CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » CoS: General Discussion of the Game




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Author Message
 Post Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:56 pm 
Offline
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 15, 2013 12:15 pm
Posts: 182
Have you considered using your earth generating engines to some schools or other big companies that could make use of it?

I mean, a software that can create earth, and allow simulations speed up, with erosion etc taken into account, I'm quite sure some areas could be insterested in buying that product, to help finance the game, and at the sametime, allow you to say X is using our earth building technology. That's always a plus to have some big name saying they're using something in the game :).

Part of my work experiences, showed me that most innovations are actually made by games first, and then used in a different manner by other places. Takes physx for example, it's been used for simulation of real life physics effect along other things :).

Maybe contacting nasa? They might have a use for simulating the creation of a planet, and seeing if they're habitable or not from the parameters input in the creator :) Just throwing some ideas there since I can't finance the game myself :).

My idea there is simply extra cash added, and the free publicity you might get out of it at the sametime.

I am only focusing on the earth generator, since it is the part that has been the most disclosed, and I'm assuming it is also a completly finished product since it's one of the bases of COS, so maybe it's marketable?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:43 am 
Offline
Patron Herald
Patron Herald

Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:51 am
Posts: 34
squishy wrote:
Have you considered using your earth generating engines to some schools or other big companies that could make use of it?

I mean, a software that can create earth, and allow simulations speed up, with erosion etc taken into account, I'm quite sure some areas could be insterested in buying that product, to help finance the game, and at the sametime, allow you to say X is using our earth building technology. That's always a plus to have some big name saying they're using something in the game :).

Part of my work experiences, showed me that most innovations are actually made by games first, and then used in a different manner by other places. Takes physx for example, it's been used for simulation of real life physics effect along other things :).

Maybe contacting nasa? They might have a use for simulating the creation of a planet, and seeing if they're habitable or not from the parameters input in the creator :) Just throwing some ideas there since I can't finance the game myself :).

My idea there is simply extra cash added, and the free publicity you might get out of it at the sametime.

I am only focusing on the earth generator, since it is the part that has been the most disclosed, and I'm assuming it is also a completly finished product since it's one of the bases of COS, so maybe it's marketable?


If they did that it would only be a matter of time before someone stole their idea.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:00 pm 
Offline
Lead Designer
Lead Designer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:00 am
Posts: 1876
KanedaSyndrome wrote:
squishy wrote:
Have you considered using your earth generating engines to some schools or other big companies that could make use of it?

I mean, a software that can create earth, and allow simulations speed up, with erosion etc taken into account, I'm quite sure some areas could be insterested in buying that product, to help finance the game, and at the sametime, allow you to say X is using our earth building technology. That's always a plus to have some big name saying they're using something in the game :).

Part of my work experiences, showed me that most innovations are actually made by games first, and then used in a different manner by other places. Takes physx for example, it's been used for simulation of real life physics effect along other things :).

Maybe contacting nasa? They might have a use for simulating the creation of a planet, and seeing if they're habitable or not from the parameters input in the creator :) Just throwing some ideas there since I can't finance the game myself :).

My idea there is simply extra cash added, and the free publicity you might get out of it at the sametime.

I am only focusing on the earth generator, since it is the part that has been the most disclosed, and I'm assuming it is also a completly finished product since it's one of the bases of COS, so maybe it's marketable?


If they did that it would only be a matter of time before someone stole their idea.


All good suggestions from Squishy, but he made the (false) assumption that the earth generator is completely finished. It is a LONG way from that. This is amazing technology, and what we have done so far with it is really cool stuff, but there are still months and months of work to go to turn it into what we need, (or something that other companies could use). The potential of the technology is proven, the diversification and use of it is on going. Each week we get a new layer, but we need many layers.

_________________
Remember, patience is a virtue, kill them later. - Poison: from Cathexis: Conspirator's Coin.
http://www.philipblood.com


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:26 am 
Offline
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 15, 2013 12:15 pm
Posts: 182
ah, Indeed I assumed it was done, however, it seems to be in a very advanced stage, and maybe those companies could put some dollars in to speed it up :). Just a suggestion of course.

If you want, I can try to arrange something with one of my former employer, it is an evil oil and gas company, but I could picture them having use for that :). I'm of course not making any promises, but I still got some contacts in the company, and I could talk to them about it if you want/allow me.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:28 am 
Offline
Lead Designer
Lead Designer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:00 am
Posts: 1876
squishy wrote:
ah, Indeed I assumed it was done, however, it seems to be in a very advanced stage, and maybe those companies could put some dollars in to speed it up :). Just a suggestion of course.

If you want, I can try to arrange something with one of my former employer, it is an evil oil and gas company, but I could picture them having use for that :). I'm of course not making any promises, but I still got some contacts in the company, and I could talk to them about it if you want/allow me.


I'm just not sure what use they would have for it. This technology creates new planets and new kinds of foliage. It does not recreate reality (as in earth or earth foliage). It has some usefulness in that underneath of that there is an amazing rendering system that allows fine detail close up and yet vast vistas as well. But... again, this is making fantasy terrain, not real terrain.

Uses I can see in the future for this technology is the creation of endless planets for a space game, where you can find and visit or own planets, and develop those planets how you wish (settlements, mining, farming, etc., or just a base of operations to build new ships for your vision of galactic conquest).

But again, these are science fiction or fantasy planets, not reality. I can't think of anything an oil company could do with this technology.

_________________
Remember, patience is a virtue, kill them later. - Poison: from Cathexis: Conspirator's Coin.
http://www.philipblood.com


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:08 pm 
Offline
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 15, 2013 12:15 pm
Posts: 182
Oh, I thought you could input parameters, and generate sort of a replica of an actual terrain (trust me, that they can use in drilling :) ).

If it can only generate random terrain, then indeed, they would not need it :(.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:27 pm 
Offline
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 12:07 pm
Posts: 134
squishy wrote:
Oh, I thought you could input parameters, and generate sort of a replica of an actual terrain (trust me, that they can use in drilling :) ).

If it can only generate random terrain, then indeed, they would not need it :(.


The problem with what the type of world you would want to create squishy is that we don't have those parameters for the earth. We know that the earth was formed by a ton of meteorites and asteroids colliding together to eventually form the planet. As is it right now we have no idea what asteroids hit where and what size and speed they hit at. I doubt we even have a clue on the size of the asteroid that collided with the earth to break off the moon.

Almost all of these craters have been covered by the shifting plates over the course of billions of years. Even the most recent ones in the last 300 million or so are covered up in this manor. Infact its the oil/natural gas drilling that informs us of where they have occurred due drilling out the type of minerals that can only be formed by the temperature and pressure involved in that meteor impact.

Also from what I have gathered from their video teaser, they start with a planet that was already formed then they terraform it from there. I don't think organic decay to insert packets of oil, and then create fault lines to access the hydrocarbons is on the scope of things they are trying to do with this game :P


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:06 pm 
Offline
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 15, 2013 12:15 pm
Posts: 182
Ooh well :)


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:46 pm 
Offline
Lead Designer
Lead Designer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:00 am
Posts: 1876
However, what we can do is make some really interesting new planets, which will be great for CoS, and later for a science fiction game where we create entire star systems to explore.

_________________
Remember, patience is a virtue, kill them later. - Poison: from Cathexis: Conspirator's Coin.
http://www.philipblood.com


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » CoS: General Discussion of the Game


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron