CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Crafting

Post Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:26 am 

I know that there are no current plans to have players crafting items, and that player run shops are service locations only.

But I was watching one of my favorite anime series called Sword Art Online (SAO), and I noticed something interesting. The anime is based on a full sensory immersion MMORPG that goes wrong. Players end up having thier minds linked to the game for a period of two years with the inability to log out or they can die IRL.

Now that being said these players live in the game, so they for their guilds communities and retirement areas. And they have a unique crafting system. One I think could work in nearly any MMORPG to great success.

Materials: anything found in the world has the potential to be a crafting material. Be it ore, organic, or living.

Crafting ability: Players dont get a catalog of items they can create, theres no recipes to buy. Its all based on skill points. Through trial and error players have the chance to create items in a specific profession they can choose.

How to craft: Players quest, grind, explore and find items that drop from NPC's Monsters and wild life. They then bring these items to a crafter and for a fee the crafter can attempt to create something completely random. (a random item generator could accomplish this with ease.)

While thre are multiple different levels of creatures, rarities and tiers there is also the chance of getting unique items from crafting the higher the skill ability. The rarer an item and higher the skill of the crafter the higher the chance for a unique item.

As there is no set catalog for a system like this players would have full reason to acquire goods for the crafters, which in turn levels the crafters skills, but there is also the bonus of mass variety that players can experience through trade, sales, and auctions.

I dont expect this to happen in CoS, but its an idea that has alot of potential and isnt one that exists in any game i know of. The true beauty of this system is the player gets the item after its crafted and the crafter gets paid. its a basic economy.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:36 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Actually, that first line "I know that there are no current plans to have players crafting items" is not really true. CoS features a very robust, though unique, Crafting system. We wanted our items to all be custom made, meaning, there is no mass production of the same items due to recipes.

In CoS every item you find has a potential. You use up that potential making it into a uniquely crafted item. This is done by going out on quests and adventures to seek the specific elements you want to add. These elements come in MANY forms, but you are never mining or collecting skins, etc. At least nothing that requires you to stand in place and wait while you do something.

Our method of finding the elements you can Craft into your item generally involve questing for something. This means you may need to kill a monster to get some part of it's body, or bargain with some Fay Race for a Charm, or seek some ancient ruin to explore deep down for an ancient relic, or seek some remote location where a magical power is in the soil or pond. There are many different ways to get the things you want to use in crafting your unique item, but they will never involve standing around at a loom or forge for hours of grinding.

Every item you find can be crafted into something unique and different from the next person's created object.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:46 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Remember, Crafting is a method by which a player creates an item (for their use, or to sell).

We allow EVERY item to be Crafted into a special item by the player, all we did is take out the time syncs and grinds, and replaced them with quests and adventure to make your item.

To therefore say that we do not offer Crafting is funny. We offer even more creative ability for players to make what they want, since EVERY item can be Crafted. Sure, we don't do it the same way other games do it, why would we? Citadel of Sorcery is all about new methods of game play that increase the enjoyment by taking out the repetition and grinds and replacing them with more personal and unique game play. Our Crafting system does just that. :)

Post Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:56 am 

Yeah i understand that Jatar. I take back what I said earlier. I guess when we can experience the crafting we will understand more on the subject. I admit Im tainted by the mediocre crafting CD models of WoW and many other games.

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Crafting