CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Crafting

Post Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:57 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

First off hi to everyone here. I’m a bit of lurker on forums and rarely post but I really would like more information on the crafting side of things.

When you buy a guild house, small house or a shop, will they be pre-decorated and furnished or can you do this yourself?

If you can furnish yourself is it possible to craft the items and also sell them in your shop?

I have read that for making items better sometimes this would involve going on an epic quest to do so. Would this quest be limited to improving one item or could I take 10 items with me and do them all?

If it is only one item then this would take forever to get anything like a reasonable size stock in my shop. Could I have some clarification on what type of items we can craft besides armor and weapons?

I absolutely loved the crafting side of things in eq2 and managed to make 40gold in the first 2 weeks of launch from just crafting. ( had to buy a ledger IRL just to keep track of all the orders I was being asked for by other players) unfortunately the questing and combat were so dull I ended up quitting the game.

live and die on this day

Post Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:34 am 

calith wrote:
First off hi to everyone here. I’m a bit of lurker on forums and rarely post but I really would like more information on the crafting side of things.

When you buy a guild house, small house or a shop, will they be pre-decorated and furnished or can you do this yourself?

If you can furnish yourself is it possible to craft the items and also sell them in your shop?

I have read that for making items better sometimes this would involve going on an epic quest to do so. Would this quest be limited to improving one item or could I take 10 items with me and do them all?

If it is only one item then this would take forever to get anything like a reasonable size stock in my shop. Could I have some clarification on what type of items we can craft besides armor and weapons?

I absolutely loved the crafting side of things in eq2 and managed to make 40gold in the first 2 weeks of launch from just crafting. ( had to buy a ledger IRL just to keep track of all the orders I was being asked for by other players) unfortunately the questing and combat were so dull I ended up quitting the game.

You may get a reply from the developers , but I will just add a few thoughts. The whole idea of the game is that you are a Fallen Hero, the crafting they have discussed is around enhancing items you use to survive.
You only need one weapon, one set of armor one set of rings ... I think that some locations are magical and can be used to add elemental bonuses to items i've seen that mentioned Items also have potential.

But I think the idea of a powerful item is that its potential has a lot of time and effort invested into it. Now if people can make hundreds of the same item production line wise well then the items are no longer special and people are missing out on a key part of the game.

I guess the idea is that some shards and items that can be used to enhance will be traded, but I am pretty sure location counts and it souldnt surprise me if you add an element under a full moon the results may be better.

These items will be treasures and I for one will not be donating a priceless artifact to anyone but my closest fallen Heroes.

I think the game is structuresd so no one can own the Economy but you can own a shop and sell trinkets. As for furniture I am assuming there will be NPC Furniture Shops + rewards. You can only Craft furniture if you can wear it or use it as a weapon. :)

Look Down.....

Post Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:20 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

yea that's kinda the impression that I am getting which means that owning a shop would be pretty redundant as you wouldn't have much to sell in it. That's why i was asking about other stuff you could craft. If you only have 1-2 items to sell them people are just gonna use the chat channel to sell stuff or just trade between guild mates.
hopefully a dev can answer :)

live and die on this day

Post Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:14 pm 

calith wrote:
yea that's kinda the impression that I am getting which means that owning a shop would be pretty redundant as you wouldn't have much to sell in it. That's why i was asking about other stuff you could craft. If you only have 1-2 items to sell them people are just gonna use the chat channel to sell stuff or just trade between guild mates.
hopefully a dev can answer :)

Well a bit of reverse logic, there must be lots to sell else people would not need to have shops. :)

Look Down.....

Post Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:33 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Isane wrote:
calith wrote:

You may get a reply from the developers , but I will just add a few thoughts. The whole idea of the game is that you are a Fallen Hero, the crafting they have discussed is around enhancing items you use to survive.
You only need one weapon, one set of armor one set of rings ... I think that some locations are magical and can be used to add elemental bonuses to items i've seen that mentioned Items also have potential.

But I think the idea of a powerful item is that its potential has a lot of time and effort invested into it. Now if people can make hundreds of the same item production line wise well then the items are no longer special and people are missing out on a key part of the game.

I guess the idea is that some shards and items that can be used to enhance will be traded, but I am pretty sure location counts and it souldnt surprise me if you add an element under a full moon the results may be better.

These items will be treasures and I for one will not be donating a priceless artifact to anyone but my closest fallen Heroes.

I think the game is structuresd so no one can own the Economy but you can own a shop and sell trinkets. As for furniture I am assuming there will be NPC Furniture Shops + rewards. You can only Craft furniture if you can wear it or use it as a weapon. :)

Most of that is correct, all except that last paragraph. Let me explain... you won't be selling trinkets or selling furniture. Our shops are service based. People bring you items, and you perform a service on those items. When you obtain an item in the world it has a potential value. There are MANY things that can be done to alter/improve that item. This is what we mean by crafting, you have a potential, and you may use up that item's potential in various ways. Some of these ways involve using a player's store.

Let's say you find a nice sword, suitable for a Gargoyle, but you are a Tyven. You could take that sword to a player's sword smith store and have them alter the looks of that item to make it usable by a Tyven, but it keeps all of it's previous stats (and unused potential).

Or, you find a powerful grim Talisman, and you would like the powers of that Talisman added to a helm you have that still has unused potential. Go to a helms smith shop and give them the Talisman and the Helm, and for a small fee they will work that talisman into the helm, adding that power, and using up some of the item's potential.

There are many different services that players may offer, and they can improve their craft, allowing them to process more items of their types of service in less time. However, since one of our rules to CoS is 'no forced waiting', we never make players stand around their shop waiting for business, or working on a job. Instead, when you own a shop you hire NPCs to work there. You set the prices for your services, but they will do the work for players who come to you for a service. This way, you can be out questing instead of sitting in a shop all day, yet the shop is always running (even if you are not in the game).

Hope that explains, at least some of it!

Post Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:25 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Aww I was hoping I could provide more things in the shops. Well, I'm pretty happy with the game as it is, I just hope we get to post a custom message at our own billboard near our shop, I'm planning to make 3-5 weapons and provide a gear rental service to those I trust (mostly real life friends, because I can send my henchmen to their houses if they don't return them :p) so posting a message of the weapons currently available for rental would be nice. I mean some people would be satisfied with their weapons but would feel like they need a certain type of powerup for certain situations, fire damage is nice but I suspect it wouldn't be as effective with all types of enemies, some might be more affected by frost damage for example (correct me if I'm wrong).

Post Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:51 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Thanks Jatar that cleared that up quite nicely for me.
It gave me a clearer understanding of how shops and items work.
However It does make me a little sad that there isn't a crafting system like other games.
I understand where you are taking the game in that you are making it full on story driven and all about the adventure. However there is a good portion of the mmorpg community that enjoy taking time out of adventuring to go crafting. In fact some players prefer to concentrate mainly on crafting and just do some adventuring every now and then. Whenever I see a new mmorpg starting up I usually see a crafting guild being started up.
Crafting wasn't a deal breaker for me. Its something that i would have done if was too tired to be bothered concentrating on an adventure.

live and die on this day

Post Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:17 am 
Citadel Guardian

Wait..so we can't equip furniture as a weapon then?

Post Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:29 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

LMAO clown
now i cant stop imagining my character running round a battlefield wielding the flowery sofa of infinite doom :o

live and die on this day

Post Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:49 am 
Fallen Hero

Laughing Clown wrote:
Wait..so we can't equip furniture as a weapon then?

Actually, this may not be as silly a question as it first appears, what about picking up a chair leg when you've been captured and disarmed? It's hardly going to let you storm the castle, but it may give you the jump on a guard who has weaponry, armour and the keys to your stuff.

Lack of a denial does not necessarily make an affirmation.

"Stop quoting laws to us. We carry swords."
Plutarch, "Life of Pompey", x, 2

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Crafting