CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » CoS: General Discussion of the Game

Post Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:56 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Have you considered using your earth generating engines to some schools or other big companies that could make use of it?

I mean, a software that can create earth, and allow simulations speed up, with erosion etc taken into account, I'm quite sure some areas could be insterested in buying that product, to help finance the game, and at the sametime, allow you to say X is using our earth building technology. That's always a plus to have some big name saying they're using something in the game :).

Part of my work experiences, showed me that most innovations are actually made by games first, and then used in a different manner by other places. Takes physx for example, it's been used for simulation of real life physics effect along other things :).

Maybe contacting nasa? They might have a use for simulating the creation of a planet, and seeing if they're habitable or not from the parameters input in the creator :) Just throwing some ideas there since I can't finance the game myself :).

My idea there is simply extra cash added, and the free publicity you might get out of it at the sametime.

I am only focusing on the earth generator, since it is the part that has been the most disclosed, and I'm assuming it is also a completly finished product since it's one of the bases of COS, so maybe it's marketable?

Post Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:43 am 
Patron Herald
Patron Herald

squishy wrote:
Have you considered using your earth generating engines to some schools or other big companies that could make use of it?

I mean, a software that can create earth, and allow simulations speed up, with erosion etc taken into account, I'm quite sure some areas could be insterested in buying that product, to help finance the game, and at the sametime, allow you to say X is using our earth building technology. That's always a plus to have some big name saying they're using something in the game :).

Part of my work experiences, showed me that most innovations are actually made by games first, and then used in a different manner by other places. Takes physx for example, it's been used for simulation of real life physics effect along other things :).

Maybe contacting nasa? They might have a use for simulating the creation of a planet, and seeing if they're habitable or not from the parameters input in the creator :) Just throwing some ideas there since I can't finance the game myself :).

My idea there is simply extra cash added, and the free publicity you might get out of it at the sametime.

I am only focusing on the earth generator, since it is the part that has been the most disclosed, and I'm assuming it is also a completly finished product since it's one of the bases of COS, so maybe it's marketable?

If they did that it would only be a matter of time before someone stole their idea.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:00 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

KanedaSyndrome wrote:
squishy wrote:

If they did that it would only be a matter of time before someone stole their idea.

All good suggestions from Squishy, but he made the (false) assumption that the earth generator is completely finished. It is a LONG way from that. This is amazing technology, and what we have done so far with it is really cool stuff, but there are still months and months of work to go to turn it into what we need, (or something that other companies could use). The potential of the technology is proven, the diversification and use of it is on going. Each week we get a new layer, but we need many layers.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:26 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

ah, Indeed I assumed it was done, however, it seems to be in a very advanced stage, and maybe those companies could put some dollars in to speed it up :). Just a suggestion of course.

If you want, I can try to arrange something with one of my former employer, it is an evil oil and gas company, but I could picture them having use for that :). I'm of course not making any promises, but I still got some contacts in the company, and I could talk to them about it if you want/allow me.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:28 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

squishy wrote:
ah, Indeed I assumed it was done, however, it seems to be in a very advanced stage, and maybe those companies could put some dollars in to speed it up :). Just a suggestion of course.

If you want, I can try to arrange something with one of my former employer, it is an evil oil and gas company, but I could picture them having use for that :). I'm of course not making any promises, but I still got some contacts in the company, and I could talk to them about it if you want/allow me.

I'm just not sure what use they would have for it. This technology creates new planets and new kinds of foliage. It does not recreate reality (as in earth or earth foliage). It has some usefulness in that underneath of that there is an amazing rendering system that allows fine detail close up and yet vast vistas as well. But... again, this is making fantasy terrain, not real terrain.

Uses I can see in the future for this technology is the creation of endless planets for a space game, where you can find and visit or own planets, and develop those planets how you wish (settlements, mining, farming, etc., or just a base of operations to build new ships for your vision of galactic conquest).

But again, these are science fiction or fantasy planets, not reality. I can't think of anything an oil company could do with this technology.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:08 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Oh, I thought you could input parameters, and generate sort of a replica of an actual terrain (trust me, that they can use in drilling :) ).

If it can only generate random terrain, then indeed, they would not need it :(.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:27 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

squishy wrote:
Oh, I thought you could input parameters, and generate sort of a replica of an actual terrain (trust me, that they can use in drilling :) ).

If it can only generate random terrain, then indeed, they would not need it :(.

The problem with what the type of world you would want to create squishy is that we don't have those parameters for the earth. We know that the earth was formed by a ton of meteorites and asteroids colliding together to eventually form the planet. As is it right now we have no idea what asteroids hit where and what size and speed they hit at. I doubt we even have a clue on the size of the asteroid that collided with the earth to break off the moon.

Almost all of these craters have been covered by the shifting plates over the course of billions of years. Even the most recent ones in the last 300 million or so are covered up in this manor. Infact its the oil/natural gas drilling that informs us of where they have occurred due drilling out the type of minerals that can only be formed by the temperature and pressure involved in that meteor impact.

Also from what I have gathered from their video teaser, they start with a planet that was already formed then they terraform it from there. I don't think organic decay to insert packets of oil, and then create fault lines to access the hydrocarbons is on the scope of things they are trying to do with this game :P

Post Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:06 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Ooh well :)

Post Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:46 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

However, what we can do is make some really interesting new planets, which will be great for CoS, and later for a science fiction game where we create entire star systems to explore.

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » CoS: General Discussion of the Game