CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Combat

Post subject: AI Performance in Combat
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:38 am 
Citadel Guardian

How is the NPC enemy AI going to perform in CoS's combat? Is it going to be executing its own intelligent strategies, reacting to and learning from the player, and/or simply unpredictable? Will it do things like heal itself, change its position relative to the player, and call for help, if needed?

Will there be difficulty settings for each player?

I, personally, am tired of dumb monsters which just stand around in trances, hit with nerf bats, and have one-dimensional cycles of attacks that are nonreactive to player actions.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:23 am 
Hero of the Citadel

It will adapt itself to your movements and attack you based on the weakness you may show. You will also need to have a strategy to kill the enemies. Headlong rushes into the enemies location will get you killed, mayb instantly or maybe after torture...

Post Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:56 am 

NPC's will work in groups and use both single, and group tactics on you. They do learn from you and use terrain to their advantage too. There is so much more than just combat though. Stealth and deceit, sabotage and traps etc. Everything you can do, NPC's can do too.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:27 pm 
Citadel Guardian

Okay, is there any chance that we can get some gameplay demo videos which illustrate what is being said here? It's like people are trying to be specific, without being specific. And that's not really giving me the answers which I am seeking, at least in reassuring me that this game is for me.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:41 pm 
Fallen Hero

I know right. I don't really doubt them... but I kinda want to see the combat inaction. Even if it's low res, laggy, and clunky right now, I just want to see how it's really going to work out.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Post Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:03 am 

The Ai was meant to be a later thing to bring in, although the demo will be showing off a few examples of AI to publishers. Maybe when one is landed, it will be released. Who knows?

Post Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:25 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

You are assuming that this is a fully functional game, which it is not. The reasons we don't show certain things is because they are not working yet. This is still a pre Alpha game. I've addressed this in several other posts, but the crux of it is simply that in man hours this game is early in development. We have concentrated on the development of the most risky elements, and left systems that everyone has seen before for later, when we have a larger team. You want videos, and we understand that, but it's like asking for a preview of Ironman 12, it's so far off that it doesn't exist yet.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:48 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Look at it another way, recently Blizzard canceled Titan. They worked for several years on it with a team of hundreds. How many videos have you seen of Titans combat?

Now, let's do some math, if they only worked on it for three years, and had 500 people on it, they would have spent the equivalent of 1500 years of a single person working.

Now say if we have a team of 30, working for 10 years, which means we have spent 300 years of a single person's time, or 1/5th of the time spent on Titan. So if they were three years into development, still without showing much to the public, we are only the equivalent of about six months into development of CoS.

It's all about man hours. What we have built in six months of a full time team, is actually amazing. We can't wait to show it to publishers so we can get to a full size dev team, as CoS deserves.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:07 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

I am hoping that we are talking about something more like Iron Man 6 or 7.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:21 am 
Hero of the Citadel

Always assume it will take twice the time which has been specified, and if no time gets specified assume it will get released on tomorrow's world, thou tomorrow means after infinite...

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Combat