CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Game Play

Post Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:26 pm 

A note from the kickstarter comments;

Quote:
The Wild is infested with demon created Dark Spawn and Dark Defiled, as well as some Fay races, Grim and Radiant spirits and the occasional creature created by Morphael. It is a very dangerous place, and the further out you get from the 'settled' lands border, the more dangerous it becomes. There are also 1st Age ruins out there, with the possibility of finding a 1st Age artifact

Yet we're told the world is insanely huge! If i decide to explore, and go "west" for example. Is it even possible? Or are we doomed to failed because of those "creatures"?

I HATE with a passion MMOS that have walls whether real or imposed by the supposedly clever use of VERY nasty mobs by the devs to block me from fully exploring. Far too often i've seen this being used and frankly it reeks of laziness! I understand that a trek far far away from civilization shouldnt be a walk in the park but it shouldnt be impossible. After all we did settle the west in the real world.

comments?

Post Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:10 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Senadin wrote:
A note from the kickstarter comments;

Quote:
The Wild is infested with demon created Dark Spawn and Dark Defiled, as well as some Fay races, Grim and Radiant spirits and the occasional creature created by Morphael. It is a very dangerous place, and the further out you get from the 'settled' lands border, the more dangerous it becomes. There are also 1st Age ruins out there, with the possibility of finding a 1st Age artifact

Yet we're told the world is insanely huge! If i decide to explore, and go "west" for example. Is it even possible? Or are we doomed to failed because of those "creatures"?

I HATE with a passion MMOS that have walls whether real or imposed by the supposedly clever use of VERY nasty mobs by the devs to block me from fully exploring. Far too often i've seen this being used and frankly it reeks of laziness! I understand that a trek far far away from civilization shouldnt be a walk in the park but it shouldnt be impossible. After all we did settle the west in the real world.

comments?

Your comparison of CoS to any other fantasy MMORPG is not really valid. You have never been in a world this big. We have all new difficulties to deal with, and because of this we will do whatever we need to so that the game is as fun to play as possible. The maps in the games you refer to are nine million times smaller than a single Reflected World. You may explore parts of our Reflected Worlds, and these areas are many times larger than any fantasy MMORPG ever released. However, we reserve parts of the world for future developement, and other Epic stories. This is why we made it this big in the first place. Alternately, you can go back to games the size of a postage stamp, and see the entire stamp.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:26 pm 
Citadel Recruit

Jatar wrote:
Your comparison of CoS to any other fantasy MMORPG is not really valid. You have never been in a world this big. We have all new difficulties to deal with, and because of this we will do whatever we need to so that the game is as fun to play as possible. The maps in the games you refer to are nine million times smaller than a single Reflected World. You may explore parts of our Reflected Worlds, and these areas are many times larger than any fantasy MMORPG ever released. However, we reserve parts of the world for future development, and other Epic stories. This is why we made it this big in the first place. Alternately, you can go back to games the size of a postage stamp, and see the entire stamp.

The concept of a whole world is a bit difficult some times to get your head around. The way I did was I thought about how far I could walk in a days time. Then I started with a city map to get a feel for that distance. Next I calculated a months travel. For this I used a state map. The more time allowed, the bigger the map. I run out of life before I got to the world map. Now granted there may be faster modes of travel than foot and with a fast enough travel speed it could be possible to circle the world. Now you have a path around the world 30 ft wide. A mile wide if flying. A pencil line on a state map. Like they said, There will be places no character sees simply because of distance. There are places on earth that no one has been and humans have been around for how long?!?

Post Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:05 am 

This is why the world of Cos is so alluring to many and intimidating to others. When you look at all modern games they are limited in size largely due to the assumed player mentality that developers have predicted over the years.

What I mean by that is most gamers of my age came from consoles, we had small worlds we ran around in single player games. When the Advent of 3d Graphics was brought around by Chris Roberts Wing Commander things changed and we saw games like UO and EQ come out. However the developers kept the worlds small because that was what players accepted in their minds.

CoS and Star Citizen are breaking this mold, both in different ways but they each have massive worlds that players can access. Now how long will it take to traverse the world/ depends on how often you play and how long you play.

Travel time is same as in the real world so 1 day in game is 1 day Real time. However there are built in tools to increase travel speed and reduce travel time... granted you take the time to find them. Correlating it to the real world there have been individuals who have attempted to fly around the world, walk coast to coast in the US, or even scale the highest mountains.

These are pioneers, which is what we players will be. We players will have the freedom of choice to wander around the world that is full of danger and intrigue, to literally go where no one has gone before. It makes me excited to be a part of this game and look forward to exploring it for years to come.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:56 pm 
Fallen Hero

I disagree with the 1 day=1 day. Say I am only able to get on at the same time every day. I would only ever experience the same part of day. If it was night I would have to always use the black market. If it was day always the aboveground market. You see? It reduces the amount of variety I could get.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Post Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:31 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

We have it set so that a game day is shorter than a real day, and not divisible into 24. This way players who log on the same hour each day will experience the full range of time of day in the RWs.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:18 pm 
Fallen Hero

Thank you! That's exactly what I meant.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Post Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:27 pm 
Hero of the Citadel

Wonder which time will be first when we log in for the very first time... Log in find a dark sky with stars, plan on doing a bit of exploring and after trekking for 30minutes you end up in a village/town...

Post Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:53 am 

Well, i believe it's planned to have time zones. If so, it would be all the times all the time. :P

Post Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:36 pm 

I understand what you meant Mystic and I can see that point. If you can only log in at 8pm everyday then it would mean in a 24 hour time system that you would always log in at night.... now as jatar said its a shortened day so itll loop differently every time you log in.

I am looking forward to the different time cycles with time zones only because I live in the East coast and if I somehow make it 4 timezones away it could change things up dramatically. Also considering we may only find certain creatures at certain times it could also make it worth while.

Now im not a fan of timed event type of creatures... take the Time lost Protodrake in WoW... It only appears at certain times on a cycle, not based on a time server wise. So many players sit and wait for weeks in one area to get a glimpse of this rare creature to try to kill it and get the mount. (I am guilty of this and after 3 years I still hadnt gotten it, I gave up.)

Now with the time zones we could have a little fun with it. say im in a time zone 12 hours ahead.. I want to party more, I can travel 6 time zones back and party even more. Not sure if we will be able to do this in game, but in real life it sure makes it fun to extend a day by 8+ hours... if you can survive the jet lag...

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Game Play