CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Game Play

Post subject: Re: pvp
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:43 pm 
Fallen Hero

amusedmonkey wrote:
Well, I can totally understand how and why people like PvP, but it's exactly why CoS is restricting PvP to an arena, because for a game with such an engaging story and lore having people be "territorial" killing random "idiots" who are just trying to enjoy their story would beat the purpose.

Don't judge!!! jk np it was part of the game, to be an idiot and take over the best levling spots.

Games more pvp oriented tend do have less room for lore focus. Understandable that CoS will not follow that path.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:00 pm 

amusedmonkey wrote:
Well, I can totally understand how and why people like PvP, but it's exactly why CoS is restricting PvP to an arena, because for a game with such an engaging story and lore having people be "territorial" killing random "idiots" who are just trying to enjoy their story would beat the purpose.

There are other games for wildly running around one-hitting freshly created characters or dancing around those who are too strong to kill just to annoy them. CoS is a different ball game, the main focus is the story not the goofing around. As for those who do like the challenge of PvP there is an arena to get their fix, this way everyone gets to enjoy the game without grief.

Personally, I have other interests in games and I tend to stay away from open word PvP games because there is always a bunch who have their fun by ruining the fun of others.

So So true , that line sums so much up . I think a lot of us want to have fun, people can only mess your storyline up in CoS if you invite them to .. :)

Look Down.....

Post Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:42 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

I totally agree with amusedmonkey and Isane.
I decided a week or so ago to try out an old game that just went FTP. Created my character, stepped into the world and got a PVP challenge within 30 seconds!
One of the reasons I left the game to begin with.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:16 pm 

Wyndyn wrote:
I totally agree with amusedmonkey and Isane.
I decided a week or so ago to try out an old game that just went FTP. Created my character, stepped into the world and got a PVP challenge within 30 seconds!
One of the reasons I left the game to begin with.

Wyndyn, one real amusing thing is that I have 3 real good friends who will all play this ; And I will invite them into my world regardless. And the results will be chaos.... If they even get close to killing a nemesis or winding me up they will do , and likewise I will do the same ... What is different is theres no malice we will always find it amusing after getting annoyed.

Pickup type players in any game just don't fall into the same category because they are not real friends . What I have found in the past is that if I end up with 10 community based friends from a game that is a lot. Four or five about the norm and I would probably only hunt with a couple the others would relate to trade or crafting and chatting.

So CoS and the way the Devs have worked it is , no enforced missery and the real PvPers get a chance to display their real skills. The Gankers and no hopers get kicked into touch its win win and a system i like the looks of (fits well with CoS, because it was designed to fit).

Look Down.....

Post Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:16 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Mattrellen wrote:
I played a game where not all PvP was straight up combat. There was one arena that had a player trying to avoid getting killed while holding an orb, and while he was alive, he got points, faster in more dangerous areas, while another single player tried to kill him. When the player died, they traded situations, highest score won.

In another totally different game, two teams would try to gather ingredients to make rum. There was no combat, but teams got to fight each other by burning down bridges, equipment, trees, etc.

I've always felt that this style of PvP is more fun, more full of lore, and tends to inspire more friendly competition than normal straight up combat.

I will agree that CoS has so much more to offer that, unless you're pretty hardcore for it, everything else will probably keep you busy for a lifetime anyway. Generally PvP is set up to provide more to do after you've done everything else. If the world, the lore, and the people can keep you entertained forever, PvP will likely take a backseat to other things for people like us, unless it's very creative.

That being said, CoS is going to be so creative in so many other aspects, it wouldn't surprise me to see the PvP have some options interesting enough for those of us who are interested in other things to dabble in it to some extent.

What he said.

Although we haven't released too much about our plans for the Shadow Arena yet, it's kind of my little baby. Not that I'm solely responsible for the design, as we do all of our work as a team, but I'm a pvp addict. I get a little, tiny bit obsessed when it comes to the Shadow Arena. I'm probably one of those people you hated with a passion =/ I've learned a lot since then, and I'm not as horrible, but I'm still very enthusiastic about good ole fashioned competition.

As time moves on and we are able to release more of this design (which is tied very closely with our combat systems), you can rest assured that we have more than just "kill them" planned. And that isn't just for the PvPers either. Our Shadow Arena is going to do some things that EVERYONE will want to get involved with.

"Purging is at last at hand. Day of Doom is here. All that is evil, all their allies; your parents, your leaders, those who would call themselves your judges; those who have lied and corrupted the Earth, they shall all be cleansed." ~Thulsa Doom

Post Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:49 pm 

Mattrellen wrote:

That being said, CoS is going to be so creative in so many other aspects, it wouldn't surprise me to see the PvP have some options interesting enough for those of us who are interested in other things to dabble in it to some extent.

Yep, my response regarding PvP here is with respect to CoS and it's world Lore and exploration are what I wan't to enjoy the most. With respect to PvP elsewhere (other games, I am not averse to it having played a lot of MO and Darkfall). Shadow Arena sounds fun and the more I hear the more my view may change.

I think I will be looking for relics as a priority .... I am really hoping the A.I does the job of focusing the community in game to beat the world not each other.

Look Down.....

Post Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:47 am 
Citadel Recruit

the pvp will have MANY options! you can make it like runescape where there is like 30 people in a zone and it's ffa but only 1v1, or you can make it so that it's not only a 1v1 but kind of like a royal rumble. Or you can make it alot more organized
and MANY MORE OPTIONS! it is not really your typical mmo "arena" :P!

Post Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:50 pm 
Citadel Recruit

Mattrellen wrote:
Isane wrote:
Dragonhand , well that is where we differ. I have little interest in competing against no-marks in CoS. It is The World, Community and it's lore in "The Citadel" that interests me. And if the cult of the Wooden Dagger gets some reputation for dragonslaying than all is good.

It is what CoS offers here that interests me , if I want PvP i play games where everyone has identical charachters and it is a level playing field. MMOs never provide that so it's pointless.

(And don't take that as I don't like PvP i do , but not with respect to what CoS offers. I don't feel I need to compete in computer games, I do my competing in the Real World).

I do think that competition in a game can add a lot to it, but I'm not too big on traditional PvP, I must admit.

I played a game where not all PvP was straight up combat. There was one arena that had a player trying to avoid getting killed while holding an orb, and while he was alive, he got points, faster in more dangerous areas, while another single player tried to kill him. When the player died, they traded situations, highest score won.
Your talking about Fist of Guthix in Runescape right aha :P? that would actually be really fun in CoS as a option in the arena kind of like Cops And Robbers

In another totally different game, two teams would try to gather ingredients to make rum. There was no combat, but teams got to fight each other by burning down bridges, equipment, trees, etc.

I've always felt that this style of PvP is more fun, more full of lore, and tends to inspire more friendly competition than normal straight up combat.

I will agree that CoS has so much more to offer that, unless you're pretty hardcore for it, everything else will probably keep you busy for a lifetime anyway. Generally PvP is set up to provide more to do after you've done everything else. If the world, the lore, and the people can keep you entertained forever, PvP will likely take a backseat to other things for people like us, unless it's very creative.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:57 pm 

Your talking about Fist of Guthix in Runescape right

Halo does it too with oddball. Although, even saying "non combat objective PvP" sounds incredibly interesting.

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Game Play