CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » CoS: General Discussion of the Game

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:56 pm 
Fallen Hero

Marketing is indeed very expensive. But not everything is flawed, reviewers and ppl making comments on youtube do it most of the times for the fun of it.

JeremyJahns is honest with his opinions on movie reviews.

gigguk speaks his mind on the best of sarcastic tones when talking about an anime show.

ForceSC2strategy has lots of videos of games and news, and you can see that first of all, the person talking is a gammer, who enjoys talking about games.

All the names involved on these channels see lots of free publicity and there are several ppl doing it with the same passion. Ofc there is the counterpart, the fan/hate boys. But that is another issue.

Marketing is expensive and flawed, but trying to get the attention by free formats using your videos and images is also a marketing strategy.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:55 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

I hadn't read this topic yet because the first post seemed quite lengthy.. I've taken the time now and I'm torn about it.

Even though I pledged I still feel slightly skeptical about it all.. the quote that keeps coming up in my head is "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is" I read about the primer paint and I think to myself: Well sure, it's not exactly current date.. makes me remember the cinematics in Might and Magic 6/7/8 and the vibe of it all is amazing on the screen material I've seen.

Now, ofcourse part of my skepticality (did I make that word up) is because a lot of the things promised have simply not been done, and yes companies have lied to us. However, even though the primer might make it look outdated.. a bad paint job can ruin the entire car.

I took this into account, and it's what made me pledge. Going through everything the people at MMO Magic had written and recorded I felt a great amount of passion, and a vision that I share with them through and through.. I want to be able to see this pre-alpha product turn into a game that'll make me forget that I have work in the morning. This game has so much potential, and I'll help when I can!

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:01 pm 
Citadel Recruit

Liefde wrote:
I hadn't read this topic yet because the first post seemed quite lengthy.. I've taken the time now and I'm torn about it.

Even though I pledged I still feel slightly skeptical about it all.. the quote that keeps coming up in my head is "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is" I read about the primer paint and I think to myself: Well sure, it's not exactly current date.. makes me remember the cinematics in Might and Magic 6/7/8 and the vibe of it all is amazing on the screen material I've seen.

Now, ofcourse part of my skepticality (did I make that word up) is because a lot of the things promised have simply not been done, and yes companies have lied to us. However, even though the primer might make it look outdated.. a bad paint job can ruin the entire car.

I took this into account, and it's what made me pledge. Going through everything the people at MMO Magic had written and recorded I felt a great amount of passion, and a vision that I share with them through and through.. I want to be able to see this pre-alpha product turn into a game that'll make me forget that I have work in the morning. This game has so much potential, and I'll help when I can!

Perfectly said.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:40 pm 

As has been said, I think part of the problem here is that CoS just isn't very well-known.
That seems strange, considering its ambitions, but I never heard of it until about a week or two ago, and then only because I was browsing through the giant list of MMOs on MMORPG.com.

In my experience, it just doesn't seem that CoS is something that's present in the general MMO-gamer's thoughts in the way games like WoW, GW2, Planetside 2, or even games like TERA are.

I'm honestly perplexed how something like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-Xj-VaYrvg
doesn't get more attention. It's by far the most interesting video on an MMO I've seen since Barnett was doing the videos for Warhammer Online.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:58 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

I think we will see many more people interested in CoS after the Alpha is done. It is still too early for most gamers to understand what CoS is or what it can be.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:43 pm 

Jalitan wrote:
I think we will see many more people interested in CoS after the Alpha is done. It is still too early for most gamers to understand what CoS is or what it can be.

Well people keep trickling in and at some point , it will become a flow and then a torrent. :)

Look Down.....

Post Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:11 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Yup. I think it being pre-alpha is what tends to...how to word it...give people a false sense of "lack of interest" so to speak. To put it another way, this is the first game that has remotely went pulbic at this point in development. So ya, there is a lot of primer paint still showing. Yes, some do have a hard time with that, since no other company has shown anything this early on, so those that are "not yet convinced" are going by the old norm of not showing anything till it's all shiney and neat.

I beleive the team said it was a calculated risk so to speak. Overall, i think it was a success, not only for CoS, but for MMO's in general, as now that others game makers see this stuff is real, it will put pressure out there for everybody else to rise to the occasion. I beleive this game is the next evolution of the genre, and in time everybody will see that as well.

Ok, my rambling is done for now. Thanks for your attention :lol:

Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:33 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

there is a saying "don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things" ... I have played mmo's for the past 10 years continuously (maybe 2 or 3 two month breaks). I usually play roughly 8 hours per day ( i am disabled). Since reading what the developers are putting into this game, I just hope it is finished a few years prior to my leaving this planet. I am so ready to start playing.

Take your time creating the game. A great game (while it takes longer to create) is far better than an average game hastily done. I just hope the "ignore list" is huge, so I can put all the "complainers" to bed!!!

Found the game 2 weeks ago, made my first donation (definately not my last) after reading what the developers are creating.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:18 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

in my opinion (and mind you i am a cynical bastard) this team consists of people that are really, really nice; honest; enough for someone to have hope in, and hard working; people with a vision and i like that; i wholeheartedly believe they deserve my support. If that makes me a fool in the long run, well, my loss :)

-however- !

They fail to communicate the game's spirit in a way sufficient to attract any a mass of players.. :)
Discrepancies..take the KS video..happy funny let's all laugh with jokes video, only i was expecting it to address me in a manner more fitting to an adult. That being since this game itself is about an evolution, maturity and opening up of a stagnant genre. About thinking, grown up players and so on.. Then you had a presentation of the land morphing engine.. just when i am about to say alright, they are mainly trying for the broader masses here, fair enough, hence the joking/light manner, i get that engine part.. which would have been ----perfect---- for those that this game is supposed to attract. No, this didn't help attract both, this merely confused. I had to wonder which part stands, which representation of the team and its dream stands for and which one does not. Forum discussions in places non-CoS have shown me i was not the only one thinking so.

It is something that i have experienced yet again in the subjects of questing/freedom/way of playing..when i first came here, way before i bothered to register, i came under the impression that i would be getting my PvE -sandbox- of my dreams..the quest maniphesto/parable alone on the site's page had me to-ta-lly convinced that this was it..reading Philip's notes and forum replies however has shown me that i was quite wrong, at least in some subjects. That this is a game..'closed'..in some aspects, despite the vast (just my opinion) potential of the 3 engines they have got going..it is once again something that has being reflected in other forums, one only has to look at the types of questions newer people pose regarding CoS.

With the danger of sounding like a fool once more acknowledged, i honestly, absolutely, think that if they addressed those 2 in a second campaign followed by a reworking of what and how is shown on their home page (NOT here) things could be well different :)

Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:15 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

I appreciate your opinion, I just have to totally disagree with it. I have noticed a tendency for people to want to dissect the video and say 'That's why CoS didn't do well on KS', except that this isn't true based on the statistic given to us by Kickstarter. Simply put, 70% of people who viewed the video PLEDGED MONEY. This is a fantastic percentage, showing that the video worked perfectly. No, our issue was not the video, it was simply that not enough people ever came to see the video, merely 20 a day.

So for the last three weeks of the KS campaign we spent some few thousands of dollars putting out paid advertisements, none of which increased the flow of people enough to pay for the advertising. Prior to the launch we put articles and interviews about the game on every site that would carry them. And when I tell you that we went on every site, trust me when I tell you this... we took the entire company and quit making the game for two months while every single person did nothing but research web sites and pitch them articles and interviews. Quite a few actually launched the first week of KS.

So, dissecting the video is useless, it did it's job for those that watched it. No, the real issue was that nobody knows about this game, and getting the word out about it is EXTREMELY costly. Most other companies putting games on KS that do well almost always have other games they have released in the past, giving them a built in audience and email list from past players. Or, they have a major publisher behind the game, putting out advertising dollars. We don't have either of those advantages.

As for the first part of your post, that the game isn't what you thought, that is your misunderstanding. I have not changed what I've said about the game, with the small exception of actually adding player housing and businesses (when at first we thought we might not have them). Other than that, I invite you to go read the earliest articles on the game (from six years ago) and compare them to anything I have said recently. Nothing has changed. We have stayed absolutely true to our original design goals, which we put on paper 8 years ago and released articles as early as six years ago. Check MMORPG for those.

In fact, here are links to the earliest articles we ever wrote. I just read them over, every single thing in there is still true in the game today.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game ... t-One.html

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game ... t-Two.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » CoS: General Discussion of the Game