CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Combat

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:21 pm 
Fallen Hero

What will we be doing in those minutes? Is it just like an animation that plays or something else?

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Post Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:42 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Like I said, you won't be doing that kind of major change often. Most changes, like a weapon, shield, bow, or even a helm only take a few seconds. However, in the rare cases where you switch complete armor sets you can do other things like various maintenence tasks with your inventory, add things to your journal, read up on the world in your Citadel newspaper, chat with other players and other things that do not involve moving or fighting, either of which will cancel your equipment change.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:09 pm 
Fallen Hero

Okay. If you are attacked in the middle do you have half your equipment from one set and half from the other or just the first set completely?

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Post Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:19 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

I'd love to do that, but we'll have to see how practical it is. If not, we will likely revert you to your previous set. Since this system is not yet in the game, we will have to wait and see how it turns out.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:26 am 
Hero of the Citadel

wont be appropriate to wear a plate armor as a chest piece and nothing below, will happen if i am changing from mage robe into plate armor...

Post Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:35 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Akumawraith wrote:
I dunno, I personally own two swords as well as fire arms and can equip them all. Long sword over my right shoulder, Fluer de lis on left hip, holster on right hip. Its not hard to switch sword to left hand or dual wield and plant a sword and draw pistol. Its actually pretty easy to do. I dont know why it would seem unrealistic?

Even Harrison Ford in Indiana Jones used a pistol when he had a whip out. back up weapons are actually pretty common throughout history even in sword duels a dagger or dirk wasnt odd to see.

You seem to have conveniently missed the part in which I mention having different holsters for different types of weapons. As well the part where I mention the unrealistic portion being how your weapons disappear from view completely. (think Runescape for a prime example). When you have a thigh holster for a dagger, a double holster on your back for two short swords, something at your waist on both sides for a full length sword, etc. you can actively carry many different weapons. However, it's hard to carry multiple types of the exact same weapon because holsters will interfere with each other and after say two, you might start having some issues just equipping the holsters.

I believe I did mention a part about dropping a sword, (or placing blade first into the ground) for temporary storage, say if you didn't have a sheath for it, but that would perhaps just be an extreme example of the point I was trying to make.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:32 pm 
Fallen Hero

Could I stab my blade into the ground for storage? I mean, say I'm preparing for an ambush. I have 3 weapons I like to use, but can only holster 2 of them. Let's say a great sword, daggers, and hand crossbows. Could I stab my great sword into the ground for the combat and have access to all 3?

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Post Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:10 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

perhaps if you feel like you can fight an entire battle while not moving your feet at all, and risk someone else grabbing it out of the ground, then go for it. But I did also state it was an extreme example to help clarify a point I was trying to make.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:52 pm 

i dont think we will be able to place weapons in a location other than our hands, inventory, or vendor/auction. It would be a pretty challenging programming event to pull off something like what is mentioned, placing weapons out so you can prepare ahead of time. I dont think its feasible if we want the game done in the next 10 years.

Setting up an ambush will be something we will be able to do and when its time for us to know how that event will take place The developers will have a briefing or webcast about it. Combat is something we are all wondering about. We have some information on it already but not enough details to the degree being asked.

Some things must remain secret for good reason:)

Post Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:24 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

What Akumawraith says is true. As for changing weapons and such, our system is unique in that we allow you to switch from any configuration of equipment to any other, and before you make that switch, we always tell you how long it would take to do that. Example, you are shooting at distant monsters with a bow, and they are coming toward you at a gallop. You can select a sword to switch to for when they get to melee range, but you have not yet drawn it, you are still shooting arrows. But now you can look and see that it will take four seconds to put away your bow and draw your sword. This helps you judge when to make the switch so that you have enough time.

You could also decide to switch from light armor to heavy armor because you are about to face some massive monsters who do a lot of crush damage, but don't move too fast. Before facing them you can check to see how long it will take to make that switch. If it says three minutes, then you will need to find a safe place to make this extensive change in gear. While you are changing, there is plenty you can do with the time, since we allow you full access to your Player U.I. while doing any change in equipment.

You can look at your map and plan strategy, or boost your magic levels (we'll talk about that later) or place Study Tokens into Abilities, or Stat points into Stats, you can look up what's going on in the world, talk to other players, view auctions, etc. Lots of things to do.

What this does in the game is add strategy. When things like taking time to change armor takes time, you have to make plans, or you can get caught with your pants down, literally. It makes you consider where to cross major rivers, like finding a boat, or bridge. It makes you plan when running from monsters, so that you don't get caught by a river or lake. During battle it takes more planning to make sure you have the right weapon at the right time.

This isn't a negative, it is quite the opposite. Everything in a game that makes you think, and make decisions to achieve better results adds to the game play and fun. This is just another system in CoS that does that for you, adding to the fun.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Combat