CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » CoS: General Discussion of the Game

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:14 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Question is in the topic.

Personally the open ended game play. No more being bored with nothing to do at endgame!

Post Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:47 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

The ability system. I really wanna see how they got 2010 unique abilities.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:04 am 

Antilurker77 wrote:
The ability system. I really wanna see how they got 2010 unique abilities.

I would stick with the 1890 + Uber abilities, with the complexity of the systems being developed not that hard at all. Look around the forumns and the variety of gameplay most activities can have enhanced elements if you think about it ebnough. Other posts do explain that some of the ability lines contribute/compliment each other whilst still being unique.

So what you want in a game is lots of variety; You will likely never see half the abilities as so many of them have to be quested for "Tomes of Knowledge", that doesn't mean they don't exist.

One think to consider is the number of gameplay elements that exist, with respect to Exploration / Travel / Tactics /Communication /Types of Leagues and approach to quest elements lots of opportunities to improve skills/abilities. This list can go on and on and on.

Posted a few old quotes that are dotted about the site theres a lot more info if you dig a little

Abilities (Unique)
(Morphael)
“Our abilities are not just name changes. Our specific design requires that no ability overlaps another. It's extremely daunting and a massive amount of work.

We worked hard to make every single ability one that you want to get because we want choice to matter. We want to reward people for thinking and playing smart and this includes how they choose and use their abilities.”

Abilities Challenge and how the numbers were arrived at !!
“No kidding, I couldn't agree more. Creating our list of Abilities has been daunting. The number of Abilities came from some simple math. Due to Uber Abilities (something we haven't yet discussed), there needed to be 54 base Abilities in each League.

A base Abilities is a kind of similar line of skill or magic, though not the same Ability at all. Example: one line of magic might be fire spells. But... just because two spells use fire does not make them even remotely the same. One can be a fireball that tracks and strikes a moving opponent, while another could be an exploding blast that strikes a location and continues to burn an area of ground (or anyone within the flames).

So, each League needed 54 base lines. Then, within each base line we wanted seven unique Abilities using that base (like the fire example above), one for each Tier of the Citadel. That means 7 x 54 = 378, multiplied times the five Leagues of Knowledge, 378 x 5 = 1890. This is the maximum number of Abilities for the game, though we may or may not reach that number, but it will be up close to that number.

So now that we knew how many we needed, the question that arose was, can we make 1890 unique Abilities? Not only that, but each and every one of those 1890 Abilities needed to be able to be improved by study and practice, nearly indefinitely. If you think this is easy, you haven't been in on the hundreds of hours of design meetings on Abilities for CoS.

Look Down.....

Post Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:00 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

The world.

I'm going to try to circumnavigate the world

Post Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:21 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

The story, quests and lore. I want to feel like I'm living inside a living breathing fantasy novel. The Lord of the Rings online was the closest I got in that direction, but this is going to be something totally out of this world, I can feel it!

Post Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:44 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

I am excited to play a game that offers so much to do that it will keep my interest for years and years and years. Finally a game is coming out that offers more then just PvP and questing. There will be so many sideline interests - I haven't seen so many things happening in one game since I played SWG pre-NGE. From housing, to going to the Theatre, to gambling, to collecting monsters, etc...... Once this game gets released, all other MMO's will become irrelevant in my eyes.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:49 pm 

For me this is a toss-up between the ability choice and the open world. They both remind me of AC1, where i could choose any ability I wanted or just take off and explore where I wanted. There were times in AC1 where I would just start running in a direction and just keep going for hours, just to see what was out there.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:26 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

The quests. Making a MMORPG that has the feel of a well done single-player game is exactly what I've been seeking for a long time.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:45 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Isane wrote:
I would stick with the 1890 + Uber abilities, with the complexity of the systems being developed not that hard at all. Look around the forumns and the variety of gameplay most activities can have enhanced elements if you think about it ebnough. Other posts do explain that some of the ability lines contribute/compliment each other whilst still being unique.

So what you want in a game is lots of variety; You will likely never see half the abilities as so many of them have to be quested for "Tomes of Knowledge", that doesn't mean they don't exist.

One think to consider is the number of gameplay elements that exist, with respect to Exploration / Travel / Tactics /Communication /Types of Leagues and approach to quest elements lots of opportunities to improve skills/abilities. This list can go on and on and on.

I'm quite familiar with how they've gotten such a large number of skills. I've looked up every scrap of information they've released about the game. However, I'm still very interested to see the complete list and the variety of abilities available.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:31 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

As there have been a few of you who mentioned the exploration part of it. As a tip don't go too far or there will be something very willing and able to eat you. ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » CoS: General Discussion of the Game