CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Races




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Language
 Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:27 am 
Offline
Citadel Guardian
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 10:24 pm
Posts: 85
Location: Clown Town
I was just wondering how the writing and design team was thinking of approaching this. Will there be multiple languages that correspond with each race? Would region effect the way language is developed, sort of how it did in the real world (I would really like for there to be a different dialect for each region as it would make those quests with regional factions more enjoyable)? Will we, as Fallen Heroes, already understand the basic grammar rules of all the races' languages and be able understand them from the get-go or would it be more of trial and error as we venture across the lands?

_________________
Image

"Happiness and moral duty are inseparably connected."
~George Washington


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Language
 Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:01 am 
Offline
Lead Designer
Lead Designer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:00 am
Posts: 1876
Though we would love to design multiple languages, we probably won't have the time. We're spending our development time on the game play (epic quests, etc.). There will be regional accents, and there will be some flavor of racial speech, but at this time we are going with a common tongue used throughout the RWs.

_________________
Remember, patience is a virtue, kill them later. - Poison: from Cathexis: Conspirator's Coin.
http://www.philipblood.com


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Language
 Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:55 pm 
Offline
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 10:03 am
Posts: 42
the idea of this seems extremely interesting. maybe could have a skill or something that could slowly translate the languages into english as if you are learning them till your a fluent in the language. this could give an advantage to people that already know multiple languages but i dont see a problem with it as long as its not where the have a big advantage. but this would only be if there is time cause i would much rather have more gameplay than language

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Language
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:17 am 
Offline
Hero of the Citadel
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:47 am
Posts: 565
Location: India
I just hope Subtitles ll b available in english....
Wont matter which language u use then....

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Language
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:28 am 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator

Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:47 pm
Posts: 812
devilzxdemon wrote:
I just hope Subtitles ll b available in english....
Wont matter which language u use then....


This is about in game languages please read the subject. You are so off topic , you're posting for the sake of it. This thread is about in game Languages.

_________________
The Signs are in the sky.

Look Down.....


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Language
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:44 am 
Offline
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:10 pm
Posts: 303
sanoh wrote:
the idea of this seems extremely interesting. maybe could have a skill or something that could slowly translate the languages into english as if you are learning them till your a fluent in the language.


Oh you brought back the memories of "The Longest Journey" a point and click adventure game I played in the late nineties I think (correct me if I'm wrong). The first time you entered the parallel universe you could not understand the language but then slowly throughout the conversation parts of it started making sense. You made me want to dig out my old CDs lol. Shame on you :evil:

_________________
Allons-y


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Language
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:01 am 
Offline
Hero of the Citadel
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:47 am
Posts: 565
Location: India
Isane wrote:
devilzxdemon wrote:
I just hope Subtitles ll b available in english....
Wont matter which language u use then....


This is about in game languages please read the subject. You are so off topic , you're posting for the sake of it. This thread is about in game Languages.



The ingame languages used can b anythin as long as subtitles r in englsih.....
U can learn the language by watchin the subtitles and tryin to figure out which word matches which.....

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Language
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:39 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator

Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:47 pm
Posts: 812
devilzxdemon wrote:
Isane wrote:
devilzxdemon wrote:
I just hope Subtitles ll b available in english....
Wont matter which language u use then....


This is about in game languages please read the subject. You are so off topic , you're posting for the sake of it. This thread is about in game Languages.



The ingame languages used can b anythin as long as subtitles r in englsih.....
U can learn the language by watchin the subtitles and tryin to figure out which word matches which.....


Crossed purposes , this was about having in game languages. That can be learnt , the way ive seen this implemented a charachter not knowing a text or spoken element just garbles what you can see.

The real world language is irrelevant as that is just another mapping i.e any real world language a game would support can be used.

_________________
The Signs are in the sky.

Look Down.....


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Language
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:30 am 
Offline
Hero of the Citadel
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:47 am
Posts: 565
Location: India
yeah yeah watever!!!!!!!!!!!

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Language
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:12 am 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator

Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:47 pm
Posts: 812
devilzxdemon wrote:
yeah yeah watever!!!!!!!!!!!


Wierd ... If you want real languages in game thats the way it works ; if you subtitle every language with an "out of game subtitles i.e English" why bother ?

Just trying to point out the obvious ....

_________________
The Signs are in the sky.

Look Down.....


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Races


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron