CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » CoS: General Discussion of the Game

Post Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:40 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Here is a short parable that might seem familiar...

There were a few people working for car companies. One was a car designer, and he had worked with other car designers on different cars over the years. He worked at BMW, and he knew a few brilliant engineers, one working at Mercedes, another at Lexus, and so on.

One day he met with these colleagues over lunch and said, "The other day I had an idea for a really great new car body."

One of the engineers said, "That's a nice idea, I came up with a way to build a new engine that runs on water."

So the designer and the rest of the people there started working on combining all their ideas. When they were finished they looked at the concept of this new vehicle and said, "Wow, who wouldn't want a car with 1000 horse power that ran on water, with no harmful emissions, looks like a sports car, and costs less to manufacture?

They took this design to their various companies, and in each case the management said, "Wow,that'a really something, but we can't afford the ten years of R&D just to see if it works."

Frustrated, the group got together and made a life changing decision, they each decided to give up their high paying jobs, form a new company, called H2O Magic, and build the prototype. Just like the major car makers, investors also didn't want to risk their money on R&D, so the team decided to use all the money they had ever made making standard cars and finance the making of the prototype.

They worked on it for a couple years and got some of the early technology working. Other people learned of their vision, and came and joined the team. After eight years of hard work, with no pay, no vacations, and seven days a week work, the prototype reached the point where the engine worked, the car body was there, but it still needed things like the interior, tires, etc. Nothing that hadn't been done before.

They also needed to build an assembly line to make more.

So, they had a meeting and said, "Where do we stand?"

The finance guy said, "Well, with our current team, and all they have to donate in time and money, we will completely finish the prototype and assembly line in maybe three years, shorter depending on if we continue to add more volunteer employees, though we can't know for sure that will happen. However, we talked to a large investment group and they said they would finance the making of the car once we reach that stage."

"Isn't there any way to speed that up?"

"Well, customers claim that they really want this, if we offered them some incentives for donating a little money, we could shave off a lot of that time by hiring a few more people rather than hoping they might come and donate their time."

"What's the down side?"

"They might not believe us unless we show them how the technology works."

"We can't show them, the technology and design are what the investors want, if we give it away we lose our advantage."

"We could give them a glimpse to show that it really does run, a quick run around the track, and tell them what we built, just not how we built it. Truthfully, all we need is enough money to put the paint on over the primer, and build the interior, so even though it took millions to get it to this stage, a relatively small amount would finish the protoptype, and we could get the rest of the financing."

"OK, let's do it. I mean, all those people who have been crying about buying gas will surely want to back this and get the car they have dreamed of, with extras included for free because they are putting in a small amount of money ahead of time."

Six weeks later.

"Why aren't enough people investing?"

"Well, it isn't our incentive program, or the product,when people come to our site and read up on the specs a high number donate, but not enough people are coming over to find out."

"Why aren't they coming, this is everything they have wanted!"

"They say we are offering too much, so it can't actually be true."

"They don't want us to give them everything they want?"

"Apparently. They also say that we haven't been building other cars the last ten years, so they don't know us."

"But, didn't we tell them, years ago, that we were working on this new concept, so of course that's what we have all been doing the past years!"

"Yes, we told them. But they think this is impossible, even though we showed them the running car. The customers think they know what we can and cannot build simply because they have only bought standard cars in the past."

"What else?"

"You're going to love this one. They think the primer coat of paint doesn't look as good as finished cars."

"And we told them it's just primer?"

"Over and over, they say things like, 'it looks dated'"

"It's primer paint."

"I know. They cannot see past the primer paint to actually look at the car body. We had a crash dummy in the front seat for scale, and they claim he doesn't look real. After we explain that real people will actually drive the car, and that the dummy won't actually be in the final car, they don't believe us."

"They don't believe us, even though we have never lied to them, and have let them follow along with the development the entire time?"

"Yes, they claim other companies have lied to them."

"But, we're not those other companies."

"They don't care."

"So let me sum this up, we designed and built a functioning prototype of the car they have always wanted, kept them informed all the way, never lied about a single thing, spent all of our time and money, for eight years, and when we ask them to donate a small amount of money so we can put that coat of paint on, add the seats, and replace the dummy, their answer is, if you finish it without us, then we'll donate money?"

"Yep,and they always add that statement, the paint doesn't look good enough. "

"IT'S ONLY THE PRIMER! "

"I know, don't shout at me. "

"Do any of them even realize that when we do this without their support, we won't need their donations anymore? There will be no reason to offer them any of the add-ons and extras, they will just have to pay full price, and wait an extra year or two for that privilege?"

"A few do, they have donated instead of complaining. They understand what we are trying to do for everyone. "

"I want you to make sure those few people get more than they expect, not less. Draw up a plan, and let's make sure those people understand that we consider them part of the team now, not just customers."

"Anything else? "

"No, as always, regardless of what people think, we stick to the plan, and make what we set out to make."

"Anything else you want to tell the public?"

"It's just a primer coat!"

Post Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:07 pm 

For some reason people are not getting the Vision and what has been achieved so far. I think that will start to change.

Having invested a lot of time like a lot of other people in MMOs over the years, (Thats playtime as a Hobby, not a developer). To some people myself being one of them investing a little in innovation is worth it because We can.

It is a shame more people don't have faith and trust any more. I am sure quite a few of us will help where we can. I think kickstarter has been very worthwhile, it puts a stake in the ground at least.

You will get people who will take you up on your offer ....

Look Down.....

Post Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:48 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

I saw this on another comment section of a review. (I can't remember which one)

Absolutely true!
I've worked on a couple of RPGs (PnP) and it's unbelievable the time and money (and did I say time?) that go into a project before anyone even hears about it. To get as far as you have is astounding.

Those "of little faith" will venture nothing and gain as much.
Those of faith will venture forth and gain a world!

Last edited by Wyndyn on Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:53 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

I read this and really laughed because I do not understand why people do not get it. You all have been nothing but up front and given as much info as possible even in the days befor you had your own forum.

I was reading an article on MMORPG dot com it was an op-ed or an editorial called the next big thing. The article was short but reading all the comments from people made me sad because no one believes that some one can or will break the mold of the current WOW clone universe we live in. Blizzard created a game that I think brought MMO's to the least common denominator to make it accessible. Maybe at the time that was a good thing but now it is time for MMO's to grow up.

This does not mean adult content or more blood per se but it is time for the story to take over and convince you that you character is the center piece of the story. I hate with a passion the current quest formula for MMO's where every one has pretty much done the same quest as me, they all talked to the old guy in the woods who happen to be on the way to village "x". Worse yet they all got to choose from the same 4 rewards. How am I suppose to feel like a hero when we 100,000 other people all have the same dagger of dullness.

All that to say it time to expect more from our MMO's I just hope people can get past their negativity and have a little hope because I think This game is the next big thing!

Post Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:19 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Adel wrote:
I read this and really laughed because I do not understand why people do not get it. You all have been nothing but up front and given as much info as possible even in the days befor you had your own forum.

I was reading an article on MMORPG dot com it was an op-ed or an editorial called the next big thing. The article was short but reading all the comments from people made me sad because no one believes that some one can or will break the mold of the current WOW clone universe we live in. Blizzard created a game that I think brought MMO's to the least common denominator to make it accessible. Maybe at the time that was a good thing but now it is time for MMO's to grow up.

This does not mean adult content or more blood per se but it is time for the story to take over and convince you that you character is the center piece of the story. I hate with a passion the current quest formula for MMO's where every one has pretty much done the same quest as me, they all talked to the old guy in the woods who happen to be on the way to village "x". Worse yet they all got to choose from the same 4 rewards. How am I suppose to feel like a hero when we 100,000 other people all have the same dagger of dullness.

All that to say it time to expect more from our MMO's I just hope people can get past their negativity and have a little hope because I think This game is the next big thing!

Well to be honest, I personally think it's not so much people don't get it. I think it's more (and yes i've said this several times) that many of us are jaded, having been promised the moon, but getting about noting noteworthy at all. However, in this case, I fully believe that MMO Magic will deliver. They have been nothing but up front with us from the very beginning. Yep, it's primer...primer has to go on before the finish coat. See, I get it LOLOL

Post Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:28 pm 
Citadel Guardian

You can also see it this way :
People always take the easy way.
hey will listen to pop music with three different words in a 6 minute song instead of albums with researched lyrics because they do not have to care about understanding them.
They will listen to popular movies without any relevant stories instead of a movie with less budget, but an incredible story making you wonder about things, so that once it's finished, they can just watch another bad thing on TV.
People will eat fast food instead of healthy food because they ''do not have time'' to cook healthy food. It's all about themselves, and their own universe where they are the sun, and everyone/thing orbit around them.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:32 am 

i believe that your group is doing what you say i believe you put too much time and effort into to the forums and the videos you have so far for this to be a scam and i really hope it isnt. this kind of game seems like it would destroy all other games currently out there im very much looking forward to cos and everything you can do in it all the playable content would keep people busy for a long time ive backed on kickstarter and have asked many friends to do the same ive shared it on facebook and told many people personally that what i see in this game could be soo amazing and be a revolution in mmo gaming once other companies see that your method to creating a game and giving players everything theyve asked for works other companies may try also but by then most would be loyal cos players and not go for another game that would just copy what cos offers

Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:37 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Just you watch, though.
When CoS goes live, a lot of the "other" MMO gamers will join in and all you will hear is "It's a great game, but .... and then tell you about their favorite, "in a rut", MMO. Or "you should put in _____ (fill in the blank from another MMO)"

I know that our input will be listened to and the good stuff will actually be considered, but most likely it has already been thought of, put into the game or discarded for a good reason. I am hoping that along the way I help in some small way to make the game even better than I know it's going to be.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:04 pm 
Fallen Hero

These is the oldest story on innovation, and the reason I've grown found of your project is because I understand you have a vision. If the end product will really be good is debatable, many had visions and many failed over the years.

Sadly my support can not extend further then my sympathy and my vast gaming experience when you need testers, as I am currently looking for a job my self.

The idea that you went to the length of creating stuff from scratch, instead of adapting to the existent technology, at least some of it, shows how committed you are to your vision. Every fool can throw his life's money away into a project, not every one can put his brains working for the perfection and progress of it, using new ideas and concepts.

The worst problem of CoS is marketing, or the very lack of it. It costs money and time to make a product appealing, the concept alone of CoS is not enough.

It is like MCdonalds, in the photos the hamburgers look so big and delicious and colorful and...you get the point, but when you buy the hamburger it is half the size and does not look nearly as appealing as it did on the photo. Does it taste good? It does, but it was not the taste that sold, the taste kept us from complaining for not getting something as good as it was on that photo. It is the photo, pretty, colorful and attractive photo that sold the product.

The MCd parabola works on every product you may try to sell. First it needs to look appealing, so you can sell, only after it needs to be appealing so ppl continue to use it.

As always, I wish the best of luck to the project.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:34 am 
Hero of the Citadel

Alll these people's replies seems completely different from the replies given by the people to the car company.....

Yeah this game will be a hit but i hope that the other people to join us ll believe that this game ll be a good one and download and install and start playing it also.....

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » CoS: General Discussion of the Game