are Battle Axes, Gswords, & Staves) as both are wielded by the greater beings of death (Azrael, Samael, & Lilith).

Post Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:22 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Cydramech wrote:
To above posts about polearms/spears: generally, polearms/spears are classified as melee weapons, not ranged. That fixes the balancing issues.

Yes, polearms and spears are melee weapons, however polearms and long spears have the advantage/disadvantage of being "reach" weapons used to reach opponents before they close in. Reach weapons are much less advantageous (usually a hindrance) in closed melee. Once the opponent gets past the swing/poke range of the polearm all that can be done is use it as a clumsy quarterstaff. (clumsy because of the weighted end and long length)
I have never seen a game portray polearms accurately.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:02 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Wyndyn wrote:
Cydramech wrote:

Yes, polearms and spears are melee weapons, however polearms and long spears have the advantage/disadvantage of being "reach" weapons used to reach opponents before they close in. Reach weapons are much less advantageous (usually a hindrance) in closed melee. Once the opponent gets past the swing/poke range of the polearm all that can be done is use it as a clumsy quarterstaff. (clumsy because of the weighted end and long length)
I have never seen a game portray polearms accurately.

Probably for the same reasons scythe are never portreyed properly(not talking about kama as those are actual weapons). If you were to add in practicality hinderances noone would want to use a polearm in a game as they would be boring as all you really do is sit and wait until the right moment.

Two handed scythe have the combat potential of a really improperly balanced polearm that can only be used to stab someone from the side which would be a slow easy to read sortable swing. Or you hit them with the blunt side of the head of head using the weight of the metal to increase the damage.

The inaccuracies let you have the same advantages as a sword which mean you can't have the tiny advantages of the polearms.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:21 pm 
Citadel Recruit

Hell, greatswords and battle axes are largely improperly depicted as well.

Despite their reputation, the Claymore (the real world equivalent to any typical greatsword) can easily be dual wielded by any decent swordsman, and same is true of any 2hd axe. I would know, I've done exactly that with ease in battle.

Which it wouldn't stop you from being shot with a bullet so there's another point to balancing. (Anyone thinking bringing a knife to a gun fight is a good idea only has a death wish.)

d(^.~)b

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Combat