CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Crafting

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:09 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Crafting, at its most basic level, means players making items for the game. Our system gives players the chance to craft every single item they use, and create a unique item. It is not recycling, quite the opposite. We give them a blank canvas on which they create what they want.

There are no recipies, taking my painting analogy further, that would be like forcing artists to create a piece of art using a paint by numbers diagram.

There are no assembly lines, where each person does the same thing as the other player.

Every item is made into something unique, starting from nothing. It is hard to get more creative than that.

What our system does it take out the endless wastes of time that other MMOs use. Hammering on rocks for hours of time is not creative, nor is standing in front of a forge changing iron ore to bars, and bars into sheets. Making the same items as every other player is also not creative.

So, when you say you don't see a Crafting system, what you are really saying is you don't see a bunch of time wasting, repetitive tasks where every player makes the same copies of things over and over. I guess that's true.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:04 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

One thing I want to say in response to this quote:
calith wrote:
However It does make me a little sad that there isn't a crafting system like other games.
I understand where you are taking the game in that you are making it full on story driven and all about the adventure. However there is a good portion of the mmorpg community that enjoy taking time out of adventuring to go crafting. In fact some players prefer to concentrate mainly on crafting and just do some adventuring every now and then. Whenever I see a new mmorpg starting up I usually see a crafting guild being started up.
Crafting wasn't a deal breaker for me. Its something that i would have done if was too tired to be bothered concentrating on an adventure.

Now, what I'm seeing here is that players want to "take a break from adventuring" and "sit and click". I understand what you're saying, however I feel that it's wrong. What players are "taking a break from" is not adventuring in other MMOs, compared to CoS, none of what any other MMO does should be considered aventuring once you've seen every map and covered every level and fought every monster. Yes, as a player starting out, every new MMO is an adventure, until you reach that level cap. At this point, you're not taking a break from adventuring, you're using boring repetition to distract your mind from another boring repetition you're mistaking for adventuring because that's what the MMO tells you it's supposed to be called. Things like "quests" where you have to kill 20 bears to get 5 bear claws. Why do you have to kill 20? wouldn't you only need to kill 2?
I'm not understanding what people aren't seeing. The only draw to a traditional MMO crafting system is NOT the reptitious grind. There is no way in hell any sane person ENJOYS that. What they enjoy are the end rewards, being able to stay at the city center going back and forth from the bank to buy more materials in bulk, string those materials together into workable things, changing those workable things into items at the higher levels because that's what people like to buy, and making a profit. Yes, this is crafting.
But, at a novice level, someone who is not efficient but still wants to craft, will go out, find an iron ore, or kill some special bird thing that due to the WIKI knows exactly where it spawns and has a handy teleport ready to get there. Boom, he's there, kills it, teleports back to the city center, takes his new fancy bird feather and attaches it to his sword of the occult to turn it into a sword of quetzacoaccult, (see what i did there?) However, because of unambitious previous mmos have been, this next level sword was still encoded into the game specifically to be made ONE WAY and ONLY ONE WAY. From what I understand about CoS is that this same scenario plays out this way.
You're out with friends, doing your adventuring, real in depth quests, finding caves that no one else has ever been to, 10 years into the game, finding a hidden treasure chest guarded by a monster still yet no one has ever seen, and it's a freakin beast. You and your friends work together, barely escaping death, managing to best this monster of a monster completely filled with **** Energy, (at this point I still don't exactly know what it is, rather, i dont even know if I should mention it. nevermind, bleeped it out). You and your friends open this epic beastliness of a treasure chest, shiny as you've ever imagined. You get a butterknife. You're disappointed with your butter knife, but your friend tells you, "hey man, that sh** is bomb dude, it's got a potential of OVER 9000!!!". So you're like, you know what, this is a kickin butter knife.
Story continues with you battling more monsters, and for the final blow, you decide it'd be hilarious to deal the finishing blow on every monster with your butter knife. Only now, you've made some modifications. Now you've got a butter knife that you've infused with dark magic, and given it a utility strength of LIKE A BOSS. You come across this amazing bird that isn't aggressive, but in fact so incredibly beautiful, it would be an absolute shame to mess with it. So you decide to kill it. Boom boom, shake up the room, it's dead. You find in its ashes an amazing feather, and because you had previously researched in the library that this rare bird's feathers have a dark magic enhancement effect, you decide, hey, I want to take my little ol' butter knife and this feather to mount wannahakkaloogy on the apex of a full day moon and pray to the goddess of chivalryisdead and bless your butter knife with the powers of this feather, utilizing the last of its potential, accomplishing a feat that no one else in the history of ever has done. Crafting that little butter knife into the ultimate evil shredding tool of destruction.

I think it should be noted here that by dark magic, i Did not intend that to mean "evil", but like, night, literally dark, shade type magic.

**Jatar, I need your help here with things that you know n stuff**
If you're going to play CoS and think, "hey, I want to get away from the adventure", there are plenty of ways to do that, but not in the way you might think. But to think that the adventure is separate from anything in CoS I feel is wrong. The entire world, everything about it IS the adventure, it's not just something you do, it's something you live. Crafting is meant in CoS to be part of that, part of living it, and not in the way that you need to put years of study and practice into something to be moderately good at it, that's real life. Let's leave that to real life. This is an alternate reality in which we want to be immersed, not feel like we're living our life over after being at work 9-5. That's why I'm creating a game called Office Max. The beauty is that once you get home from the office, you get to basically just keep doing your job, but in the virtual world, just not getting paid for it! that's an awesome idea, right?

Post Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:17 am 

Jatar wrote:
Crafting, at its most basic level, means players making items for the game. Our system gives players the chance to craft every single item they use, and create a unique item. It is not recycling, quite the opposite. We give them a blank canvas on which they create what they want.

There are no recipies, taking my painting analogy further, that would be like forcing artists to create a piece of art using a paint by numbers diagram.

There are no assembly lines, where each person does the same thing as the other player.

Every item is made into something unique, starting from nothing. It is hard to get more creative than that.

What our system does it take out the endless wastes of time that other MMOs use. Hammering on rocks for hours of time is not creative, nor is standing in front of a forge changing iron ore to bars, and bars into sheets. Making the same items as every other player is also not creative.

So, when you say you don't see a Crafting system, what you are really saying is you don't see a bunch of time wasting, repetitive tasks where every player makes the same copies of things over and over. I guess that's true.

I see what you are saying and thats cool, however when I think of crafting its not for me personally. to use the item, but profit from it... Now will there be a player run Auction Hall for us to post our created items or are we going to be assaulted by a constant spam fest of players trying to sell gear in the chat log? And if there is a Player run Auction Hall that would make the player run shops obsolete.

Now as far as player run shops go they are basically recycling centers. You can pretty it up however you want but player A brings in a helm for tyven and needs it changed into a helm for Gargoyles its being recycled. now if we could put the items we do craft into our shops that shouldnt be too much difficulty since the chances of reproducing any one item would be almost impossible in the game anyway.

I know this is not in the planning and thats a disappointment. If I made Unitatos aforementioned butter knife of doom and didnt want to use it but make a profit off of it and I have a store front.. well, naturally id put it up for sale in my shop so the guild got more profit. It only seems logical to me.. the more profit I make as a guild member the more money the guild gets for improvements.

On another matter concerning shops what makes my shop different from the shop next to me? other than possibly price and the NPC standing behind the counter?

Post Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:46 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Akumawraith wrote:
Jatar wrote:

What our system does is take out the endless wastes of time that other MMOs use. Hammering on rocks for hours of time is not creative, nor is standing in front of a forge changing iron ore to bars, and bars into sheets. Making the same items as every other player is also not creative.

I see what you are saying and thats cool, however when I think of crafting its not for me personally. to use the item, but profit from it... Now will there be a player run Auction Hall for us to post our created items or are we going to be assaulted by a constant spam fest of players trying to sell gear in the chat log? And if there is a Player run Auction Hall that would make the player run shops obsolete.

Answer: Yes, there is a player run Auction system, and you can sell your crafted items (as long as they are not Soul Bound or Monogrammed). It does not make player run shops obsolete, since all player run shops are services, not item sales.

Akumawraith wrote:
Now as far as player run shops go they are basically recycling centers. You can pretty it up however you want but player A brings in a helm for tyven and needs it changed into a helm for Gargoyles its being recycled. now if we could put the items we do craft into our shops that shouldnt be too much difficulty since the chances of reproducing any one item would be almost impossible in the game anyway.

Answer: A service that changes the looks of an item is not part of the Crafting system, that is part of the store services system. They are not related.

Akumawraith wrote:
I know this is not in the planning and thats a disappointment. If I made Unitatos aforementioned butter knife of doom and didnt want to use it but make a profit off of it and I have a store front.. well, naturally id put it up for sale in my shop so the guild got more profit. It only seems logical to me.. the more profit I make as a guild member the more money the guild gets for improvements.

Answer: Absolutely true, and the services you offer at your store can do just that. But as for the item you sold, you may sell your item, just through the player auction system, or to a Citadel Store. If you want to help your guild, donate some of the profit you made.

Akumawraith wrote:
On another matter concerning shops what makes my shop different from the shop next to me? other than possibly price and the NPC standing behind the counter?

Like all things, you can get better at what you do, and that includes your store and the services you can offer. You can build your store up to offer higher level services done faster, because waiting sucks. And yes, you can also compete in price. We'll talk more about the store system in the future though.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:51 pm 

Answer: Absolutely true, and the services you offer at your store can do just that. But as for the item you sold, you may sell your item, just through the player auction system, or to a Citadel Store. If you want to help your guild, donate some of the profit you made.

eh this is what we do in every other game. ah well.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:57 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Akumawraith wrote:

Guilds have other ways of making money. They can tax the stores in their Guild Town, for example. That way they make money off of other players (not in their guild).

This is all getting off topic, since this is not to do with crafting.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:22 am 

Jatar wrote:
Akumawraith wrote:

Guilds have other ways of making money. They can tax the stores in their Guild Town, for example. That way they make money off of other players (not in their guild).

This is all getting off topic, since this is not to do with crafting.

For Me what you earn as a Fallen Hero , can primarily be turned into power that differentiates your character. The Items you make and the Gold you earn can be used to do this. So for me I want the power on my back so I can become more powerful.

Sadly I believe I will be hoarding most of what I earn. The items earned for crafting require game play , I somehow think CoS has a different focus which is adventuring. Time played equates to if you have items to spare to be crafted.

This will all have great individual value ... don't sell your soul that's what I say.

Look Down.....

Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:03 am 
Citadel Recruit

I understand that you get items to enhance your current equipment from adventures. The question I have is do you make the base items or is there a way to acquire them? For example, you find a frost ring that adds cold damage and/or cold resistance. It's nice but your current equipment does the same thing. Can a base or empty weapon be acquired or made to use the ring on to build a second sword using items that don't quite fit with your current sword?

Also where would you get base armors? You may start out with leather but find it doesn't quite do the job so you want to go to a sturdier armor or you may start with chain but find it's noisy so you want cloth or leather. Or is armor generally the same as far as protection and more a preference of looks?

And one last question. Can items/ abilities be removed from items and transferred to another item?

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:04 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

CopperDragon wrote:
I understand that you get items to enhance your current equipment from adventures. The question I have is do you make the base items or is there a way to acquire them? For example, you find a frost ring that adds cold damage and/or cold resistance. It's nice but your current equipment does the same thing. Can a base or empty weapon be acquired or made to use the ring on to build a second sword using items that don't quite fit with your current sword?

Also where would you get base armors? You may start out with leather but find it doesn't quite do the job so you want to go to a sturdier armor or you may start with chain but find it's noisy so you want cloth or leather. Or is armor generally the same as far as protection and more a preference of looks?

And one last question. Can items/ abilities be removed from items and transferred to another item?

Absolutely. Almost every item you ever find will be what we call a mundane item, this means it does not yet have any of it's potential used. These items are then ready to be made into what you want. You may work on as many different items at once as you wish.

If you start with something you cannot change it into something else, you would need to start crafting that new armor piece on its own. However, to your last question, if you are willing to destroy a previously crafted item, we let you remove one thing you put into it for use in a new item (obviously, you will likely choose the most powerful or useful feature to move).

Let me know if you have any other questions, or need further clarification. :)

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:41 pm 
Citadel Recruit

It seems one question has remained unanswered. Can we craft furniture afterall? If so, can we get some particulars as to how customizable they will be? Sofa mounts, yea or nay?

Vanish, and He'll make you shine like the sun.

Fall, and He'll raise you to the heavens.

Become nothing, and He'll turn you into everything."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Crafting