CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Game Play

Post Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:22 am 

Someone asked the question about voice; Now I was thinking wouldnt it be interesting if the voice option was only available integrated in game. And both written and spoken communication could actually generate noise that would give a position away or attract attention.

I am only talking noise here with the voice or local says being heard or seen if you are close enough (very local) or have the right skills to snoop or listen.

Justa thought i this technically possible at the moment.

Look Down.....

Post Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:31 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Isane wrote:
Someone asked the question about voice; Now I was thinking wouldnt it be interesting if the voice option was only available integrated in game. And both written and spoken communication could actually generate noise that would give a position away or attract attention.

I am only talking noise here with the voice or local says being heard or seen if you are close enough (very local) or have the right skills to snoop or listen.

We thought of this, and other things like it, the problem we noted was that if you make it a disadvantage to use the built in voice, then players will just use outside voice systems, like Skype or Teamviewer. Since we would prefer that all players use out built in system (so that they can walk up to any other player and start talking, we use a close proximity auto voice system) we don't want to push players to use a different system. On the flip side, we're working on enhancements that make using the built in system advantageous, so that players want to use it rather than outside systems.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:54 pm 

Jatar wrote:
Isane wrote:

We thought of this, and other things like it, the problem we noted was that if you make it a disadvantage to use the built in voice, then players will just use outside voice systems, like Skype or Teamviewer. Since we would prefer that all players use out built in system (so that they can walk up to any other player and start talking, we use a close proximity auto voice system) we don't want to push players to use a different system. On the flip side, we're working on enhancements that make using the built in system advantageous, so that players want to use it rather than outside systems.

That sounds great yet again; Could make for some interesting situations.

Look Down.....

Post Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:48 pm 
Citadel Guardian

External Teamspeak 3 for the win :P :)

Post Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:09 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Very nice. I was wondering, will all NPC's have audio voice, and if so, how many voice actors will you have to fill their shoes?

Post Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:01 pm 
Citadel Recruit

As a player of a game that has built in VC, DDO, I can tell you that it can be invaluable, but I would add the following: There are time when I need it to be quiet while I play and rely on old fashion type-chat. Also, you are saying that your VC is a "close proximity auto voice system" and not limited to a group, seems to lend itself to a lot of voice-griefing in game. I mean some of us that play also have children in the room or have children that play, if you catch the drift.

There is one thing that the DDO game chat doesn't have that I hope you will have, individualized volume control sliders for each group member (or active VC member in your case), so that when you group and one member seem louder than the rest or too low, you can fine tune that member and not have to turn him up and the rest become too loud.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:35 am 

Lonfer wrote:
will all NPC's have audio voice, and if so, how many voice actors will you have to fill their shoes?

It was mentioned that there would have to be way too much sound data to properly voice everything NPC's will be saying, but there will still be plenty. Although, I would assume the number of actors would depend on the funding once a publisher has been seduced.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:57 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Marten wrote:
As a player of a game that has built in VC, DDO, I can tell you that it can be invaluable, but I would add the following: There are time when I need it to be quiet while I play and rely on old fashion type-chat. Also, you are saying that your VC is a "close proximity auto voice system" and not limited to a group, seems to lend itself to a lot of voice-griefing in game. I mean some of us that play also have children in the room or have children that play, if you catch the drift.

You can shut proximity VC off, if you need to.

Marten wrote:
There is one thing that the DDO game chat doesn't have that I hope you will have, individualized volume control sliders for each group member (or active VC member in your case), so that when you group and one member seem louder than the rest or too low, you can fine tune that member and not have to turn him up and the rest become too loud.

Yes, this is planned.

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Game Play