CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Races

Post subject: Favorite Race?
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:01 am 

I'm having trouble deciding what race I want to start with at launch. I'm sure there are many people with the same problem. Therefore, I'm starting this thread to hear people's thoughts on their favorite race or races.

Please tell us your favorite race(s) and why they are your favorite.

Post subject: Re: Favorite Race?
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:58 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Waerian!

Why?
Well, I have never seen in any MMO a race that lived under water, I'm curious about their infrastructure and coral cities, the way their dwellings are arranged and how they handle themselves in and out of water. To explore the bottoms of lakes and rivers without the fear of suffocating or drowning.

It doesn't hurt that the lore is great as well, intelligent beings who aren't fooled by just anyone who claims power or divinity. They , just like myself, are skeptical of claims without proof and prefer to forge their own destiny trusting only themselves.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:17 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

We made each of the races with some major useful trait, but we wanted these traits to have nothing to do with a character 'class' (even though we don't have any character classes). You know what I mean, if we gave the Verdurens stronger 'magic' , then everyone who wanted to fashion themselves into a Mage would always choose to be a Verduren.

Hence, the special traits of any race don't lend to one kind of character type. Waerians can breath underwater (and will swim faster too!). This does not make them a better warrior or mage, or healer, or shoe salesman, you get my drift. Since the brief on each race has already been released, I'll leave it to you guys to post what the major trait is for each race, see if you can figure it out.

Now, as to which race I want to play, well as you can see from my Avatar I'm leaning toward Gargoyle, but that's only this week, I really haven't decided quite yet. I also like the Jenemos and Humans (both for the comedy and role playing elements), but I often pick my characters more by what I think will be the most useful, still... both the Jenemos and Human Special Traits could be very useful... hmm, it's a difficult choice... and was meant to be. We want equal amounts of all races in the game, so we made sure they were all useful. My indecision is due to our own designs.. argh.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:41 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Is there any race other than Tyven? I see your jaws moving but all I keep hearing is 'why pick anything other than Tyven, of course!' Of course we are the perfect race; we are fierce! we are insanely smart! we never run from a fight unlike many gargoyles I have met and some claim we have a strong musk but you ask any female Tyven and they will tell you we smell sweeter than sun-baked eggs! It is good to be us, we love ourselves and we love eggs! No need to bother yourself with anything else. :D

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:49 am 
Citadel Guardian

Denngarr wrote:
I'm having trouble deciding what race I want to start with at launch. I'm sure there are many people with the same problem. Therefore, I'm starting this thread to hear people's thoughts on their favorite race or races.

Please tell us your favorite race(s) and why they are your favorite.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you don't have to worry about choosing right now. You don't choose a race at launch, instead you'll play until you have enough experience to become something more advanced. IE: A new race.
Source: http://citadelofsorcery.com/questions/questlist.php?Q=4
I'll keep thinking about what I'm going to be regardless... :P

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:45 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Hmm, I'm leaning more toward human myself. I've heard they won't be just a boring, generic race with no special qualities. Plus, I'm not really enthralled with the prospect of being a plant or...fish guy. And a Tyven looks like something that would end up under the tires of my car after I'm caught dozing on a mountain road :shock: .

All kidding aside, I often like a flexible race that allows me to choose the areas I'd like to focus on. Humans are often good for that. And I don't really have anything against the other races. Some of the races are very original compared to other games and should make for a great variety to choose from once things get going.

Oh, and that part about you don't choose your race at the beginning sounds like the game will recommend a race based on decisions you make in the initial process. But that's only speculation on my part.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:59 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Lonfer wrote:
Oh, and that part about you don't choose your race at the beginning sounds like the game will recommend a race based on decisions you make in the initial process. But that's only speculation on my part.

Well, not really. Good speculation though. ;)

It is true that you will start out as human in Citadel of Sorcery. But, the reason behind this is a bit different. Your race will not be based on decisions you make in the initial process, just the opposite. We wanted to change how games start.

Our thought was this, why make players make binding decisions about their character in the first five minutes (or hour) that they enter the game? That's when they know the absolute LEAST about the game, world, races, abilities, classes, etc. It would be like asking a baby what they want to major in in college, or what sport they will like, etc. Hell, they don't know, they have no basis if knowledge for comparison yet.

We want players to get into the game as fast as possible when they start so they can start learning about the world. Later they can decide about what Abilities they want to choose (defining their class, so to speak), and what race they want to be (because they have learned about and dealt with those races by now in the game world).

So we start you as human, as ALL of the free races once started. And just like them, you can become one of the other races at the time of YOUR choice, or you can remain one of the first race (human).

Humans, unlike some other games, are NOT the mud race, good for everything. Well, they are good for everything... but so are all the other races. Each has its unique traits, but all of them are good for any type of character you want to create. Humans are just as unique as all of the other races, with their own strange quirks, both good and bad. You'll have to decide what is best for you, but you will get to decide that when you want, not at the start of the game.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:13 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Ah, yes. I forgot that all races started as humans. I need to re-read the lore...again.

Thanks for the great info, Jatar :) .

Post Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:21 am 

I think it's good because in other games I had to first create a character to learn the game, then create a new one when I knew what I needed to become what I wanted :cry: , but it still sounds a little weird that you will suddenly turn into another race. However, I'm sure that there will be a logical explanation. :)

Post Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:30 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

iirc the lore said every race started as a human and morphed into the various races for different reasons. I would guess that you would explore these reasons as a human and if you chose to do whatever your race of choice did then you would become that race as well.

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Races