CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Crafting

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:52 am 

So, someone can just give me a feedback?

Post Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:41 am 

drax wrote:
*** This is my view about actual "crafting" here and everywhere and why you should put real crafting in this game, you can just jump if if you like, since involves even some kind of rant***

I know that enhance is the idea so, before i suggest something... We will use material in anyway?

Because in fact grinding craft is boring... But not crafting per se... Is just that to me no one have catch the spirit yet.

Let's ask here, to people who really like crafting, what brings you to the crafter way and you don't find?

To me, i am a creattive person, so i like to create things... But i like to give my touch, to be the real cause.
Also, i an a to be scientist (i and taking degree in maths) so i liketo undesrtand and study and reserach, and i like complex crafting.

Some may say, but not everyone like complex crafting, yeah, and not everyone are (true) writers, developers and etc.

What a (true) crafter whats? Not just the ocassional grinder, the real one.

So let's start talking about real life "crafting"

a smith , for instance, is not a grinder, even that this evolves repetitive work.

He first, "fell" what have to do, he choose what have to do, he study what have to do, he plans and put he his touches (some even say his spirit) in what he made.
And then, he use his practice skill, the forge is only a minor part of it.

And ever another creative work, let's put in that way... I an kind of a dev, just not active one, but have a soul of dev. (an other creative stuffs)

So, dev is a repetitive work, sometimes... But think all the parts that come in the creation of developing something and maybe you will understand what i say about real crafting.

I say this because i also write an being relate with so much creative work make me to have hungyry for creating in virtual world

And going bake to this game world, what a crafter would do? Create, without grinding, maybe can be repetitive sometimes, yes it can... But like a said, you as a developer, even with the repetitive part, would change what you do?

Every creation work have this repeat and rinse... Even writing, painting, is just a part of it (maybe not always, but well, if you do the repeat part you get better results, and for the pure art, you can just do a writing and painting and music system)

And why i saying all this stuff? This project is just awesome, it have a lot LOT of potential do do a rel organic MMORPG...

And when come to my favorite part, the crafting, it's just, discarded.
The enchanting part is not even something like crafting, why?
First, it's sound something like a differentiate way to adventuring that is just, adventuring in the end.
Also, like i said a true crafter is a creator, your system the item is consequence and not cause.
Is not my dragon breath... Is the dragon breath...

Well, i saying to much and going nowhere, so i will give my suggestion form here...

**End of the view/kind of rant***

** real suggestion starts here***

So, the problem is grinding right? And if is there a non grinding way to craft?

The first part is think a crafter like two things a artist and a researcher, i will come to this two views and tie then together.

First as a researcher, in this case... The player would have first to do real study about the propriety (will back on this later), the grinding part would be the REAL grinding part AKA trial and error... Not pure skill based trial and error (grind) but experimental trial and error.

And second as a artist, in that case they will have the basis... But would use REAL creative skills, like choosing the visual, and also emulation of handmade skills.

Ok, for the first part, i would abort how would work this system.

It would start in the base materials... Gathering this also don't need to be a grind and this fits more with adventure type player... If i have some feedback i would say about the gathering part, in a new vision also... Thinking in the profile of who really like doing this. And not the occasional gathering for gathering.

So, the base materials would have attributes, and those attributes would not be a game prevision of the damage a sword would give, but real physical, chemical and biological attributes.
And them those att. would change the results in the processes of creation.

Let's give and example... You get a metal A, and metal A have high hardness, well, like real metals, would be hard to work on it but would be more resistant (or not), you would have too make a less flexible armor for example.
And, id you want to work with metal A, what you maybe will need? Melting it. put not go and click but a real melting, how ?
metal A have melting point attribute so you need to analyse what you doing and not just click on it.
And metal A have a high one so maybe you can't even work in it, but if you do, maybe it would result something very resistant to fire, who knows?

Ok, and the base material, would be part of a chain and everything would have this base idea, so being a organic creation system, you can even make your own materials, that would be great or a failure, just testing to know.

SO if analyse a sword, would says sharpness and what this affect, i don't know, maybe the cutting damage, maybe others stuffs, you need to research to understand.

Ok, i could be talking a lot about this, but i will wait the feedback.

You can put all your researchs in books and sell it, or even a could have patent system.

And the artistic part, well that well need a engine too.
is the same basis that dev's could use to create the items, you could try to make longer sword, larger... And after thinking, analising, felling the sword, you would smith, maybe trough some kind of mini game that emulates the handmade part.
And also the error part is not mainly because of skills, but because of wrong choices and maybe the handmade part (put again, a error more form real player skills)

So, how skills works on all of it?

When, like i have read here, you learn skills, so is just the same idea.

The skills, would limit the researcher and artistic engines (so you cannot see all the data or try all the things because well, you don't understand what are you doing, and the artistic part you canot make every model form beginning, and don't have all modelling tolls, or maybe you don't know to make a sword, but a hammer you know)

well, i would talk more later if i have some feedback... It's 2:44 here where i live, so i will sleep and i cant think anymore...

Please, give some feedback :)

It is incredibly difficult to understand you, but i think i have the idea. I do like the sound of having patented crafting methods. Although, the crafting already has huge ways of making your gear almost completely unique. They said somewhere, that they do not want people to have to spend too much time crafting gear. They want people out adventuring, which i agree with. Allowing the option to do either, is the easy way to make everyone happy, though.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:50 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Our Crafting system is our own, and will remain as we intend it to be, different. Within our system players can craft ANY item into whatever they want to make out if its potential. This is an amazingly robust system where you get to actually make something into what you want, rather than following a preset recipe.

All we did is eliminate the standing around and doing repetitive tasks that other games put in to use up player's time because they do not have enough content. In our world, you make what you want out of anything you get, and you do it while doing other enjoyable content at the same time.

Instead of working on an assembly line making the same thing over and over, we allow our Crafters to be artists, and make what they want out of a lump of clay (so to speak). You are only limited by the maximum potential of the item, the greater its potential, the more you can work with it and make it into what you want.

We don't feel that we removed Crafting from the game, we feel we improved it beyond imagination, or to put it another way, allowed you to use your imagination in making what you want. This means that the items available from Crafters will be nearly unlimited in diversity, rather than a few repeated items that everyone makes.

So no, we do not plan to spend our time adding a different system that wastes player's time. There are only so many development hours in a project, and we intend to spend the ones we have on making content and enjoyment, not repetitive tasks that other games used.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:49 pm 

Ok, i was especting this aswer and i get the spirit of the game...

And since i have my owm infernal brainstorming, can i gave a suggestion that make sence to the game.

I tought in using the concept of felling the adventures trought a extra thing.

soul.

Your soul would change your status, skills bonus, traits oe even bring negativy side.

This even include what you kill or not, is a kind of karma, but don't are.

More than this, your itens would also have a soul, they will be in part alive.

This soul is a fragment of your owm soul, so is not just dragon blood, but yourself, that would change your itens (this would be apart of item potential)

Let's say that ou kill A LOT, and i say a lot.
So you sword will gain a little of... bloodthirst.

Being a fragment, then it are not you.

The other part of this idea was still relatede to crafting, but maybe can be useful.

I have tought that a item have "two halves of soul"

The first is you, the user

The other is from who created the item (they say that a smither put's his soul in the sword, right)

So, maybe the itens can have a half soul that fuse with yours.

In other words, your item is kind alive.

Maybe this can apply to just some itens, "soul itens"

I just have this draft in my mind, but i think that this would be coll

And if you agree, i could draft more :)

Post Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:02 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Though we appreciate your desire to add designs to the game, that phase of development was concluded quite some time ago. At this stage we are well into development and cannot make major changes. Feel free to discuss ideas here all you want, that is always good fun, but understand that the game design is finished at this point. Thanks for understanding.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:13 pm 

ah ok, ty

Post Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:36 am 
Patron Herald
Patron Herald

Truthfully, this is the only thing about this game I'm finding rather disappointing. Everything else is great, it just seems the crafting isn't really crafting at all, and is very limited. Maybe I'm not understanding it very well.

So much else in the game is great, but considering that it's so much like real life with more adventure and some fantasy added, I would have thought the crafting would be so as well. Able to craft anything so long as you dedicate your time and energy to it, including houses themselves, anything you can put in to a house, etc. Not just dedicated to clothing, armor and weapons.

I really hope that you will expand on crafting in the future.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:14 am 

Allow me to reassure you that the crafting is by no means limiting. In fact, it allows more options than most other games. It's just that the vast majority of it is kept secret. The way its being done is very unique and imho, leaves every other game in the dust. It attacks issues that arise in every other mmo so far, so naturally they would want it to be kept hidden.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:31 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

moiraesfate wrote:
Truthfully, this is the only thing about this game I'm finding rather disappointing. Everything else is great, it just seems the crafting isn't really crafting at all, and is very limited. Maybe I'm not understanding it very well.

So much else in the game is great, but considering that it's so much like real life with more adventure and some fantasy added, I would have thought the crafting would be so as well. Able to craft anything so long as you dedicate your time and energy to it, including houses themselves, anything you can put in to a house, etc. Not just dedicated to clothing, armor and weapons.

I really hope that you will expand on crafting in the future.

Its possible that they will, but I doubt it. The crafting in CoS is tailored towards changing gear into what you want it to be. Not making houses or boats. I was turned off to it at first because I am the type of person that was a bigtime crafter in many MMOs, FFXI, Vanguard and FFXIV before they changed it into WoW. I am looking forward to the way CoS does it because it won't be the same as generic MMO A has been doing it for the last 8 years.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:52 pm 

ShadowOfTheAlphaUhm wrote:
Allow me to reassure you that the crafting is by no means limiting. In fact, it allows more options than most other games. It's just that the vast majority of it is kept secret. The way its being done is very unique and imho, leaves every other game in the dust. It attacks issues that arise in every other mmo so far, so naturally they would want it to be kept hidden.

As Ive stated elsewhere im Leary of the crafting system, not because i think its stupid, or that it should be changed...

My reason?

Simple... I dont see a crafting system.. I see us as the owners of a recycling company.... rather a dull process where we will have very little direct contact with with exception of setting prices and and finding new processes.

I could be wrong but when I see it written out thats what I see. So I will wait to see how it plays out in game. Until then this is all conjecture.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Crafting