CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Game Play

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:07 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

The OP seems concerned that we aren't letting him roam the entire 900 million sq. Kilometers, and are limiting you all to a few measly million. (Noting that previous MMO titles have limited you to about 900 sq. Kilometers, that's right, not even 1,000, where we will open about 3,000,000.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:39 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

So the quetion of 'why not open all 900 million?" begs to be answered. First of all, the planet is 900 million sq. kilometers, but a large portion of that is ocean (just like Earth). Of the remaining land areas, we plan to use parts of this planet for future games set in this same universe, and will be reserving continents for that purpose. Finally, there is a realistic distance that any player is going to travel in such a big world, and we are giving ample area to explore without so much distance that you have to travel for a real year in one direction to reach something. We prefer to give you nearly endless exploration area, with plenty to find, rather than the whole planet with less things out there. By concentrating on a few million sq. kilometers, we can add unique and interesting things for players to discover, and still give them enough area that no player will see it all, it just isn't possible. If, by some chance, we are wrong, and some player does manage to discover all of the 'discoverable' places, we will open up more of the world before they run out, so that there is always more to see in Citadel of Sorcery. We certainly have the land available for it :)

Post Posted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:58 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

He mentions that he believes the "wild" in which he wants to venture will be just riddled with insanely powerful mobs that make it impossible to even want to go without a death wish. I say to this, with the combat system, at least you won't be 1shotKO'd, and have a chance to escape with your life if you meet one of these mobs. Also, think about real world issues. Let's say you travel deep into a forest riddled with bears, and mountain lions and other largish predators. Though, the chance is there that you will encounter one, the probability still remains low. (I have a philosophical issue with probability, but that's for something else). As well, these mobs that riddle the wild won't be stationed in specific areas, but roaming constantly looking for something, maybe you, maybe not. At the moment you choose to traverse the untamed, uncharted wilds, there could be a chance of absolutely nothing around you for quite literally miles.

then there's the issue of using the designated roads. The developers at CoS are working hard at actually creating reasons to want to use the road system, and a big reason is that they're afraid players will NEVER run in to other players or NPCs. Think about how large this world is that they worry players will be able to almost disappear into the wild. I'm not part of the team, but this is what I gather from what's been said and I could be wrong, but Jatar and the others can't correct misconceptions unless they know what a player's misconceptions are. ;)

Post Posted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:25 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Part of what he is talking about is how we (eventually) stop a player from getting out of the 300,000 sq. kilomters of Wild area in a Territory. We don't put up a hard 'wall', but we do increase the difficulty of monsters at that point, which makes a soft wall. My point is, the distance you have to go out into the wild before you run into this increasingly more difficult monster buffer is so far out that you have years of unexplored wild to use before you get there. And that is only one of many territories in the game. Again, there are several million sq. kilometers of wild to explore in CoS, and there will be several million more in each sequel on this same enormous planet.

If players feel the need to complain about being corralled, then they shouldn't be talking about CoS, they should be complaining about all the other MMO games where the entire world is a tiny dot on our map, in those other games they only have 900 sq. kilometers to explore, period, not millions like in CoS.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:12 am 

I can imagine the competitions guilds would have, to see who can get the furthest through these soft walls without anyone dying. The publicity that would generate would be so fantastic. If anyone dies, they forfeit. Bravery & skill.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:58 pm 

ShadowOfTheAlphaUhm wrote:
I can imagine the competitions guilds would have, to see who can get the furthest through these soft walls without anyone dying. The publicity that would generate would be so fantastic. If anyone dies, they forfeit. Bravery & skill.

Yeah the tests of courage from this type of play could definitely be fun.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:17 pm 
Fallen Hero

No, not when somebody dies. That would just be weird. Oh, one member of our fifty man raid died. We should go back.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Post Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:16 pm 
Citadel Recruit

It would be a contest, not an actual raid. Just because you finish the contest doesn't mean you have to return. You can still push farther if you wish and have bragging rights of we made it this far after one death or we made it this far before we got wiped. You may see a mob that very few will have seen and it may kill you all but "you saw it!"

Post Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:32 pm 
Hero of the Citadel

You can restart the whole contest if one of you dies after a specified alloted time also...

Post Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:17 am 

CopperDragon wrote:
It would be a contest, not an actual raid.

That would be for those involved to agree on. Both would be great fun to have, and both would have their own separate bragging rights.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Game Play