CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Roleplaying

Post Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:54 pm 
Citadel Guardian

So, exactly what game features will CoS offer for roleplayers?

• For instance, will it offer a Character Bio sheet, which could be accessed by clicking on a player's avatar and scrolling down to its link?

• Will it offer custom options for hair styles, hair colors, facial expressions, bodily mannerisms, verbal taunts, and so on? Can you show and select your mood as a listed item? Will one's avatar be dynamic and reactive (think Doomguy's face in Classic Doom)?

• How robust will the emote selection be? And in terms of expression visually and by text? Is it possible to make custom emotes?

• Will it offer custom tailoring options for the clothes of one's character, or offer simpler wardrobe options to cover over default gear?

• How much will one's character interact with its environment? Will it experience hunger and tiredness in any way? Will it react to weather conditions? Will it experience development relative to moral choices, the use of different magics, and so on? How?

• In battle, will your character display its injuries visually and in bodily behavior? How?

Gosh, I could go on and on with these questions ... :lol:

Post Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:17 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

i don't think we will have Character Bio sheets as that would be out of character for your fallen hero in my opinion

Post Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:14 pm 

Lunging Wolf wrote:
So, exactly what game features will CoS offer for roleplayers?

• For instance, will it offer a Character Bio sheet, which could be accessed by clicking on a player's avatar and scrolling down to its link?

I doubt there sill be bio sheets as your character has just been resurrected without any knowledge of its previous life.

• Will it offer custom options for hair styles, hair colors, facial expressions, bodily mannerisms, verbal taunts, and so on? Can you show and select your mood as a listed item? Will one's avatar be dynamic and reactive (think Doomguy's face in Classic Doom)?

Character customization has been hinted at and discussed, there will be a system in place that should appease most players. however as there are very different races involved having too much could be over kill.

• How robust will the emote selection be? And in terms of expression visually and by text? Is it possible to make custom emotes?

Im sure emotes is something that will be available as in most games, however it has not been something high on the conversation list so look forward to them when the game releases :)

• Will it offer custom tailoring options for the clothes of one's character, or offer simpler wardrobe options to cover over default gear?

Characters will more than likely start off with the same outfits, however it shouldnt be long before your character looks different from everyone else.

• How much will one's character interact with its environment? Will it experience hunger and tiredness in any way? Will it react to weather conditions? Will it experience development relative to moral choices, the use of different magics, and so on? How?

No Characters will not get hungry or thirsty, these are not important or highly demanded aspects of games so I doubt any developer would put much effort into such things. as far as weather there may be effects but we will have to see what the developers decide on how realistic they want the characters to be. There will be Mocap studio systems used so the devs could push the effects as far as they wanted.

• In battle, will your character display its injuries visually and in bodily behavior? How?

Burn to a crisp or well done? your character will more than likely get wounded, as with the previous answer it all depends on how dark the devs want to be or in a better term what ESRB rating they want lol

Gosh, I could go on and on with these questions ... :lol:

The level of information about characters has been limited as MMOMagic wants to keep many things a secret for surprising us players and preventing others from stealing the ideas. Personally Im all about the game play and not really caring about the level of vanity stuff our characters can do.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:52 pm 
Hero of the Citadel

Well me will be glad to make my character sit and eat or hit the bed if me is about to go afk for a while...

Post Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:58 am 

Just think, go to the Roman baths and sit down in the pools.. Log out...

When you log back in you'll be playing a raisin :p

Post Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:48 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

where's the like button? I want to play a raisin

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:05 pm 
Citadel Recruit

One thing i REALLY liked from ffxiv was that you could choose your character's stance when you stopped moving. That was probably the only thing that really impressed me. Apart from ffxiv, the only other mmo i've seen doing this was Champions online and, honestly, in a mediocre way. In ffxiv, seeing my character with her elbows raised and hands behind her neck really gave her that smug anime character feel. I never felt so much personality in one of my characters before, even though i played many mmo's. That lvl 1 ffxiv character's animation brought more personality to my character than any amount of armor dyeing and gear options ever did. That being said, i never roleplayed, nor do i intend to, but that simple system of maybe four or five stances was probably the most surprising feature i've seen in an mmo (not joking). After playing ffxiv, i definitely feel that character animation is, if not the most important, at least equal in importance to gear customization when it comes to giving uniqueness to your character. While gear options and colors gives you the looks, animation gives you the personality. Albeit a simple system in ffxiv, it got me wondering how awesome it would be if an mmo gave you an extensive amount of options. Customizable walking styles, standing stances and maybe even attack patterns. That alone can make an mmo stand out from all others. While emotes are mere ephemeral 5sec displays of the character's personality, positions and stances are constant expression of your character's mental state. I'd love to be able to leave my character squatting, while making him wear the trendiest adida's clothing.

Vanish, and He'll make you shine like the sun.

Fall, and He'll raise you to the heavens.

Become nothing, and He'll turn you into everything."

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:54 pm 

I'm not sure about stances, but I know having a large as possible customisation is important to the CoS team. About your point of emotes usually being mere 5s nothings, in CoS, emotes actually impact the world. Flipping off a king or charging towards him with your weapon held high... may not go down too well with his guards. Keeping in mind, we're talking hundreds of useful emotes, like signalling, disrespecting or formal etiquette etc. that will effect how people view and react to you.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:52 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Yes, you can choose your stance. One of the goals of CoS is to make character emotes more than just minor entertainment. We plan to give you a lot more control of your character (and this includes emote stances). However, it goes further than that. You can point, and NPCs know you are pointing at something. You can bid at an auction by waving your hand. If you play dead, you might fool the monster coming to kill you. There are more examples of this, but this will suffice to give you the idea.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:10 am 
Citadel Recruit

Nice. If by emote stance you meant what i said about a constant body position and not just facial expression, then props to you, devs.

Vanish, and He'll make you shine like the sun.

Fall, and He'll raise you to the heavens.

Become nothing, and He'll turn you into everything."

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Roleplaying